The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » V by Manos Kartsakis Which Hand Effect (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
616 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Both Tequila Hustle and V are among the top 10 releases of the year from my point if view. I am very happy I bought them both. Impromptu Miracles at their best.
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
I think V is a super strong effect but for me I can't find a way around it being a "coincidence" effect. With Freddy's version, I can at least talk about the outcome in relation to the objects they've selected or not selected.

'V' unfortunately doesn't fit my performance style but is a very strong release regardless.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6922 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:
On May 3, 2016, Dannicus wrote:
Both Tequila Hustle and V are among the top 10 releases of the year from my point if view. I am very happy I bought them both. Impromptu Miracles at their best.

Exactly my thoughts also.These two effects are perfect togeather.
I love both of them.Perfect anytime anyplace with nothing to
bring to the table except you..
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Ahem, ahem...

I’m just going to leave this here (taken from Patrick Redford's Prevaricator official manuscript):

The history of such an effect in the magic community begins in 1978 when Gerald Kosky first contributed
his version, “To Tell The Truth,” to the Apocalypse (Vol. 1, June 1978) based on an old logic problem
that has reportedly found itself in print in many old books of mathematics. His version involved the use of one
question as asked of only one of the two participants. In this version, there had to be a liar and a truth teller.

Oh, so it was just one question too? Interesting.

What's the difference then with...

Uhhh... Wait! Does this mean that... uhm..

Oh, wait...

Let me see... Credits? Nope. Nada.

Ok, gotta go.

Cheers,

Andreu.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6922 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2016, Relick666 wrote:
Ahem, ahem...

I’m just going to leave this here (taken from Patrick Redford's Prevaricator official manuscript):

[i]The history of such an effect in the magic community begins in 1978 when Gerald Kosky first contributed
his version, “To Tell The Truth,” to the Apocalypse (Vol. 1, June 1978) based on an old logic problem
that has reportedly found itself in print in many old books of mathematics. His version involved the use of one
question as asked of only one of the two participants. In this version, there had to be a liar and a truth teller. [/i

Oh, so it was just one question too? Interesting.

What's the difference then with...

Uhhh... Wait! Does this mean that... uhm..

Oh, wait...

Let me see... Credits? Nope. Nada.

Ok, gotta go.

Cheers,

Andreu.

you must not have the book my friend.
Because I am looking at it right now.
And guess what the credits are there in black and white.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of rasp
Manos Kartsakis, Michael Murray and myself all worked tirelessly on this project. The credits are there!!

Andreu, your post makes no sense whatsoever.
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Even supposing I missed the Credits, HOW is it different to the approach explained by Gerald Kosky? How??

Please! The approach is basically the same one, with a different name for the effect.

(Oh, and it also involves an unjustified procedure for the spectator that I won't mention).

My advice would be, send it to more knowledgeable guys out there, then maybe release it officially. Wait, maybe it's too late for that(?)

Take it as friendly advice.

Just my 2 dollars,

Andreu.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
480 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Hi Andrue,

I'm sincerely wondering if you might have "V" mistaken for another release...

"V" contains FOUR VERY DIFFERENT APPROACHES to this plot - to which one are you referring?

I agree that Kosky pioneered the BASIC principle (as applied to mentalism and this plot) but the routines in "V" are MUCH more similar to the ADVANCEMENT of the principle as used in Mark Elsdon's "Tequila Hustler". Accusing Manos of ripping off Kosky is akin to saying that anyone who has work on a star sign revelation built on a particular methodology is ripping off the first person to apply that concept to the plot.

Beyond that - both "V" and "TH" are worthwhile releases because they overcome the overt use of lo**c that is so apparant (and often confusing) to those participating.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Now Available: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
739 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Hey Drew,
I sent you a PM.
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:

I agree that Kosky pioneered the BASIC principle (as applied to mentalism and this plot) but the routines in "V" are MUCH more similar to the ADVANCEMENT of the principle as used in Mark Elsdon's "Tequila Hustler". Accusing Manos of ripping off Kosky is akin to saying that anyone who has work on a star sign revelation built on a particular methodology is ripping off the first person to apply that concept to the plot.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

Having discussed long time about similar ideas with knowledgeable folks & friends, I have to say I miss to see any real advancement as you mention.

A clever spectator will figure this out, too: Annemann once mentioned spectators are not so dumb as "magicians" assume they are. Same logic applies herein.

Also, I'm not accusing him of ripping it off - just of not advancing the idea enough to make it worth publishing, that's all. We had discussed long time ago very similar ideas with friends. Why weren't they published? Go figure out. Smile

Again, it's my opinion and I respect yours too.

Best regards,

Andreu.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3452 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I guess you haven't got the book because this offers a massive improvement over the original. Many have played with this plot using variations of the original logic puzzle. This one probably does the best job of hiding the logic I've ever seen particularly in the two person version. The two person version plays out just like prevaricator but with no prevarication and a spectator would be beyond clever to pick it up. I'm familiar with just about every version of this plot and the two person one floored me. The final effect in the book is also a lovely routine. I got three things that I would use out of this book so definitely worthy of release.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6922 Posts

Profile of bowers
I really enjoy Verbalist the best.
The 2 person version.Would be very
hard to backtrack.But all are good.
Todd
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11635 Posts

Profile of John C
I suppose a "clever" spectator could could figure out anything we do. But if done correctly the specs may not deny the entertainment value we provide.

Carry on please.....

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6922 Posts

Profile of bowers
So true John.Thats why a professional knows
how to present it with a logical disconnect
to futher though off the spectator.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
480 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I too can confirm that both TH and The Verbalist (from "V") are deceptive and entertaining if performed competently. I've been switching between the two over the last several months and using my handling to great effect with rooms full of computer programmers, mathematicians, attorneys, and the like. As John said - a quick participant can clock ANYTHING performed poorly...but that's more a function of "user-error" than any fault in the technique.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND

Relick666
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Manos emailed me about it and said that he tried to work as best as he could along with the plot.

I have to say I value his effort to do this and also the fact that he's open about admitting similarities with Manoeda, TH, etc. Nothing wrong with that and please excuse me for my initial post as I made a mistake (I'm human after all lol).

Also saw he's working on some ideas.

That's cool, I always look forward to new creations and encourage them.

Best regards,

Andreu.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
480 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Andrue - mistakes do happen so no worries there.

I will say though that the MANNER by which you chose to communicate your opinion (based on what sounds like partial knowledge of the product) was a bit harsh... Just a thought to keep in mind next time you feel so strongly about a release.

Best,

Drew

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND

celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Spoke with Andreu personally, given time to reflect I know he regrets his initial post.

Huge respect to Manos for taking the personal time away from is new bride to speak with and help Andreu personally. I was super proud that Manos allowed me (with the greatest of help from "Rasp") to bring his work to the community.

Manos is an immensely knowledgeably guy who has remained hidden for so long. He has some incredible effects (some of the very best I have seen, and I have seen a lot) that I hope will be shared with the community soon.

Best Wishes to all!

Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
For my tastes, Veritus is overly complicated. The visualization process the spectator is asked to do feels unnatural to me. I prefer TH for a one on one situation.

Verbalist, on the other hand is absolutely brilliant! As Manos details, the goal was to do a which hand effect that looked as clean as an electronic version without the electronics, and that's exactly what he's done! I absolutely love this version.

So, I have TH for one on one situations and the Verbalist for two people, and then to really mess with peoples' minds, use my Promystic products mixed in at times. It really makes it impossible for anyone to backtrack!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6922 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2016, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
For my tastes, Veritus is overly complicated. The visualization process the spectator is asked to do feels unnatural to me. I prefer TH for a one on one situation.

Verbalist, on the other hand is absolutely brilliant! As Manos details, the goal was to do a which hand effect that looked as clean as an electronic version without the electronics, and that's exactly what he's done! I absolutely love this version.

So, I have TH for one on one situations and the Verbalist for two people, and then to really mess with peoples' minds, use my Promystic products mixed in at times. It really makes it impossible for anyone to backtrack!

I agree I use Verbalist and TH in conjunction all the time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » V by Manos Kartsakis Which Hand Effect (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL