The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » V by Manos Kartsakis Which Hand Effect (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Manos Kartsakis
Hello everyone.
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about my book. I am happy to announce that there are more physical copies available on the MindFx website so if you are still looking for one, now is your chance to get it before they (hopefully) sell out again.
@Rolyan
I know that the book looks different in real life than in the trailer on Penguin but since they are just selling the ebook and not physical copies, I assume they considered it artistic license. I am glad that the routines did not disappoint you nonetheless.
@Platt
The routine in the video is actually the one that is a bit more tricky to follow than any other routine in the book. All the others are more straightforward. However this was the one I thought would play better for the spectators on video that's why I chose it for the trailer. To give you an example of how simple other routines are, in "Verbalist 2.0" all you ask the spectators is "Is it in this hand?" and they can either lie or tell the truth. Thanks again everyone for expressing an interest in my work. Have a great day.
All the best
Manos
dancecoach
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of dancecoach
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2017, Shaukat wrote:
I saw the video twice and I was fooled. It was amazing. There are certain effects that look transparent once you know the secret. Well, those who figured it out immediately will probably not feel comfortable performing it, but people like me will always remember how it felt when we first saw it, and I think this feeling will encourage us to perform. I haven't bought the book and yet I am writing all this. After I buy the book, this post will remind me how great this effect is. Well Done Manos!

Unfortunately, the demo video didn't do the magic for me, and I am quite puzzled about what I would receive in this book with a $35 price tag.
But the reviews on "Verbalist" are indeed intriguing.

I use x-ray in close-up situations successfully but am now looking for different methods to mix in for a stage performance in front of a clever audience.

Thanks,
Andreas
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Andreas,
For stage I use Vice Versa all the time. This routine is not based on a l***c p****e and it has multiple phases. Feel free to contact me with any inquiries and I will be happy to walk you through all the routines before you decide if you want to purchase it or not. I want everyone who decides to buy my book to be happy with their decision and know exactly what they are getting. I can't really try to convince you by telling you how good the routines are because my opinion is biased. Obviously they are good for me but they also have to be good for you in order to make that investment. Smile
Thanks again for your interest.
dancecoach
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of dancecoach
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2017, Manos Kartsakis wrote:
Andreas,
For stage I use Vice Versa all the time. This routine is not based on a l***c p****e and it has multiple phases. Feel free to contact me with any inquiries and I will be happy to walk you through all the routines before you decide if you want to purchase it or not. I want everyone who decides to buy my book to be happy with their decision and know exactly what they are getting. I can't really try to convince you by telling you how good the routines are because my opinion is biased. Obviously they are good for me but they also have to be good for you in order to make that investment. Smile
Thanks again for your interest.

Thank you Manos, pm'ed you.
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Hello everyone. If you have purchased V2 you can now join the V2 owners discussion group on Facebook which you can find in the link below. There are already some interesting ideas in there. Please make sure you answer the question that is asked when you ask to join the group so that an admin can approve your request. Thanks in advance. Smile
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1751105361848474/
Shaukat
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Shaukat
I bought the book from Michael a few days ago. It's a very well-written book with many great effects. Verbalist is my favorite. In fact, I just performed T.H. and Verbalist at a small family gathering and got Great reactions. Highly recommended.
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Hello again everyone. Just wanted to let you know that Murphy's has stocked physical copies of V2 and it is now available worldwide through your favourite magic dealers. There's also a special discounted price from what I saw in some magic shops so if you are still considering getting one, now is the chance. I would also suggest joining the Facebook group for V2 owners after purchasing it. There are already some great ideas in there and I am planning to add something special in a couple of weeks from now. Smile
P.S.: To be accepted by an admin in the Facebook group please make sure that you answer the question that appears when you ask to join the group. Thank you for your time. Smile
You can find the group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1751105361848474/
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Mentalists and magician friends. I would like to have your attention for a minute.
As you already know, I have shared my thoughts on the which hand plot in my books V and V2 the last 2 years. It was very important to me to do everything right in my first publication and one of the most important things I took into account was crediting. I wanted to make sure that everyone who had similar work would be credited and most importantly that my ideas had not been previously published. That was the reason that one of the logic puzzles, the one that is now known as Tequila Hustler, was left out of my book when I chatted with Mark Elsdon and he mentioned that he was going to publish it.
Of course, I did not take up such an important task by myself but requested the assistance of more knowledgeable mentalists such as Michael Murray and Max Maven among others who helped with the research and the crediting.
However, it looks like there is something that flew under everyone's radar. When I woke up this morning, I saw an email by a gentleman called Ryan Frame. In this email he politely pointed out that my routine Verbalist shares a striking resemblance to his routine ROTVARI which had been published as a bonus routine in Patrick Redford's "Prevaricator". I immediately looked into this and asked for the assistance of some friends who own Prevaricator. Initially, some of them told me that they could not find this routine anywhere in the manuscript but upon looking more closely we managed to find it in the e-book that is in the DVD. Huge thanks to Justin Saul for his help.
After looking into the routine I found out that the logic puzzle that I use in my routine and the logic puzzle that is used in ROTVARI are the same. There are differences in the routining, structure and how I handle one of the outcomes (when I get 3 of the same answers, I use a different technique than the one described in ROTVARI) but other than that it's the same.
I immediately contacted Ryan who understood that we both came up with the same method independently using different approaches. He was trying to use the same question as in Prevaricator but come up with a different method, and I was experimenting with detecting anomalies in spectators' answers as in Atlas Brookings' "Imbalance".
After our email exchange, Ryan has no problem with my book and he only suggested exchanging a few more ideas since we think in such a similar way. I could have kept quiet about this and no one would know about it. However, this is not how I like to do things. I would like everyone to know, and I would like everyone to hear it from me that Ryan Frame came up with the same logic puzzle I use in Verbalist and what I have done in my work is to refine it and come up with the second version (Verbalist 2.0) which is a little more different.
Even though Ryan did not ask me to say this publicly, I believe that now the record has been set straight. I have also contacted Michael Murray and asked him to edit the crediting section in V2 and add Ryan's name and routine. Have a nice day everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this.
Manos
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
What brilliant crediting and hats off to Ryan for being such a gentleman. You guys should link up and create some amazing routines.
Thanks to Manos and Ryan for excellent contributions.
dancecoach
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of dancecoach
Manos,
you're a gentleman, too. Thank you for the further references and details.
Regards fom Hamburg
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
While we are on the subject of crediting, perhaps it would be appropriate to remember who created Prevaricator in the first place.
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

It has recently been brought to my attention that Prevaricator was created by Ben Blau and it was written up and performed at the DVD by Patrick Redford. I apologise for the miscrediting in the above post which I cannot edit due to the way this site operates.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Manos - you are a gentleman AND a scholar (this compliment has NEVER been more appropriate)!
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
Manos has been great through all of this and has gone above and beyond the call of duty. Let me clarify a few points. ROTVARI was created before the Prevaricator DVD came out... by several years. It was not published. You might say that Prevaricator and ROTVARI BOTH were inspired by Ring Of Truth, Steve Shaw's routine that I read in Psychological Subtleties. Patrick was trying to replace the logic puzzle with something more direct and he used Ben Blau's observation to get a very reliable tell. I was a bit frustrated by one of the questions in ROT that was I felt was a bit confusing and which caused a guest now and then to answer incorrectly. Regardless of how you feel on this point, I asked myself, would someone claiming to be a lie detector ask that question? After much search I came up with a version that involved two guests instead of one and the ring found at odds of 1 in 4, instead of 1 in 2. And the questions asked are, "Do you have it?" and "Is it in your left hand?" which are THE two questions that a lie detector would normally ask in this situation. ROTVARI means ROT VARI ation.

Some time later I happened to be in e-mail communication with Patrick and he indicated that he was putting together the Prevaricator DVD project. I noted that, many might not attempt to perform Prevaricator because it requires some experience to do well and people don;t want to fail as performers. I offered him ROTVARI as way to bring Prevaricator to a successful conclusion even if no tells were forthcoming which would help people get started without worrying about failure. He liked it and put it on the DVD in the fail-safe section. Clearly, ROTVARI is NOT Prevaricator and so is in its own section on the DVD... but I do not think it is hidden in any way. If you put the DVD in and choose "play all" the fail-safe section will come up on the DVD and Patrick will explain ROTVARI. If you do not watch it through, of course, you will not see it.

Both Manos and I have since improved upon it in different ways. I really like the book V2 and have quite enjoyed corresponding with Manos since. He seems to be a class act and I look forward to good things from him in the future.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I'm pleased this was all resolved quickly!

ROTVARI is an invaluable contribution to the Prevaricator project and really is the best "fail safe" one can have. It's such a useful technique and it IS taught in the video (not just in the 3-book. My variations of it with two and three people are also taught. Ryan Frame really introduced the missing ingredient that make Prevaricator sing the way it needs to sing and be the workhorse that it is. If you're one of the many who've over looked this section of both the e-book (that comes with the DVD) or the teaching section in the video of itself. Please revisit it! It's wonderful stuff. Thanks Ryan for being part of it. All these years later and I still think your contributions are really what made this such a solid piece of magic.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, Manos Kartsakis wrote:
It has recently been brought to my attention that Prevaricator was created by Ben Blau and it was written up and performed at the DVD by Patrick Redford. I apologise for the miscrediting in the above post which I cannot edit due to the way this site operates.

The original core concept was mine. Patrick is the one who put in the hard work of developing it and making it work reliably. The core concept alone isn't enough to get the job done. Patrick determined exactly what the scripting needed to include to get the concept to function as intended in a reliable way. He did more of the "hard work" than I did, and since then it's been expanded upon by so many more people I've lost count.

Ben
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Ben's core concept was detrimental to the crash course in non contact mind reading that is known as Prevaricator. There is so much to learn (I'm always learning) and so much more to discover (I'm still discovering). Ben is a wonderful thinker in the field of mentalism and I'm pleased to call him friend. Combining this core concept with the logic algorithms, psychological bluffs, tetrid ploys, etc make it a complete package. My two favorite pieces of the puzzle that really make everything sing are Ben Blau's and Ryan Frame's!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I’m pretty sure that Patrick didn’t mean to type “detrimental”. 🤓
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

How embarrassing. I didn't mean "detrimental." INDISPENSABLE was the word I was looking for.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » V by Manos Kartsakis Which Hand Effect (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL