The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ASYMPTOTES. New book coming soon from Ben Blau (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
Ok thanks Ben, I have just read your routine in John Careys Minimalistica, and love it, if your new book is anything like this, this book will be fab!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Thanks very much!

Yes, there is a lot of really sneaky stuff in this book. Mostly based on layered subtlety, and reliable, solid methods. Most of the material could be classified as "semi-automatic", and none of it relies on gimmicks. Sleight of hand is kept to an absolute minimum (most of the routines don't require any at all), but any of the sleights that ARE used are well within the reach of a novice or intermediate practitioner with cards.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
Will polygraph and hotoac be in the new book?
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Polygraph and Hotoac are not in Ben's new book but were video projects only at this time! The material that is in the book is all new and hasn't been out on the market in any other format.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
Ok thanks, still would be nice to get a feel for some of the effects in the book, maybe a list could be shown also? Is ur version of out of this world in the book?
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
His out of this world is in the book! And it's really wonderful. I've watched many of these routines come together over the years Ben and I have known each other. Ben's approach to Out of This World (A Pale Blue) is different, fooling, and direct.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
Ok great, any other routines you can divulge on here?
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
There are 18 routines taught, plus a "utilities" section. Was there something in particular that you're looking for? I could type the table of contents here, but you'd only see the titles and page numbers for them.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
Well Ben I am not familiar with your work, it would be nice to see maybe a demo of a couple of the effects in the book or at least a description of some of the effects, that was all
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
Don't worry if not, I have ordered your book anyway, I just wanted to whet my appetite
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Daren,

A couple of years ago, I released a video project ("The Ben Blau Project") that was very well-received. Two of the routines from that project are available for viewing on YouTube. If you watch those, you'll get a feel for my performance style.

1. HOTOAC

http://youtu.be/6Q7xUyy1HD0

2. Polygraph

http://youtu.be/0KhGYsG_u5Y

Neither of these routines are in the new book, but they should give you a feel for the way I approach card mentalism.

On the first page of this thread, I did post a link to a simulated performance of one of the routines that IS in the book.

Hope that helps!

-Ben
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I wanted to share the brilliant dust jacket artwork for ASYMPTOTES, done by the amazing Martin Korstanje.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9t_i1......1UXRPUHc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9t_i1......GM053TXc
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2205 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

I will be reviewing this book for those that are on the fence about purchasing, or simply want more information.

Since it is a big book, I will be reviewing it in parts.

I hope you enjoy my review, and hopefully it will make you decide whether or not you want to purchase this book.

Stay tuned......

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2016, Daren wrote:

I too would love to know a couple of the specific effects or plots contained in the book, as well as a table of contents. I love your work, Ben, but just want to make sure that the book consists of a variety of plots and not just 18 different impossible card locations. Smile

Will be preordering soon- thanks!
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Where can it be ordered ? Thx
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2069 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi brehaut,

You can pre-order Asymptotes from Penguin: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S20861 or from Murphy's https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=57324

Regards, Steve
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2016, Your Thinking Cap wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2016, Daren wrote:

I too would love to know a couple of the specific effects or plots contained in the book, as well as a table of contents. I love your work, Ben, but just want to make sure that the book consists of a variety of plots and not just 18 different impossible card locations. Smile

Will be preordering soon- thanks!

The book spans a wide variety of effects and plots, including thought-of card divinations, impossible coincidences, ACAAN and TOCATON effects, a multi-phase ESP card routine, an OOTW, a multi-phase 10 Card Poker Deal, pseudo lie detection routines, and a lot more. It's not just card location effects. There is also a Utilities section, which supplements the effects.

I hope that helps.

-Ben
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2205 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,
s
Alex here.

So my review will be split into multiple parts, since its a big book, and I will try my best to answer any questions within my review as far as the type of effects as we go along.

I first heard of Ben, when he released his HOTOAC and Polygraph, and Patrick was generous enough to send me a review copy of that when it was released.

If you purchased that download, then you know the level of detail that Ben puts into all his effects, and the thinking behind each move, and subtlety.
If you did not purchase that download, and you are barely going to become introduced to Ben´s work, then you chose wisely, and you will learn a lot.

Whether you are a beginner, amateur, or seasoned pro, there is something in this book for everyone that I am 100% sure you will enjoy and perform.
As Ben said above, the book has 18 routines ranging from coincidences, ACAAN, OOTW, ESP, impossible location, and even a business card effect using your business cards.

The book is 356 pages, and not only do you get the 18 effects, but you also get a section on moves, called the Utilities section, which I will go over once I get there within my review in the next couple of days, since this will be the first review of many, until I complete the book.

The book starts out with an Introduction by Patrick Redford and how he and Ben met and became friends, and how he admires the level of thinking that is involved in Ben´s work.

Next, you have the Foreword by Max Maven, and how investing in this book is a smart choice, and how Ben´s magic is portrayed.

Next, we learn what the definition of an ASYMPTOTE is.

Which brings us to the pre-effect, well it is not an effect per se, but rather an interesting mathematical principle, that you can learn, and practice on yourself.

This is really clever, and something that the next routines utilizes in the guise of doing something else.

The principle is called BOOLEAN LOGIC, and is tied to being able to determine whether someone is lying or telling the truth.

The next effect uses BOOLEAN LOGIC very cleverly hidden, and disguised.

CRIMSON CLUPEIDAE

Effect: A spectators thought of card is discerned, by being able to determine whether the spectator lied or told the truth.

Thoughts: This is a very clever first effect to start out the book with. It reminds me somewhat in a way of the which hand effect with a coin but with cards, not exactly the same structure, but something presentationally similar, and something in which you will know whether the person lied or told the truth regarding a thought of card. No forces involved.
There is something else involved but it is very cleverly hidden, and something that most of you will say, Why didn't I think of that.
This routine is very well scripted, and all actions are justified. At the end of the routine, the spectator only answers in his or her mind, and yet you know if they are lying or telling the truth, and you discern their card.
If you are a fan of clever methods, and the which hand plot involving liar/truthteller divinations, then this effect is for you, and you will perform this.

The next effect is called SORT OF THE TRUTH, and it is one of my favorites.

It is an impossible location effect, but with clever hidden mathematical properties. Do not worry, you will not have to memorize anything, or do any math yourself.

Effect: A spectator thinks of any card, then locates it in the deck..........lots more cards are taken out at random by the spectator, and all cards are mixed haphazardly, several times, and believe it or not, you will be able to locate the thought of card with ease.

I already performed this for my wife last night, and the reaction I obtained from her was mere silence, she had no clue how I knew the card, even though the cards had been mixed many times but yet I was able to name her thought of card without ever taking the card out. In addition to this, if you wanted, and this is an idea that I developed, you could locate the card, but I think it defeats the purpose, but for those that want to name the card, then go about and locate it, you can very well do so.

This effect´s method is really well hidden, and not even magicians will have a clue, because there is a lot going on, that even if someone were to know what you were about to do, the effect is layered in a way, that you throw everyone off track, and the method becomes undetectable.

I will also be performing this on Wednesday for a few of my magic buddies during our meetup.

Well, I guess for now that is my first review for the first 2 effects of the book.

The first 2 effects of the book are killer, and Ben sure does know how to layer very deceptively.

I received a review copy of this book, but I believe with the amount of information, clever ideas, principles, moves, you will learn, the $80 price tag is more than justified.

Heck, I will be adding the first 2 effects into my repertoire.

More later.........

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I'd like to point out that in "Sort Of The Truth", I don't locate their card. I simply name it.

Locating it among the messy pile at the end is a choice you could just as easily make, but I prefer to just name the card they were thinking of all along.

Just a point of clarification. Thanks, Alex, for your throughtful review this far. I know it's a lot to get through!

-Ben
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2205 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Thanks Ben, yes that is correct, the card is named, not located, but if one wanted could go the extra mile to locate it, as well, just an idea.

Continuing on with the review, the 3rd effect is

POCKET SQUARE

This is an impromptu mind-buster.

Effect: The spectator thinks of a number, and you create an instant magic square on your business card.

So this is the first effect that doesn't have cards, but all you need are your business cards.

If you are a fan of magic squares, this little impromptu miracle will have you performing it everywhere now, not just on the big stage.

Plus, the spectator gets to keep your business card, with the magic square solved, using his thought of number.

Great little effect that you can always have on you, and next time someone says, show me something, you can do this.

NOTE: You must already know how to do a magic square. There is one example solved magic square given inside the book, but you must already have the knowledge to solve one.

I have never really done a magic square, and though I appreciate them, I will probably learn how to do a basic one, and try this out in the near future sometime. I guess the fact is that they never really appealed to me as a mentalist, but I can understand how performing this using your business cards on the fly, and handing out your card can be different.

Then there is a technique that you will learn.

The technique you will learn is called

The CABOLO MANEUVER

Allows you to secretly hold back one or more playing cards in the action of doing something else.
Facilitates secret loads, steals, switches, and more.

This maneuver is great, and is used in the book elsewhere on another routine.

Good to know how to do this, and it will get your head spinning with other ideas that you may be able to use this with.

The next effect is called

CREEPFEST

Effect: An ordinary deck of playing cards is examined and then thoroughly
shuffled by the Participants. Both the Performer and one of the
Participants each merely think of a playing card. Each of them removes their card from the pack and, without showing the cards to
anyone, places their card into their pockets.
The remaining cards are shuffled, and, with the Performer’s back
turned, the Participant begins to deal the cards, one at a time, face-up onto the table. The Participant calls aloud the names of the
cards as they are dealt, with one exception: Somewhere along the
way, at a random point, the Participant is to mis-call the name of
the card dealt. In its place he is to call the name of his thought-of
card instead. Showing no outward sign or hesitation that might be
a clue for the Performer, he is to then continue dealing through several more cards, and then stop the deal at a random point of his
own choosing.
Once the deal is finished, the Performer turns to face the
Participants. He concentrates, looking carefully into the
main Participant’s eyes, and finally announces the name of the
Participant’s thought-of card. The Participant removes the card
from his pocket, verifying the Performer’s success.
When asked by the Performer if the Participant recalls the actual
name of the card in the pack that the Participant mis-called, he
says that he does, and the Participant names that card aloud.
Looking bewildered, the Performer asks the Participant to remove
that card from the pack. The Participant looks through the deck,
but the card is not there. The Performer removes the card that he
had thought of and placed into his pocket at the beginning of the
experiment. Eerily, it is the mis-called card.

Thoughts: Wow, what a great routine with multiple things happening, and very cleverly layered as with most of the items from this book.
You will need to learn the above move, titled, THE CABOLO MANEUVER for this routine, as well as it uses 2 utilities that are useful in the execution of the effect.
Upon reading this, it reminded me a lot of Paul Cummins Tap a Lack, Paul Vigils Diplopia, but you don't need to clock a deck to make this work, this is much easier, and is different altogether. This is another favorite routine of mine, due to the fact that at the ends the mis-called card is produced from your pocket.
This is something I will be performing.

More later.......

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ASYMPTOTES. New book coming soon from Ben Blau (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL