The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Congressman Introduces Magic Resolution (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/magi......-n539191

Quote:
Rep. Pete Sessions is skeptical of global warming and says big government is a waste — but he believes in the power of magic.

The conservative Texas Republican introduced a House resolution this week that would officially recognize magic as a "rare and valuable art form and national treasure."

Dropping the names of magicians like Harry Houdini and David Copperfield and referencing writer Arthur C. Clarke and artist Leonardo da Vinci, Sessions' resolution declares that magic needs to be "preserved, understood, and promulgated."

And it ticks off several reasons why any opposition to "H. Res. 642" should be made to disappear.

"Whereas magic is an art form with the unique power and potential to impact the lives of all people; Whereas magic enables people to experience the impossible; Whereas magic is used to inspire and bring wonder and happiness to others; Whereas magic has had a significant impact on other art forms," the resolution states.

Sessions also mentions Eric Hogue, a former professional clown who is now mayor of Wylie, Texas, and "who learned the art of magic as a child, continues to use those skills to teach elementary school students about the different roles and responsibilities of local government."

One of the most conservative members of Congress, Sessions has tried before to get magic officially recognized as an art form, Politico reported.

But so far he's not been able to pull that legislative rabbit out of a hat.

Thoughts?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Thoughts? Wylie, Texas?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Except for a few rare instances magic is not an art form. The vast majority of performers are highly derivative copies of other copies of the original. Not art.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
NEA grants?

New patter for Sam the Bellhop?

Excuse for filibuster...six bill repeat?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I have one, two, three, four, five, six bills I am sponsoring for adoption this session.

One, two, three have been sent to committee. Now I have I have one, two, three, four, five, six bills I am sponsoring . . . .
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
I have one, two, three, four, five, six bills I am sponsoring for adoption this session.

One, two, three have been sent to committee. Now I have I have one, two, three, four, five, six bills I am sponsoring . . . .

LOL. Nailed the joke!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2878 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I thin some of our dear elected officials have too much time on their hands. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think it is an art form. And Copperfield is the best ... See his show. It's AMAZING!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
Pick a bill...any bill...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, Slim King wrote:
I think it is an art form. And Copperfield is the best ... See his show. It's AMAZING!!!!! Smile

Wow...I find myself agreeing with Slim on something. I concur magic is an art form. There are the Copperfields and the amateurs, just as there are the Picassos and the paint by number folks. Different levels of skill, but it's art.

Bummed to say I haven't seen Copperfield's show yet...
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I have seen Copperfield, I like him, I think he is great at what he does, but shows like his are not really my favorites.

On the other hand, I see artistic genius in Carl Ballantine, Mac King and Pop Haydn. I suspect I really like the character-driven shows, not the big box effects.

But, of course, there are many rooms in the house of magic . . . .
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2016, imgic wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, Slim King wrote:

Wow...I find myself agreeing with Slim on something. I magic is an art form. There are the Copperfields and the amateurs, just as there are the Picassos and the paint by number folks. Different levels of skill, but it's art.

Bummed to say I haven't seen Copperfield's show yet...

When you see Copperfield's show you will see a bit of Slim King artwork on your phone!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
Proof magic in an art form...Shin Lim...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAN-PwRfJcA
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
Ultimately, they want to be able to be considered for grants awarded to artists.

NEA grants it is
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle......ory.html
per the article linked
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
All art is lie. That means all lies are art. The card sharps that cheat, the conjurers that perform tricks and liars and thus artists. However their art cannot be appreciated as no lies are revealed in either case. That means both are activates are science. However the conjurer makes cosmic nonsensical assertions in dressing, which are not only lies but lies that are known to be lies and this aspect of it is art. When the conjurers goes on to prove, with his sensible magic experiment, that his cosmic nonsensical assertions are true, they are not only amazed but also amused and thus they know it is art and appreciate it. Speaking of cosmic forces a man has no soul; it is the soul that has man. That is to say it is soul which animates the man. As it is with man, so it is with the things we cause to pass mysteriously from place or condition to another with our comic nonsensical assertions.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
“Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion.”

-- Tennessee Williams's Tom Wingfield in The Glass Menagerie.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5888 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, TonyB2009 wrote:
Except for a few rare instances magic is not an art form. The vast majority of performers are highly derivative copies of other copies of the original. Not art.
Only if you look at it in the smaller picture.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3001 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, TonyB2009 wrote:

You're conflating "magic" as an abstract idea with the contributions of individual performers. That's like saying that painting is not an art form because there are a bunch of hacks out there, which there are. If there is anything in magic that you consider art, even if only 1% of the output, then magic is an art form.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
If the resolution really is magic, it should pass automatically and mysteriously.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3001 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Really, it's pretty cool that this Congressman has taken it upon himself to draw attention to magic as an art form. Leaving aside the fact that Congress is completely dysfunctional otherwise, it's gratifying to see that our leaders occasionally recognize the small contributions that make life much more than a dull struggle for survival.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Congressman Introduces Magic Resolution (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL