The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Beginner magic in the bizarre world (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Building off another topic just recently posted, I wonder about the use of some of the most beginner and basic effects, one can think of, put to use in a bizarre way. The recent topic talked about using the Buddha paper fold in a bizarre magic effect and how just effective it was with the audience. I have thought about trying out the paddle move on some old aged rectangular pieces of wood and having some message or spooky number appear but have never attempted thinking maybe it’s just too simple.

Has anyone seen other beginner magic in the bizarre and is the audience more likely to “figure out” the effect or might be more dismissive of it?
Is the paddle move “easily” seen through? And therefore not magic?

Can JUST a story carry these beginner tricks into greatness?

What about Crazy man’s handcuffs?

If we as magicians are looking for the next GREAT effect are we maybe just ignoring some really good magic packed away in the closet.

How bizarre can you can get with that old dusty thumb tip……(have fun with this one)
piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
I do think story can carry beginner tricks into greatness, with the help of an engaging performer telling the story. When I am telling my story and fully believing in it, everything will come naturally. When the story telling is so good, it enhanced the magic the audience experienced. Many a times, they won't even bother trying to figure out how you did it.

I'm just throwing ideas here. Well, you can tell a story of a piece of wood that has a spirit in it. One side of the wood has something engraved on it, the other is empty. You showed both sides (paddle move but try not to be to flashy about it) of the wood empty, and then asked your spectator to hold on to it with the fist close. Asked her to try to connect with the spirit. Think about positive things. Throw in suggestions like she may feel hot, cold, etc. and see whether she felt anything. Get her to describe. Once done, asked her to open her hand again. Appear disappointed that nothing has happened. Explain that sometimes, the spirit doesn't want to connect. At this moment, she may turn the wood over, and realised something is engraved on it. Tada! The magic is done. You can act surprise, and congratulate her, telling how special it is because this has never happen before.

If you make a bunch of these, you can even give out as souvenirs.

Most of the bizarre magic effect by the creators here used very "simple" magic.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I am in complete agreement. having used beginner magic trucjs in many of my stories. including paddle mives and buddha papers/ A message scratched on to a piece of wood found in an old well containing a body was one of mt strongest.
paddle moves enployed with ith a knife gave visual impact to a Ripper story. Yahe simplicity of these beginner effects are a part of their strength.

Kotah
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

I actually have a story for it, so thanks; and yes I am also aware many bizzarist often use simple methods. I guess when I think back to the paddle move it just seems so very transparent but so does a lot of other magic.
BUT a "tradtional" paddle trick would consist of that one with the colored stones... or a picture of a rabbit, and that whole line of presentation just screams trickery or gimmick.... and would lend the spectator to be a quick judge on figuring out the method.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Pentalogy.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
The paddle move is simple, but requires skill, acting and motivation to make it deceptive.

Many working magicians use it in corporate and walk-around. Watch someone skillful with the Color changing knives, wow. Interesting topic, I'm going to dust off some old paddle ideas from my notebook. Thanks!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
We have whole e-Books on taking the simple into the bizarre. Paddle - "Magic Rune Sticks" from The Wizards' Journal #9. ANOTHER Paddle - "Dracula's Coffin" by Chris Dunn from The Wizards' Journal # 19. Buddha Papers - "Your Papers, Please!" from the Crafty Shoppe of Little Horrors. Ball and Vase - "Dragon's Egg Over Easy" from the Crafty Shoppe of Little Horrors. Imp Bottle - "Bottle of the Djinn" from the Crafty Shoppe of Little Horrors. Voodoo Doll - "Voodoo Hoodoo" from The Wizards' Journal #12. Magic Slates - "Spirit e-Mail" from The Wizards' Journal #2. Bizarre Card Packet Tricks - "Monster Monte" and "Mummy Mischief" by Magicbob from the Wizards' Journal #14. Glorpy - "Hank the Ghost Hank" from The Wizards'Journal #16. Stuff from the Party Store- "Halloween Special" The Wizards Journal #24. Die Penetration - "Curse of the Vampire" from The Wizards' Journal #31. Probably more that I've forgotten. Stop by The Magic Nook and look around.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Yes I think I will working on this effect using a "paddle".

Astor, good point also that there is some finesse and skill in that paddle move to make it more natural, also not being over-repetative in the "move".

Thinking about the haunted key, years ago I would use it like just any other 'trick' and I really did not start getting strong reactions until I wrapped it in a story, expressing the idea more that a key unlocks that which is hidden, valued treasures and secrets; and yes truly those things do draw the audience in more.

In fact that statement is true for all the magic I have ever done. Is that now I get a lot stronger reactions telling the story surrounding the magick.

So is there anything just too simple, maybe that is more the question.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Just about anything can be made magickal... Especially, if the backstory is believable, the presentation sincere (well researched and presented), and it is presented as a shared experience, opposed to an egotistical "challenge".

"THE KING IN GREEN" by Chris Gould and Paul Kostrach is a perfect example of this... A basic effect becomes real magick, brilliantly done (although I am extremely biased)! Check it out here:

http://www.alchemymoon.com/page105.html

I have a routine for Crazy Man’s Handcuffs called "ETA KIMPUNGULU" in a forthcoming book...

It revolves around eta (natural rubber from the Kongo). Revolutionary, vengeful warrior spirits were cast by a powerful Kikongo Nganga into a vast number of the nations eta trees, which were in turn exploited and exported en masse around Europe (and the world) by the harsh Belgian colonizers. The eta was used throughout Europe by the transportation and military industries to make rubber hoses, gaskets, masks, engine belts and...rubber bands!

The warrior spirit-inhabited rubber still has some rather peculiar properties about it (albeit its magick has since weakened over the decades, hence the simple demonstration with the rubber bands). The rubber from the spirit possessed eta trees have reportedly been responsible for thousands upon thousands of automobile and airplane crashes throughout Europe during the height of Afrikan colonization, due to the rubber components breaking, snapping, melting and dissolving, while strangely still maintaining its flexible and elastic quality. The demonstration with rubber bands made from Kongolese eta, showcases the little known fact that traditional magick was used in part by Afrikans to gain independence, using a magickal form of resistance as a direct weapon against brutal oppression and colonization.

Now, you put some stained and minimally distressed rubber bands into an indigenous hand-carved box, and you got yourself a mighty power-full experience in your hands (literally). I have a very unique shocking climax to the routine, yet that is reserved for the forthcoming book. Smile

Keep creating, keep it simple, teach it real!

From under the shade tree,
~ Nyama ~
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2016, Nyama Possessor wrote:

I have a routine for Crazy Man’s Handcuffs called "ETA KIMPUNGULU" in a forthcoming book...

That is a very clever presentation!

Off to ponder my own effects a bit...
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Thank you Brother Rook. I appreciate the kind words... Smile

One of many personal routines based on simple and "standard" effects.

Throughout this next year, I'll be releasing for the fist time, a plethora of tightly-kept and sacred underground effects and ideas, which I've developed over the last 19 years. Stay tuned!

The best magick in my opinion is both meaningful and empowering.

May those who seek, find.
May those who find, be transformed.
May those transformed, enlighten others.
Each one, teach one, to reach one.

~ Nyama ~

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

"ETA KIMPUNGULU"
WOW ,,,, what a great direction to take this effect.
I was actually just brainstorming possible ideas for this effect and was very tunnel visioned on themes of imprisonment or mental barriers.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
The classic method for bending a coin using apparent psychic powers can be used in such a way that a coin absorbs all negativity from the participant and becomes oxidate and rusty. That effect with a powerful story can create great impact.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Friend, much appreciation for your kind words.

Imprisonment and mental barriers is a great theme/metaphor... I can here Bob playing in the background, "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, None but ourselves can free our minds." Smile

~ Nyama ~

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Beginner magic in the bizarre world (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL