The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Good first bizarre convention for newbie (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chiartguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of chiartguy
I've been active in my local magic community for a few years and am starting to get really excited about bizarre magick (primarily within the subjects of occult/seance/vintage horror). I'd like to attend a convention this year to see performances, meet experienced practitioners, and learn new skills -- face to face and in person.

It looks like there are several bizarre conventions in the US each year (Inner Circle of Bizarre Magick, East Coast Spirit Sessions, Odd Gathering, Magic & Meaning Conference, Pacific Northwest Gathering of Dark Magi, etc.). Which would you recommend as a good one for someone like myself? How do the different bizarre get-togethers compare with regard to their offerings, especially for newer practitioners?
fredr500
View Profile
Loyal user
Cary, NC
287 Posts

Profile of fredr500
Of those you listed ECSS is the only one I've attended but I highly recommend it. It's newbie friendly as well as great for experienced Bizarrists. Check the various ECSS threads to learn more.
--------------------------------
Check out Funeral Sampler and over 200 reviews http://rosemagic.com
Author of The Sweet Psychic, http://thesweetpsychic.com
ECSS I, II, III IV, and V alumnus
PEA Member, IBM and SAM Life Member
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
As newbie's to the Bizarre World we also recommend ECSS
We attended in January this year and were welcomed into the "FAMILY" as if we were long lost friends.
Everyone makes you feel welcome and is willing to share a wealth of knowledge.

Hope to meet you there.

kOnO & Carollynn
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
chiartguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of chiartguy
Sounds like ECSS is the way to go -- thanks for the recommendations.

Too bad I have to wait ten months until ECSS III. Looking forward to it, though!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
ECSS!!!!! All the way .. Make some friends ...drink some wine ..you'll be fine.... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
bud.scott
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of bud.scott
Dabbler in the Esoteric
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VIII
Order of the Hexidic
North West Gathering of the Dark Magi II,III,IV,V
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Are the dates for ECSS iii confirmed?
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
I do have a preference for the Northwest Gathering of Dark Magi, being a co-Founder and all. A lot of good things have been posted about the other groups, but the Gathering is different. Here is a link to our site.

http://petemcmillan.wix.com/the-gathering

Please call or write for more info if needed.

Pete
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
I'm set to attend the Odd Gathering this year on April 22-24 in Livermore,California with another underground legend in bizarre magic ChaCha Puddlewinks. It's also the only time in 2016 I will be in California. Then a couple of months later I will be doing a couple of talks and a workshop in Miami, Florida. Actually I am looking forward to the Odd Gathering as it will be one of a few few magic type conferences that I will ever attend. As I have not been to a magic conference in many years and I am not planning on going to too many more either as I usually have other events going on when these type of events are scheduled. -Bill Montana
bud.scott
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of bud.scott
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, Brynmore14 wrote:
Are the dates for ECSS iii confirmed?

Pretty sure the date is firm, the venue is up in the air from what I hear.
Dabbler in the Esoteric
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VIII
Order of the Hexidic
North West Gathering of the Dark Magi II,III,IV,V
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
517 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
All of the aforementioned cons would be excellent for you. If you want face-to-face, in person, non-nonsense, brass tacks con, our small PNW Gathering of Dark Magi might be for you. It is intimate for certain. We extended it one more day and have packed in plenty of topics, but with room for informal jamming too. This is it is in mid-May in Seattle this year. I see at least two other (than myself) people who posted above will be there. We will be missing Michael McDonald greatly, however, may his eternal journies be rewarding.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
ECSS3 we are looking to correct some of the minor issues with the location we had (one of which is new owners wanting to re negotiate) but the dates are there, it will still be in Myrtle Beach but may have a different address, stay tuned
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'd bet this coming ECSS is an ANIMAL!!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
I believe Max Maven is the GOH this year at Odd Gathering-
new-comers (as well as everyone else) are treated with a lot of respect there.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
I'm heading to the Odd Gathering with none other than Cha Cha Puddlewinks this year. It's going to be a real hoot.

Balaram you heading out this year to the Odd Gathering?
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Bill, up until 2 days ago, I would have had to say a sad "no". I haven't missed one yet...
however, I may be able to at least say hello at the Sat. night show, as missing the opportunity
to meet you and Cha Cha, "live" (as it were), would be unforgivable-
well, if the stars align...
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
The PNW Gathering of Dark Magi was terrific! I made new friends, learned a lot, and even had an odd encounter with a spirit bell that was nowhere to be found.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Good first bizarre convention for newbie (15 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL