The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Eutopia (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Ground Rules: You are allowed to disagree with an idea, but must suggest one yourself. So no blatant criticism without contributing as well. Contribute one thing per post; so no lists please.

A Perfect World. Considering the other threads on NVMS (Global Warming, Military Spending, Gun stuff, etc), if you had to power to change one thing to make the world a better place what would it be?

I have some rather extreme concepts so you would never want me to be in charge, so my least extreme concept would be to eliminate 99% of private vehicles and make public transportation mandatory.

This is a detail list from 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo......_by_year

Month Fatalities In-vehicle casualties (excluding uninjured bus occupants)Non-vehicle casualties (including pedestrians)

2010-01-- 2290---------4785------------------------------------------------------------- 427
2010-02-- 2016-------- 4340------------------------------------------------------------- 386
2010-03-- 2423-------- 5087------------------------------------------------------------- 407
2010-04-- 2777-------- 5775------------------------------------------------------------- 404
2010-05-- 2934-------- 6066------------------------------------------------------------- 418
2010-06-- 2795-------- 5809------------------------------------------------------------- 348
2010-07-- 3095-------- 6763------------------------------------------------------------- 456
2010-08-- 3083-------- 6549------------------------------------------------------------- 428
2010-09-- 3024-------- 6309------------------------------------------------------------- 511
2010-10-- 3056-------- 6382------------------------------------------------------------- 543
2010-11-- 2795-------- 5842------------------------------------------------------------- 573
2010-12-- 2597-------- 5417------------------------------------------------------------- 548

This isn't just about public safety (though it would save a lot of lives), but to remove that desire for status verses the general public good. It would also reduce pollution and carbon footprints as well.

Of course the public transportation would have to be seriously upgraded. I would rather like the idea of not having to drive to and fro after a hard day at work.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Nice idea, Brian. I'll try and fit in with the "least extreme concept" motif, although I know that's very relative.

Universal single payer health care.

It will save at least tens of thousands of lives directly every year, while indirectly increasing the spending power of the average family.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Make all life on the planet vanish.
No life - no predation - no suffering - no fuss.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Ground Rules: You are allowed to disagree with an idea, but must suggest one yourself. So no blatant criticism without contributing as well. Contribute one thing per post; so no lists please.

A Perfect World. Considering the other threads on NVMS (Global Warming, Military Spending, Gun stuff, etc), if you had to power to change one thing to make the world a better place what would it be?

I have some rather extreme concepts so you would never want me to be in charge, so my least extreme concept would be to eliminate 99% of private vehicles and make public transportation mandatory.

This is a detail list from 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo......_by_year

Month Fatalities In-vehicle casualties (excluding uninjured bus occupants)Non-vehicle casualties (including pedestrians)

2010-01-- 2290---------4785------------------------------------------------------------- 427
2010-02-- 2016-------- 4340------------------------------------------------------------- 386
2010-03-- 2423-------- 5087------------------------------------------------------------- 407
2010-04-- 2777-------- 5775------------------------------------------------------------- 404
2010-05-- 2934-------- 6066------------------------------------------------------------- 418
2010-06-- 2795-------- 5809------------------------------------------------------------- 348
2010-07-- 3095-------- 6763------------------------------------------------------------- 456
2010-08-- 3083-------- 6549------------------------------------------------------------- 428
2010-09-- 3024-------- 6309------------------------------------------------------------- 511
2010-10-- 3056-------- 6382------------------------------------------------------------- 543
2010-11-- 2795-------- 5842------------------------------------------------------------- 573
2010-12-- 2597-------- 5417------------------------------------------------------------- 548

This isn't just about public safety (though it would save a lot of lives), but to remove that desire for status verses the general public good. It would also reduce pollution and carbon footprints as well.

Of course the public transportation would have to be seriously upgraded. I would rather like the idea of not having to drive to and fro after a hard day at work.

I can't buy that one ... The next time my wife says let's drive to the beach and make love on the sand at midnight I'd better be in the top 1% or daddy aint gettin' lucky....(AND I'D BE ONE CHILD DOWN)

However. I would restore the $2.7 Trillion dollars to my/our Social Security Retirement Account .... Pay 100% retirement at 62 and I'd DOUBLE the amount if you really quit working (Total retirement).. This would open up at least 10,000,000 jobs the first month. The economy would go nuts, supply and demand would drive the minimum wage higher without government mandates and the retired folks could actually retire after paying in for 46 years ... I HAVE A DREAM!!!!!! Win win win win ...We will win again!!!!!
Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
#2 Mandatory Military or Civil Service after high school or college for 2 years.

This would provide a skill set to build upon. If physically unfit for the military civil service (post office, DMV, Etc...) would eliminate most of the disgruntle workers; seeing it would only be for 2 years.

Continued service in both services would be optional to the individual.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
#2: Legalize all drugs; retain harsh penalties for crimes that happen while under the influence.

Save billions in enforcement; stop filling the jails with people who are not criminals; undercut the excuse used to arm paramilitaries and intervention around the world; increase tax revenue from both users and sellers; medicalize addiction problem so that some useful research concerning addiction could actually take place. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but of course, YMMV.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, landmark wrote:
#2: Legalize all drugs; retain harsh penalties for crimes that happen while under the influence.

Save billions in enforcement; stop filling the jails with people who are not criminals; undercut the excuse used to arm paramilitaries and intervention around the world; increase tax revenue from both users and sellers; medicalize addiction problem so that some useful research concerning addiction could actually take place. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but of course, YMMV.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far; I'd probably make an exception for some drugs, e.g. PCP, but for the most part, I'm largely with you on all counts.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
#2 Mandatory Military or Civil Service after high school or college for 2 years.

This would provide a skill set to build upon. If physically unfit for the military civil service (post office, DMV, Etc...) would eliminate most of the disgruntle workers; seeing it would only be for 2 years.

I like this one a lot!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If there's one thing that would improve the attitude of DMV workers, it's being forced to be there under penalty of law!

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Civil law suits:

Losing plaintiff pays all court costs, defendant's court costs and penalty to defendant, set by judge or jury.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, Bob1Dog wrote:
Civil law suits:

Losing plaintiff pays all court costs, defendant's court costs and penalty to defendant, set by judge or jury.

That one's got some real pros and cons. "Loser pays" is done in some specific circumstances, but it does deter people with legitimate cases from pursuing those cases if the outcome is uncertain. If you have a $20,000 personal injury case and it really is someone else's fault, you can pursue it on a contingency (pay if you win) basis, but what are you going to do if it's only 60% likely that you'll win, and you'll be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars if you don't? Forced to take a big gamble or eat the damage.

It's got some definite upside, too, but it's not a no-brainer.

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:

I like this if only they promise to retain their weapons and target practice at least once a year at the expense of the government. Thereby having a backup military militia ready at all times to avoid attacks by both domestic or foreign enemies. They should be allowed to be armed in any situations ... No gun free zones for them.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Civil law suits:

That one's got some real pros and cons. "Loser pays" is done in some specific circumstances, but it does deter people with legitimate cases from pursuing those cases if the outcome is uncertain. If you have a $20,000 personal injury case and it really is someone else's fault, you can pursue it on a contingency (pay if you win) basis, but what are you going to do if it's only 60% likely that you'll win, and you'll be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars if you don't? Forced to take a big gamble or eat the damage.

Lobo, I would expect a lawyer to take your position. But my main drive here is to prevent folks from pursuing frivolous law suits. If you have a case and it has merit then, sue. But sorry, if you go after me and lose, you should at least have to pay court costs and defendant's legal costs. Folks today have become far too litigious in the effort to make a quick buck; just looking for reasons to sue someone. I live in fear of it myself. Someone trips on my sidewalk and breaks his/her hip, I get sued. It happens all the time. Prove why I caused the fall and win. Don't prove it and you pay my legal fees for my having to defend myself. And court costs as well. Seems pretty simple to me. Try to understand it from my point of view as a layman and not a lawyer's point of view, and I don't mean that derisively.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Civil law suits:

Lobo, I would expect a lawyer to take your position. But my main drive here is to prevent folks from pursuing frivolous law suits. If you have a case and it has merit then, sue. But sorry, if you go after me and lose, you should at least have to pay court costs and defendant's legal costs. Folks today have become far too litigious in the effort to make a quick buck; just looking for reasons to sue someone. I live in fear of it myself. Someone trips on my sidewalk and breaks his/her hip, I get sued. It happens all the time. Prove why I caused the fall and win. Don't prove it and you pay my legal fees for my having to defend myself. And court costs as well. Seems pretty simple to me. Try to understand it from my point of view as a layman and not a lawyer's point of view, and I don't mean that derisively.

I understand your position quite well, and I understand that your aim is to deter frivolous lawsuits. However, you should realize a couple of things. First, there are already provisions in many states where the loser in a frivolous lawsuit DOES have to pay the other side's fees. Second, while your proposal would, indeed, deter frivolous lawsuits, it would also deter many NON frivolous lawsuits.

Put yourself in the position of someone of limited means or on a fixed income. You suffer $10,000 in damages. You have a meritorious case, but by no means a slam dunk. Under your proposal, you have two choices: Eat the $10,000, or sue and risk being out not only the $10,000, but several thousand more if you lose your NON-frivolous case. The current rules do incentive some bad cases to be pursued. But they also protect the rights of people who aren't rich to pursue good cases.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The perfect world be, one of government domination, defined by anxiety, hatred, and cruelty, run by the pope and the inquisition, which is what we have got and so I wouldn’t change anything if I were you.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
If there's one thing that would improve the attitude of DMV workers, it's being forced to be there under penalty of law!

I believe you are making a joke, but I will respond to clarify my original position. Most young people are eager to go out and change the world and go forth bright eyed and bushy tailed. Then they learn a lesson in futility and become disgruntle drones. Luckily, that takes about 2 years and by then another bright eyed bushy tailed youth enters the fray.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, landmark wrote:

I'm surprised to hear this one from you Jack. This is a bit too close to Brave New World for me.

Is it the allocation of tax dollars spent each year with limited returns you wish to change, or are you saying we should embrace better living through chemistry?
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
Civil law suits:

I think this may be treating the sting instead of swatting the bees. What do you think could be done to stop it at the source?

I think it would be interesting to see all civil cases handled by Judge Judy, or someone of her ilk. Publicly broadcasted to bring public condemnation to companies that utilize sleazy legal methods to win the case. This would bring in the winning the battle but losing the war scenario and make companies take pause. It would also publicly identify those individuals that look for reasons to sue at every whim.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:

Put yourself in the position of someone of limited means or on a fixed income. You suffer $10,000 in damages. You have a meritorious case, but by no means a slam dunk. Under your proposal, you have two choices: Eat the $10,000, or sue and risk being out not only the $10,000, but several thousand more if you lose your NON-frivolous case. The current rules do incentive some bad cases to be pursued. But they also protect the rights of people who aren't rich to pursue good cases.

I shoulda' known better than to take on a lawyer. Smile

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Eutopia (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL