The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The cloud: pros or cons? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2878 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, I understand the cloud is supposed to be the latest and greatest, yadda yadda. However, since I'm still not convinced as to why I would want to store my files on someone else's server, especially if I have to pay a monthly charge for it, I was hoping to get some feedback.

To me, the primary cons are:

You need an internet connection to access your files. No connection, no access. But we all know that internet service never ever goes down, right?

You may have to pay a data charge to get to your files, on top of the monthly service charge.

In my own case, our WiFi doesn't work out in the garage, so I would need to get a range extender just to get to my own stuff in my own garage.

I'm sure I could store some stuff on my own computer anyway, but then you get into backing up and synchronizing.

Software backups and upgrades at the server level may result in no access to data for a while, like happens with upgrades here in the Café.

And, of course, the tin-hat reason: how do I know "someone" isn't going thru my files?

I'm not getting defensive here (even tho it may sound that way): I'm really just trying to understand a concept that, so far, doesn't make any sense to me.

Any thoughts?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Dropbox is free.

I like my ICloud on ITunes as it allows me access to my library anywhere I go.

As to the WiFi not reaching your garage, you may need a stronger wireless router. I spent a little more and was able to give my parents WiFi in all their rooms.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Personally speaking, I've been thinking about getting 2 SSD drives in an external case(to save on physical space and they are fast) in raid. Worse case, just a single SSD eh I is the size of a credit card and call it good. Also, thumb drives have some sizes me storage and are extremely small.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
Some graphic files are massive in the printing game and the cloud is used a lot now in that business according to my printer friends.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
And, of course, the tin-hat reason: how do I know "someone" isn't going thru my files?

In a world where when my friend Dani dies, emails fly around to other friends about him, and the next day I get an email from Amazon recommending Dani and the Haunted House, it's not just a tin-hat issue anymore. On the Internet, either you are buying product or you are the product being sold.

I try to avoid the cloud as much as possible, but it's not easy.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, George Ledo wrote:

Okay, I understand the cloud is supposed to be the latest and greatest, yadda yadda. However, since I'm still not convinced as to why I would want to store my files on someone else's server, especially if I have to pay a monthly charge for it, I was hoping to get some feedback.

To me, the primary cons are:

You need an internet connection to access your files. No connection, no access. But we all know that internet service never ever goes down, right?

You may have to pay a data charge to get to your files, on top of the monthly service charge.

I like Dropbox (and similar free services like Google Drive). As I said, they are free. I know that Dropbox stores local copies of files on the computer you are working on, so you can use the files even if your internet connection is out.

I do not use these services for all of my files, just the files I use / want to access on multiple computers / devices.

Otherwise, I generally do not use the 'cloud'.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
The only "Cloud" I use is the Kindle Cloud.
My massive Audio, Video and Photo files are much safer than hard copy. Over the years I have lost (or had stolen from me) Albums and CD's. Now All the files I purchase from Amazon are stored for FREE by Kindle.

The Cloud may not be perfect but what is perfect? I LOVE my Kindle.
I still have dozen's of Albums that I will never get rid of. I have hard copy of most of the books I purchased through Kindle. I enjoy both Worlds.
Smile Iven
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Yes, each type definitely has its use: digital cloud, digital local, physical.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The cloud: pros or cons? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL