The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Performance Right of Cut in 7 (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

willconjuror
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of willconjuror
Does anybody know who owns the performing right for the cylindrical version(the one performed by Hans Klok) of cut in 7th?
Is there anybody that owns the exclusive right to build it(can we construct it ourselves)?

Thanks
Will
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Perhaps you can tell us who you are and where you're living and why you're interested.
It's an illusion designed by Franz Harary and the fist one was build by David Mendoza.
It's a very difficult illusion to built and keep running. You have to know many ins and outs
to make it workable. It's typically NOT a diy one.
LanceRich
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of LanceRich
To my knowledge that particular version of the effect was with Franz's permission and created by Philippart. http://www.phillusions.com/index.html

I only know of it being performed by him and Hans Klok.
willconjuror
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of willconjuror
Thanks for the answers. Really appreciate it.

To John:
I live in Canada, I'm trying to add new materials into the Illusion show, and it would be great if I could perform this piece of Illusion.
With regards to the Illusion construction, I feel that I am confident enough to build a less-than-superb replica of the Illusion, and the reason for that is because it's cheaper also it would save a lot of shipping fees. Also, even if I run into problems, the process of fixing and re-adjusting is part of the learning experience, I don't mind fail a couple times before I make one that I'm happy with. That being said, I would not sell it to anyone for commercial purposes nor will I copy Hans Klok's original presentation. I just want to borrow the principles used for the props, so do you know if we are allowed to purchase just the performance right?

To LanceRich:
Ah, but I thought the slicer that Franz invented is the 9 cuts one?
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
The SLICER illusion create Franz Harary. First version build John Troxtel: http://www.johntroxtel.com/drafting.html This is part of history))) But now available many versions of this illusion, and few builders can make it. If interesting I can explain in details...
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Seven slices, nine slices, what's the difference (yes I know two).
This illusion is called the Slicer (if I remember well Harary called it: Jeannet)
The basic idea/concept/creation is by Franz Harary. As far as I know he did not sold the rights.
So Wilconjuror, if you want something with this effect, why would not you contact Franz Harary himself.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2016, willconjuror wrote:
Thanks for the answers. Really appreciate it.

To John:
I live in Canada, I'm trying to add new materials into the Illusion show, and it would be great if I could perform this piece of Illusion.
With regards to the Illusion construction, I feel that I am confident enough to build a less-than-superb replica of the Illusion, and the reason for that is because it's cheaper also it would save a lot of shipping fees. Also, even if I run into problems, the process of fixing and re-adjusting is part of the learning experience, I don't mind fail a couple times before I make one that I'm happy with. That being said, I would not sell it to anyone for commercial purposes nor will I copy Hans Klok's original presentation. I just want to borrow the principles used for the props, so do you know if we are allowed to purchase just the performance right?

To LanceRich:
Ah, but I thought the slicer that Franz invented is the 9 cuts one?

Will - You have the same attitude I had when I was performing professionally: build them yourself, thus saving yourself money. I wouldn't say it's a hard illusion to build. If you have experience of doing such things, then it doesn't present any particular difficulties.

As for the question of rights - that is a tricky one (pun not intended). The "slicer" illusion has gone through many versions, and the one Klok is doing is based on Harary's original, just reducing the number of "slices" from 12 to 7. I would send each of them (Klok and Harary) an email telling them of your intention to build it, and if they have any serious objections, you could perhaps talk royalties with them for the idea.

Here is a video of Franz doing the 12 slice version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab4wQ4IcoGk

Here is Phillippart doing the 7 slice version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBjP2Rs96po

FYI - I professionally built over 200 illusions while I was a pro. I developed a reputation for building them, and I built many illusions for other pros, most notably Wayne Dobson (before he got sick). This was for his TV show on Thames TV here in the UK, during the 1980s. If you want any advice on any difficult part of your build, PM me. I'll help for free if I can.
willconjuror
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of willconjuror
Thank you so much for offering the help guys, I will try to contact both of them before I proceed
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
The people to contact are:

Franz Harary as he came up with the original concept
Paul Philippart for the use of his design

The one Hans Klok is using was build for him by Philippart with the rights paid to Harary.
willconjuror
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of willconjuror
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, RVH Magic wrote:

The one Hans Klok is using was build for him by Philippart with the rights paid to Harary.

Hi Rafael, nice to meet you ! I'm a huge fan of your comedy magic Smile
I have already contacted Franz and got the permission, now I just need to contact Philippart.

Thank you so much for the direction
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Did Copperfield get permission from Franz?

He performed it.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

He performed it.

I'm sure he did, he always gets permission before performing other's matherial, that's the way to go.
willconjuror
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of willconjuror
David Copperfield owns performance right of most of the stage Illusions on this planet.
Chrisdev
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Chrisdev
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, RVH Magic wrote:

Sometimes, Hans Klok forget to ask rights or refuse to ask rights also Rafael ...
I have the example for My arm on visible cut in 3 but I'm sure you'll never tell him...
Chris Deve

"Designer of Magic Illusions"
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
You could also have an illusion designer create something brand new for you that would be yours. I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but I'm in Mississauga, ON with my workshop in Brampton.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

He performed it.

Hi,

David Copperfield got his Harary Slicer build in the 80's by David Mendoza from MagiCraft in Los Angeles and he got the permission of course. Before leaving the illusion business they build a lot of illusions for David and other world renomed magic stars. The Harary Slicer was officially available for all illusionists from them.

Oliver.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Cris Dev, I don't agree with you. Cutting an arm in three parts is not new at all. The name just a few: Kalanag, Copperfield (2008 ?), Puchinger, Bill Schmeelk. But I will agree that the type of your presentation is different. Hans Klok does NOT use your type of presentation and equipment.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Performance Right of Cut in 7 (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL