The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » V by Manos Kartsakis Which Hand Effect (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3342 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
It's all great thinking, but for me Verbalist is the crown jewel! I kind of agree about Vox, though I'm sure it can work just fine with the right person.

But Verbalist.... is amazing and will fool almost anyone!

(I'm including Verbalist 2.0 here, though I like the original better personally)
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Manos Kartsakis
I am glad so many people like Verbalist.
Fun Fact:
Verbalist was the very first "which hand" routine I ever came up with after watching Atlas Brookings' effect Imbalance that was in his Penguin Live Lecture. If you visit Penguin's site you can still see my review under Atlas' Lecture that I left a little more than 2 years ago saying how much I loved Imbalance and that his lecture inspired me to start working on my routines. A few days later I created Verbalist, and right after that, I created what is now known as Tequila Hustler, because I wanted a one person version as well. Fast forward a little more than a year later, someone told me that Mark Elsdon had recently come up with a similar idea and after I showed Mark my routine he informed me that he came up with the same method and was planning on releasing it. We agreed that he was going to publish this idea in his book and I was going to publish the rest of my ideas. Of course, I also had a Skype session with Atlas because I wanted his permission before I publish Verbalist but I ended up fooling him with it because he wasn't able to spot that I was using a similar technique to Imbalance. He really enjoyed that one. Smile
Overall, Atlas was a great help because he introduced me to Michael Murray who helped me publish the original "V". What is also funny about this story is that even though I decided not to include "Tequila Hustler" (that wasn't the name I had given it) in my book, I had no idea that this would possibly create mishaps for my book. Some magic shops were hesitant to pick up my book since they already had TH and did not want to stock 2 products that were so similar and I know that there were many people who thought "I already have TH, why should I bother picking up another book that has similar techniques?". Anyway, it all ended well for me and I couldn't be happier with the way this project was received by the community.
Sorry for making such a long post. I will stop here, just wanted to share some of my thoughts and some trivia behind my work with the rest of you.
Thank you all for supporting this project and for being so nice to me in my first publication. I am grateful to every single one of you.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
663 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I must be a bit slow. A few posts are calling VOX 2.0 transparent, but I followed along with the video and had a lovely moment as I was fooled over a screen. I don't want to watch it again (and I have not read this yet). If this is the weakest, I am blown away.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2216 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I agree Sean. I too had a lovely moment when taking part in the screen demo.

Well worth trying.
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1810 Posts

Profile of Prager
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2017, Waters. wrote:
I must be a bit slow. A few posts are calling VOX 2.0 transparent, but I followed along with the video and had a lovely moment as I was fooled over a screen. I don't want to watch it again (and I have not read this yet). If this is the weakest, I am blown away.

Big fan of Vox 2.0, it's my favorite from the book. It's really direct. The process fits the premise perfectly.
👌🏻
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1238 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I too was initially fooled by the trailer... and I loved it!! It was THAT moment that made the decision for me to purchase. But I see that the option for a physical copy is unavailable on MindFX... dang! Hope some good news is coming soon...

Seth
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

In my opinion, all the routines in the book can be equally deceptive (maybe except Verbalist/2.0, maybe that one takes the cake in terms of deception). At the end of the day, I really believe it is a matter of preference. I am glad that everyone has found a routine that they enjoy performing. That was the point of it all and that's why they all made it in the book. So if you are saying that one routine really works for you but others prefer a different one, that's completely normal, no one is wrong about anything. Just different people with different tastes, that's all. Smile
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

@Seth
I hadn't realized that the printed copies ran out on MindFx again until you mentioned it. I know that Michael has already made an order for more because Alakazam also sold out so I am assuming that he ordered his copies as well and more will be available in the next couple of days on MindFx.
danster08
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of danster08
Thanks Manos for sharing more of the history behind V. I find it very interesting. I also like hearing about the inspiration for the effect. This has encouraged me to pickup Atlas' lecture to see what he has to share. It is always great to hear what inspires creators like yourself. If I hadn't picked up RPL by Jay, I would not have spoken to him and discovered your work. It is great to share in this way.
Daniel Lee
317-941-6FUN
http://danielleemagic.com/
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6915 Posts

Profile of bowers
Atlas's lecture is also great.As a matter of fact.
All his work is alsome.You will not be disappointed
with V danster.
Shaukat
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Shaukat
I saw the video twice and I was fooled. It was amazing. There are certain effects that look transparent once you know the secret. Well, those who figured it out immediately will probably not feel comfortable performing it, but people like me will always remember how it felt when we first saw it, and I think this feeling will encourage us to perform. I haven't bought the book and yet I am writing all this. After I buy the book, this post will remind me how great this effect is. Well Done Manos!
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
380 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
Yia Sou Mark! Do you make up the "prop" used in Velvet ? The brand I used are no longer available because the rights were sold to Meir Yedid. I spoke with Meir and he said he doesn't have anyone with time to make them. I just ordered Mark Chandaue's book (your manuscript led me to it.) Does he teach how to make his version, or are they commercially available?
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

@ John McLaughlin
Yia sou John. I order my envelopes to Barry Fazackerley (you can find him on Facebook) or his online magic shop www.blackcatmagic.co.uk
If you want to make them yourself, everything you need is in Harpacrown including pictures with the exact dimensions and instructions. You will also get much more from this book than just the envelope design.The book shows you exactly how to cut the envelope and how to fold it step by step to put it together. The instructions are not difficult at all, but I am so clumsy when doing arts and crafts that I always end up gluing my fingers to my eyebrows or something ridiculous like that. Barry, on the other hand, makes the envelopes look perfect and can also print something on them. Mine have a question mark on them. Not only do I like that design but it also helps me keep track of the orientation when I perform. Smile
Regarding the printed copies of V2 that were mentioned in another post, we ran out faster than expected almost everywhere and I was informed that new copies will be available again next week. Keep an open eye for that because they tend to sell out quite fast. Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3432 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Even I get my Chandaulopes from Barry at Black Cat, he makes them so well.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
704 Posts

Profile of carlwag
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Even I get my Chandaulopes from Barry at Black Cat, he makes them so well.

Mark

Me too mark , I have some red ones coming too 👍
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Verbalist is so good that it makes prevaricator obsolete imo. But I'm actually glad that TH was released separately... otherwise, I'm not sure I would've came up with my own ideas. I use the method to negate the method, then it's all about presentation.
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2216 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Just received the printed publication from Michael Murray. So much nicer to have a book to hold and study, and well produced too. Something now to study and enjoy.

Neil
wizard75d
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of wizard75d
This is such a wonderful evolution of the 'which hand' premise. Manos has succeeded in providing very simple and unencumbered instructions for the spectator involved, whilst burying the method and removing the ability to backtrack. I will be using this. I couldn't recommend highly enough.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
579 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
If you are into which hand routines, then this really is a no brainer.

The routines are direct and easy to learn, perform and understand. Routines for 1 person or multiple. Routines without even asking a question.

I personally love Verbalist, for the chance it gives for them to just THINK of the answer, which you reveal. Very powerful. Also, the routine on the Penguin video is exactly as written, so what you see is what you get. All of that, plus the extra bonus routine.

The only negative (this is very subjective, a personal opinion, which I know I will get flamed for by those who don't understand my point) is that the Penguin video misrepresents what the book looks like. That in no way takes away from the routines, and the book itself is nicely produced. But many of those who prefer books know that there is something hard to describe about the physical aspect of the book. To almost as if the book itself is a pleasure. Unfortunately the video suggests a hard bound book that is much bigger than the actual book. Its a very personal disappointment and I blame Penguin for it. Why not just show the actual book rather than misrepresenting it, it's a nicely produced soft back edition that should stand on its own merit.

However, it is not something that should affect anyone's decision whether or not to purchase it. The price point is spot on, and the routines are suitable for the hobbyist as well as the working pro. It can be done as mentalist, or magic, or mental magic, or reading body language etc etc etc.

Well written, well presented, and a very worthwhile addition to the collection of which hand effects.

Nice one Manos, well done.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1844 Posts

Profile of Platt
I love the fact that someone is putting out an actual book. I think it's noble that Manos did the video demonstration even though the very fact that it's a video leads you down the garden path. But very clever and I could see it working for the right audience (I imagine a child or slightly intoxicated adult could easily mess up the somewhat linguistically tricky instruction). But I'm looking forward to this.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » V by Manos Kartsakis Which Hand Effect (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL