The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Elvis & Nixon (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, Tom Cutts wrote:
Stone, would you care to share your top 3 changes which Elvis brought?

No. Why bother?

If I were to say that a hurricane caused damaged, some smarty-pants would point out that something caused the hurricane, and thus was the real source of the damage. And that smarty-pants would be right, too! So there isn't much of a point in describing hurricanes.

So why compare hurricanes?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Because he's trying to understand this hurricane and he's looking for guidance from others, I think. But to actually understand this hurricane all you gotta do is let him in

My apologies if I've stepped on your toes, Jeff: this response is not intended to preclude your own. It's simply my interpretation from my viewpoint.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Laurie,

Nowhere did I say that is my definition of charm. I merely provided examples, socially accepted norms, of things referred to as charm.

Everyone's personal idea of charm is skewed; it's their personal preference. But we can discuss social commonalities and ways in which society tries to quantify charm(s) without injecting our personal bias. Yes, spirit is yet another element of charm. It is also jeapordized by changes in societal views. What was spirit in the 20's and 30's may not not be considered spirit in 2016.

This why when trying to engage in the act of comparison, one must view each example in its time period and context.

Nowhere did I say "charm = looks and then say Frank Sinatra". No one is making excuses for Frank. Whe are you getting this stuff?

Sinatra was one of a kind. There will never be another like him. Elvis was one of a kind. There will never be another like him. That Is based as much on the time in which they rose to fame as it is on who they were.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
From you, Tom:

Quote:
I disagree. It was very much a similar degree. The difference is that Frank lived to a ripe old age, became an old man, surrendered the image of superstar playboy. Elvis (and others) died and so did not have to relinquish his charms to the ravages of time.

Quote:
Bah to you Laurie. Smile

Charms are absolutely at peril in the hands of Father Time.

Charming good looks... they fade with time.

Charming demeanor... well what is charming on a 40 year old could very easily be creepy on a 70 year old. Not to mention what was charming in the 70's has become offensive in the 2010s. So yeah, charm relinquishes to those who don't change with the times.

You miss my meaning when I say spirit lives, I think. The difference is Elvis was Elvis and Frank was Frank. Elvis asked for love and that's what he's got, to this day. Time can't ravage his spirit.

Does that help at all, Jeff? It's simple, I think, but a lot of people resist talking about love. Imagine a man needing that and openly admitting it. Fear of that is the reason some seem to need to knock him, I think. Contempt for vulnerability, humility, honesty. But what really bugs them I think, is he had the guts to put himself out there so publicly, getting hurt didn't stop him.

& that turns the mirror on the rest of us.

That's how I see it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Elvis & Nixon (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL