The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Andre Kole's "Atomic Stack Pile" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
Here's a picture of the "copper" cups.

Click here to view attached image.
Tom Tourville
"Magic is all based on guile, and the more experience you have with being sneaky, the more sneaky you can be"
- Teller
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
Here's another set that I painted silver.

Tom Tourville
"Magic is all based on guile, and the more experience you have with being sneaky, the more sneaky you can be"
- Teller
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
Here's the original cups that I painted white.

Tom Tourville
- Teller
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Tour!

those look fantastic! especially the copper colored pails!! Thanks for sharing those images as well as the detail about the cups being cardboard in the original.

Do you perform the effect often? How does it play for you?
visit me @ JNealShow.com
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
No, I haven't performed it in a long time (probably 50 years). Part of the reason is because I didn't have a suitable glass until recently.
Tom Tourville
- Teller
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
Last month at the IBM convention I was able to show my Helicopter Cups to Andre and Tim Kole.

Tom Tourville
- Teller
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
I have always liked the Helicopter Cups since they were advertised in the Genii magazine many years ago. Is a demo available? Thanks, Bob
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
Here's a copy of the ad from the Linking Ring Magazine, July, 1955.

Tom Tourville
- Teller
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thanks for sharing those last couple of images! just great!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
Here's a better picture of the Linking Ring ad (July 1955). This was the first ad for the Helicopter Cups. The last ad was August, 1956.

Tom Tourville
- Teller
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
Another thing that I showed Andre and Tim (and also Jeff McBride) was my idea for a gimmicked cup. Using this cup would allow both cups to be shown inside and out at the same time. The cups in the picture are metal cups that I purchased a few years ago at Hobby Lobby. They came with the red/blue paint job. (gimmicked cup is on the right).

I also need to make a new (gimmicked) tray to allow me to actually perform the trick using these cups. That's my next project.

Tom Tourville
- Teller
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
Another picture showing the insides of both cups.

Tom Tourville
- Teller
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Very clever and everything really looks great! You are a true craftsman!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
I recall visiing the Phoenix Burt Easley magic shop in the early 70s. They said the Helicopter Cups & Atomic Stack Pile were no longer available. I later was able to purchse the Atomic Stack Pile from Bill Adams. However, I never could find a Helicopter Cups. They must have been made in a very small number. Seems like some builder should consider building their version. Bob
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
I'm sure the Helicopter Cups are quite rare because I've never seen any advertised for sale on Ebay or any of the collector websites. I brought mine to the convention in Phoenix hoping to find out how many were sold, but unfortunately neither Andre or Tim had the answer. The set that I bought from Mazda Magic arrived at the store in pieces (probably broken during shipping). Mazda's owner, Col. Russell Shaw, rebuilt the trick completely before I bought it. This included re-soldering the brass legs to the top of the stand and repainting the tray. He was an expert craftsmen. and I'm sure it took many coats of lacquer to produce the smooth yellow top on the tray.

So... I'm guessing that most of the Cups that were sold didn't survive. Of course the Kole family still has the rights to the trick, and they could start building them again if they wanted to. I think any other builder would want to get their permission first.
Tom Tourville
- Teller
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
Tourmagic, you mentioned buying from Mazda Magic. I was wondering if that was the same as Mazda Magic in Oak Park Illinois? I grew up in the Berwyn & Cicero suburbs close to Oak Park. I now live in Napervill Illinos. I agree any builder should always ask for permission from the original builders of an effect. Bob
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
Yes Bob, That's the same Mazda Magic in Oak Park, IL. I lived in Park Ridge, and I was a member of the Mazda Junior club 1954-58 and the senior club 1958-1963.
I was mentored by members of the Mazda Mystic Ring seniors -Jay Marshall, John Morrissy, Gene Thomas, Norm Osborn and others.
(I moved to California in 1963).
Tom Tourville
- Teller
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
Tourmagic, I was never a member of Mazda, but did visit their shop quite a bit. My next door neighbor was older than me and he was involved with Mazda. His name was Joe vyleta. I am now 75. Take it easy, Bob
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Wow, the Atomic Stack Pile brings back so many memories. Yes, this was such a beautifully constructed piece that was so much fun to demo. So odd yet so elegant in its own way. Thanks for reminding me of it!
Ray Pierce
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Interesting thread!

A beautiful mini version of the Atomic Stockpile effect is available from Magic Wagon... http://magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=191
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Andre Kole's "Atomic Stack Pile" (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL