The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chroma by Nicholas Lawrence & Lloyd Barnes (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7931 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Do yourself a favour and go with the majority here. Maddy's review was the show stopper for me. He knows his stuff.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1371 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, Slackerking wrote:
Please stop saying things aren't workable when other people have said they are. Say it's not workable for you. One of the problems with reviews is people act like their experience is everyone's experience. It's very interesting how many times on here well known working magicians like something and give it thumbs up while unknown magi and hobbyists complain about it not being usable. Same thing is happening in the Never There thread right now. They're usable if you want to take the time to make them usable.

I understand your statement. And in most cases, I agree with you 100%!

However, in this case, no amount of practice will get rid of the flash. You absolutely cannot do it as presented live. If you do, I promise your audience will know exactly what happened. They may be too kind to tell you, but they'll walk away saying, "did you see that card ___ real fast?"
HoDinhYu
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of HoDinhYu
I agree with what Slackerking has to say. But I agree with MadisonH in this case. This is one of those camera thing that's just not workable without misdirection. And that's not why I bought the trick.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Interesting. It certainly sounds useable...but people looking directly at it as the 'change' occurs, as presented in the Ellusionist video, will see too much. Pity it was presented as otherwise. In this case, fortunately - and assuming a quality made gaff - it can still be a very workable item. Doesn't reflect well on Ellusionist, though.

Customer: It doesn't work deceptively in a live situation as you, yourself, performed it in the demo.

Ellusionist: What are you complaining about? It's still a good trick! Just try it differently from the video...

:snail:
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1345 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
Nicholas is a worker.

Nicholas, where do you work at? I wanna come see you in action.
Official Thread Killer
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1357 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Quote:
Please stop saying things aren't workable when other people have said they are. Say it's not workable for you. One of the problems with reviews is people act like their experience is everyone's experience. It's very interesting how many times on here well known working magicians like something and give it thumbs up while unknown magi and hobbyists complain about it not being usable. Same thing is happening in the Never There thread right now. They're usable if you want to take the time to make them usable.

There are a lot of "back scratchers" in magic. You know; you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. I'd prefer to hear the views of normal people with nothing to lose
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:

There has always been blatant backslapping in magic, it's not unusual, you see famous authors also endorsing books that I find awful. So I wouldn't necessarily just expect that, because a pro says it's okay , it is.

I tend to have a mental list of people who I think talk sense on here and, if I can't figure out for myself whether it's a good in, I'll see what they think. But there's an awful lot of people who are on my "ignore at all costs" list. Names not included to protect the guilty Smile
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1766 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
So I sat down with this again tonight, figured I'd try to get my moneys worth. I'm very familiar with making gimmicks with the material used here, so I made some tweaks and then actually made a hybrid of Nicholas and Lloyd's gimmicks and that seems to work much better for me. I havent had a chance to try it out on anyone yet, but its not flashing when playing around with it in front of the mirror now. With that said, the gimmick/method is still not new at all, I had to make my own tweaks to improve upon what they taught and the amount of material they give you is very minimal and the shipping cost is very high for what arrives in the mail.... so I still cant say I recommend this, but at least it appears I can get away with performing it now if I choose to.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
SNAPS | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Paul Hughes
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of Paul Hughes
This is all well and good - but this IS Bob Swadling's card change as made by Rob Bromley - Bob has been selling these since the 80's when I first bought a bunch of them - every variation in the video was and still is available - front changes, back changes, front and back changes, card to credit card and vice versa. The mechanism is the same. Really guys, certainly in the UK this is a really, really well known card change effect.

I have no reason to believe that it isn't simply a reinvention, great minds and all that (I love Nicholas' work) - but c'mon - I think Ellusionist needs to talk to Bob and Rob about this.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7931 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2016, Paul Hughes wrote:
This is all well and good - but this IS Bob Swadling's card change as made by Rob Bromley - Bob has been selling these since the 80's when I first bought a bunch of them - every variation in the video was and still is available - front changes, back changes, front and back changes, card to credit card and vice versa. The mechanism is the same. Really guys, certainly in the UK this is a really, really well known card change effect.

I have no reason to believe that it isn't simply a reinvention, great minds and all that (I love Nicholas' work) - but c'mon - I think Ellusionist needs to talk to Bob and Rob about this.

The 'inventors' of this effect are also both from the UK. Funny that.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Unless I'm mistaken, Nicholas Lawrence is from the USA (his dialect sounds it, anyway Smile ).
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Paul Hughes
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of Paul Hughes
I guess my point is, no matter where anyone lives (magic is international after all), even with the best intentions its easy to re-invent the wheel and even with the best will in the world someone's research doesn't always pin point the original creators, but, as it has now been pointed out that this effect is at least 40 years old and Bob and Rob have been selling it from at least the 80's - its probably best for Ellusionist to reach out and do the right thing.

Don't you think?
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1371 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Tried to toss chroma up to facilitate the change.

It didn't worked. The card fluttered around like a butterfly with a broken wing.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Well, then... "Butterfly Card"!
AriTheMan
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
68 Posts

Profile of AriTheMan
Hey, guys. I just wanted to give a totally honest review for CHROMA by Lloyd Barnes and Nicholas Lawrence. I was very excited when I first saw the trailer because I love all of Nick and Lloyd's work and I knew that anything they worked on together would be great. So, when I purchased it and watched the whole download I was not disappointed at all as many other people have been saying. There are two different versions of the gimmick (Lloyd's and Nick's) and I have to say that for me personally, Nick's is more practical for real life. Both gimmicks are medium difficulty to make for a beginner "gimmick-maker" and a piece of cake for anybody who has made similar cards gimmicks. Some of the supplies come in the mail but if you want to make other gimmicks you have to have your own very simplistic supplies. (Let's clear something up -- the ad copy can be misunderstood. It says no flaps and that is true if you are talking about the regular Mark Mason Blink card with a f**d and e*****c. But, there is a different type of flap type thing which is what Nick and Lloyd have created.) I have been practicing this for a few days and have gotten it down pretty good (performance link with a little touch I added - http://youtu.be/nijkDU0cjI4 ) but not perfect yet. Overall, this is worth the $14.99 + shipping and I would reccomend this to anybody who wants something to build, practice and then perform something very visual. Thanks for creating this Nick and Lloyd!

- Ari
Infographicmagicreviews
View Profile
New user
Nelson
88 Posts

Profile of Infographicmagicreviews
Here's a honest review. I found it to be a 100% rip off of an item I already own after my purchase. It's bad taste to rip off customers like that. If they work with the real creator and mention anything in the ad I wouldn't have spent the money on something I already own. This is ridiculous and unethical in my book. This is Bob Swadling's color changing card. I am surprised no one really call them out?!
NicholasLawrenceMagic
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of NicholasLawrenceMagic
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, Infographicmagicreviews wrote:
Here's a honest review. I found it to be a 100% rip off of an item I already own after my purchase. It's bad taste to rip off customers like that. If they work with the real creator and mention anything in the ad I wouldn't have spent the money on something I already own. This is ridiculous and unethical in my book. This is Bob Swadling's color changing card. I am surprised no one really call them out?!

Feel better?
Elliot Nicklas
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Elliot Nicklas
What's your problem Infographic? Nicholas is the most creative guy of our time. He can take any old trick that no one knows about and turn it into gold. The trick looks so much better in his hand. Bob Swadling should feel honored and happy about it!!
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, AriTheMan wrote:
Thanks for creating this Nick and Lloyd!

- Ari

Ari see the other post where people have pointed out that it is an effect by Bob Swadling

Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, Infographicmagicreviews wrote:

They have been called out for it in this thread a few times.

Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, Elliot Nicklas wrote:
What's your problem Infographic? Nicholas is the most creative guy of our time. He can take any old trick that no one knows about and turn it into gold. The trick looks so much better in his hand. Bob Swadling should feel honored and happy about it!!

WE knew about it and many of us had it. No Bob should now feel honored by it. Also Bob's is still being sold.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, Elliot Nicklas wrote:

Elliot, Nicholas Lawrence is an excellent creator, but he has a way to go before his achievements can be fairly compared to Bob Swadling. Bob has been at the top - creating and performing - for many, many years. Nicholas may indeed achieve that, or even greater (I know of no one who doubts his potential), but only time and output will earn him that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chroma by Nicholas Lawrence & Lloyd Barnes (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL