The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Impromptu mentalism (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I use a little Mentalism in all of my magic shows.
And it works well.Its all how you plan your show.
One effect needs to fluidly progress into another effect.
Todd
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Tequila Hustle is a no-brainer really.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
All depends in your own style. We can recommend several places to learn material that you can do impromptu, but the real question is not "How?" rather "Why?"

I just recently release a new re-edition of my impromptu (or as I call it "Anywhere" material) called "Anywhere Mentalism. In there you can find propless mindreading, prediction techniques and other approaches for performing whenever you use borrowed unprepared items.

There is a missconception about "Impromptu" that says: "I don't need to prepare anything in advance". In my opinion this is highly misleading for your own development. You need personal preparation always. There is no such thing as "self-working". You need to learn your script, you need to practice and rehearse your effects, you need to know what you are communicating and be coherent with your premise as performer.

The objects/props that you use maybe are unprepared, non-gimmicked, etc, but you need to be prepared always, and that means hard work towards proper excellence as performer.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
n361128
View Profile
New user
Lytham
85 Posts

Profile of n361128
Throw a little magic and sleight of hand into a mentalism show - for me this really adds something
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Here we go...
Elwood
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Elwood
Dunninger, Annemann, Fogel and Canasta. Four words that explain fully why Magic and Mentalism don't mix.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2016, bevbevvybev wrote:
Tequila Hustle is a no-brainer really.

Does that mean you don't need a brain to do it?
n361128
View Profile
New user
Lytham
85 Posts

Profile of n361128
Richard Osterlinds penguin 2 video has some fantastic impromptu mentalism - one of the best dvds I have - and some great drumming too
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
Magic and mentalism can indeed be mixed. It depends on your (coherent) story - what do you want your audience to believe you are doing. I am primarily a mentalist, but I use magic all the time, and I don't feel the least bit guilty for it. In my case, my back story is about not only the mind, but also on surprising physical things that most people don't know about or can't control without secret knowledge.

The only difference between magic and mentalism is how you characterize the effects. For example, impossible location - to a magician something magically disappeared from here to there. To a mentalist, the exact technical trick can be used to produce a prediction that was there all day. Something disappearing from one box and appearing in another? Why can't that be hypnosis, and the spectator has been hypnotized to not see the change happen right in front of them? (Derren Brown uses this blurring of genres amazingly).

Is what Steve Brundage does with Cube 3 magic, or is it a superhuman skill? There is so much magic out there that is easily reinterpreted as mentalism and vice versa. The religious rivalry between both camps bores me to death, and I usually avoid any amount of discussion with people who can't imagine the connections. Useless and uninteresting as they can be when they feel only their way is right...

It is way too pretentious to believe that the two have no overlap potential. These are the same people who think spectators will automatically suspect a fancy deck as being gaffed and that's why you must only ever use the same deck that the magician telling you this uses. These people can stay in the 1800's if they wish, but it isn't for me.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2016, Elwood wrote:
Dunninger, Annemann, Fogel and Canasta. Four words that explain fully why Magic and Mentalism don't mix.

Are you being sarcastic? Can't tell tone on the internet...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
I would say Equivoque, but since you are a magician I'll go with Magician's Choice Smile

Master this technique and you'll have a powerful tool, anytime and anywhere.
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
264 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Yes, Equivogue is a good choice for impromptu also. and we call it magician's choice also. LOL.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Impromptu mentalism (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL