The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » WHY Would You Post Your FULL Show On YouTube? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
There is a video of a version of my entire show available on YouTube, but it's marked private. I have it up there in case a potential booker wants to see the entire thing before finalizing a contract. Some folks want to make sure that the show is suitable for the event. Otherwise, I only post clips of routines that are no longer performed in the show but give the viewer an idea of what they might expect to see in the current show.

I can understand that, Philemon. I think MindPro might balk at the idea that a potential client wants to see your full show, but I think it probably happens. I would personally turn down such a request. Unless the video is really well done and heavily edited, I can't see how it could reflect well on us. The little hiccups and awkward moments that can go by fairly quickly in live performance seem to pop out like a sore thumb on video.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, Robb wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, Sensio wrote:
What about Derren's theatre shows?
All of them are on YouTube (although somewhat trimmed at places)...

I figured somebody would point that out... And while it's true, I really don't think it's a case of apples to apples. I can't say for sure, but while Derren has many effects that are considered "classics", his scripting and presentations are very original. In fact, in the specific video I'm refrring to the performer quite clearly steals several bits from Derren's shows. And those shows were recorded with the intention of broadcast and the production value FAR exceeds the homemade feel of videos I'm referring to.

I too was waiting for this to be brought up as well. Derren and his shows are created and produced for public release release. To me this is different than what we're talking about here. I would've thought that would be obvious, but again, some seem to always twist Derren to relate or be the counter example to any context mentioned here.

I also agree with the use of youtube as Philemon mentioned for use as a private business promotional tool, but not being public. To me this is the best use of youtube as it pertains to our business. But again, this is different from what Robb was actually posting about. He was talking about posting an entire show (poor, homemade production value) for all to see.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:

I can understand that, Philemon. I think MindPro might balk at the idea that a potential client wants to see your full show, but I think it probably happens.

It happens regularly, all the time. Many agents and agencies (including my own) would never even consider representing an artist or act without first seeing their entire show. We'll accept a demo first, and if interested expect the full, unedited version as the next step.

And based on the full shows you see on youtube, you can see why. Anyone in today's world can make a short video look great and entertaining. But a full-length, unedited show often tells the true, entire story and is the true representation of that performers and their show.

But again, not on youtube for all to see.
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:

I can understand that, Philemon. I think MindPro might balk at the idea that a potential client wants to see your full show, but I think it probably happens.

It happens regularly, all the time. Many agents and agencies (including my own) would never even consider representing an artist or act without first seeing their entire show. We'll accept a demo first, and if interested expect the full, unedited version as the next step.

And based on the full shows you see on youtube, you can see why. Anyone in today's world can make a short video look great and entertaining. But a full-length, unedited show often tells the true, entire story and is the true representation of that performers and their show.

But again, not on youtube for all to see.

Ok, I stand corrected! I don't get how you booker dudes think yet. ;-)
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
LOl. Most don't. They think they know but rarely have a clue.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Trust me, it is a lesson learned the hard way that nearly cost me near half a million dollars. I received a demo form a well-known comedian. I liked it. I was in New York and saw the comedian on David Letterman's Show. He did a killer spot on the show, (went on to great fame and success) had a great segment with Dave at the desk, Dave liked him, he went over well with the audience, so I booked him for one of my large corporate clients at their annual worldwide event in Las Vegas. He bombed terribly! I lost the client on the spot after maybe 15 years of providing stellar acts and very successful shows all over the world for them. It was over. His show was nothing at all like his demo or the 6 minute set on Letterman.

It took me nearly five years to slowly (but aggressively) get the client back. Had I seen his full-length show, this would have never happened. At the time the comic, even after explaining it all to him, had no idea why they didn't like him and he didn't go over. Lessons (many) learned!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I can understand an agency or event booker wanting to see a full show. Before I give my recommendation for a performer I will generally want to be pretty familiar with the show. And I'm not even getting paid to recommend that show in those cases.

Just having the idea roll around in my head I did think of a couple things. First, I am wondering if folks like Derren Brown having their stage shows recorded for TV/DVD release has impacted this concept. Perhaps the people who are posting their shows are hoping for some kind of passive revenue? Of course, I would think one would want a polished and professional video for this, and unique routines, but that's me.

Second, I do agree that posting a full show with poor video quality is a bad play - but I also understand the value of having some snippets of your show available publicly. It lets people 'meet you' before they see your show, which gives you a certain degree of unconscious prestige in their mind, and also lets them know what they are getting if they are thinking of hiring you.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » WHY Would You Post Your FULL Show On YouTube? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL