The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Getting into pure mentalism (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, Slim King wrote:
No .. I mean REAL .... As in Paranormal. Not Scientifically explained or disproven. If you just pretend to be psychic than you are no more convincing than a magician.

so, you mean to claim to have paranormal power for pay when you know it is not true -- a clear definition of charlatanry.
Perhaps an ethical/legal choice for you, but hardly something to suggest to a minor.

Naturally, if you can actually do it repeatedly and predictably it is not paranormal at all for you -- just science (you know the truth of it)

That aside, "being authentic" is an essential element of effective communications -- at least at an empathic level.
So, to create a memory of an "experience of a paranormal event" one should not present any deceptions --
or to understand that your audience knows it is just a game and that you are acting the part.

When someone buys a ticket to see you perform they know there is an element of theater involved, and the spectator has a predisposition/expectation of seeing a paranormal event.
What they observe reenforces their a priori belief/experience even if they know some deception is involved. It's entertainment.

All of which points out why assault type efforts will be a poor choice. One cannot assume any expectation of the paranormal or have the focused attention required to create the experience.

Sure, you can create shock, amazement, revulsion and a memory of being "other than normal." Public executions also do that -- but hardly mentalism.

A maxim os sale's training is, "a salesman never has to lie -- you can create your own truths."
As noted by some above, you can demonstrate abilities normal to you but "other than normal" for most folks and be both entertaining and the instiller of reenforcement for paranormal events.

You can even demonstrate abilities normal to everyone but little known (my preference)

Not being judgmental, Slim -- I am not your mother. Just opinions based on my tens of thousands of presentations where the observer believed I was doing something paranormal but I never used deception. (not mentalism since not for entertainment).

My advice to any young person is to discover who you are and what is "normal for you" before attempting to fake it for entertainment.
Skills like "presence" and "empathic listening" do not come easily to a 14 year old embroiled in vicarious experience and little interpersonal communication exposure.

Yes, you can assault strangers with demonstrations of "mental based" effect -- only seen as what is now classified as "mental magic."

When I was 14 I could do Helstromism better than I can now -- for an audience of twenty or more attentive and respective participants in the event.
"Better" in that in a majority of presentations I was able to sever any physical connection and successfully complete the action. Nothing paranormal, just enhanced acuity.

Now, I can't find a respectful and attentive audience -- certainly not on a street corner.

Perhaps I just don't understand what "pure mentalism" is. SInce it is "for entertainment" how can it be pure?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you're using linguistics, maths, or any other technique/method - then you are not 'real'...you PLAY it for real, and not understanding the difference(s) is crazy...
I've asked to be banned
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
?

Ambiguity: magic played as real, the real played as magic...

The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Honestly in reality nothing needs to be said. You can say "what you are about to see is not true I've studied for x amount of years to make you believe what you are seeing and hearing is true--- but it is not." Till you are blue in the face but follow that up with say Devin Knights Glass Box Prediction and you will still be thought of as a person who could see the future. I'm there to entertain they know it. If they think I can truely tell the future then they are left with a question they no doubt will ask themselves and not be able to answer..."Why doesn't he win the lottery if he can really see the future?". They want to be entertained and we can do that without lieing.

Good magic to all,

Eric
nautilusrex168
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of nautilusrex168
Hi Faizimran,

I am also a beginner in the art. What really helped me when I was starting was Richard Osterlind's Dvd series. Bob Cassidy's book Artful Mentalism of bob cassidy vol 2. fundamentals.

I also found the both Penguin lectures of Looch very very helpful. I also found that watching other mentalists on youtube do their thing helped me create my own persona as well.

Another book worth mentioning is Max Maven's prism book. I've never use any of the ideas here since I got this fairly new but I am starting to like it by the day.

Hope this helps.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, Last Laugh wrote:

I stand corrected! I guess I know that a few did - Millard Longman is another, but I assumed the majority here were magicians first.
Now I'm curious what the percentage is.

Banachek also started out as a mentalist.

I understand Ken Dyne started as a tarot reader.
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I started with magic, then hypnotism, then readings, then mentalism. We all have different paths!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I started as someone who was genuinely curious about supposedly real psychic phenomena. During my studies, I discovered the world of skepticism. I eventually came to the conclusion that real psychic phenomena haven't been proven, as far as my own criteria are concerned. Later, I became aware of the practice of mentalism, and I realized that I could make connections between my genuine interest in the paranormal, skepticism, and appreciation for the mysterious. I admit to having dabbled in traditional magic for a while, but my path has been primarily mentalism all along.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have always said it's a misconception that everyone comes to mentalism through magic or that mentalism is simply a type of magic. The only ones I know that have this belief are magicians!

I know many people that have come to mentalism in ways other than magic. I also believe that the magic route actually makes it harder for many as they still have magician's mentalities, magician's habits, guilt, and performance beliefs that cloud their progress and clarity.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
I have always said it's a misconception that everyone comes to mentalism through magic or that mentalism is simply a type of magic. The only ones I know that have this belief are magicians!

I know many people that have come to mentalism in ways other than magic. I also believe that the magic route actually makes it harder for many as they still have magician's mentalities, magician's habits, guilt, and performance beliefs that cloud their progress and clarity.

I agree with this. For what it is worth, I came into Mentalism with NO Magic background.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Bizarrist first then mentalism for me...have never performed magic tricks, though I do enjoy some magic...

when I did study card magic, it was interesting for a while, but never liked the plots, the classics didn't really do anything for me...hate sponge balls, linking rings and all that kinda stuff...leaves me cold...

i came to it all from writing short stories and my love of 60s and 70s horror/thriller tv shows and films, and my then girlfriend who liked to throw dinner parties, and it went on from there...

i think I'd say that before you get into anything, spend some time reading the biographies of people like Hurkos, Croisette (can never remember how to spell his surname), Rasputin and others..and watch films like MAGIC, Harlequinn and The Medusa Touch...and then step into the history of spiritualism...get a feel for the personas, concepts, claims and behaviours...

because mentalism (for me, I tend to call it classic mentalism to make sure that I mean traditional/old school/proper mentalism) - is character driven, and if you can get to grips with that early on, then you'll be well ahead of the game...

"an intelligent man can entertain a thought, without having to believe in it"
I've asked to be banned
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I love mentalism but I do not do it from any spirit driven backdrop. I do a very light hearted routine that honestly goes so well with my audience. I once went to a show where the mentalist claimed to receive information from the spirit world and then went on to perform some well known effects. I almost passed out from holding back my laughter as he closed his eyes and started shaking as he received his revelations from beyond. But I noticed the audience was uneasy and I know they may still be enjoying themselves but it was too un-easy for my taste of performing. But to each his own. When I perform I mostly perform for a huge age range from 8 to eighty plus and I keep my performance E rated for everyone. I also mix my show doing magic and mentalism. I know to many that's a no no but when you do an overall relaxed show you can pull it off. Basically my theme is telling and showing the differences between magic and mentalism. A good example is my opening routine using my magic cube (electronic by Tim Wisemen) I perform it at first hands on the cube as a magician would then I hand the cube out and have them place the cube in the box and I tell them which color is up as a mentalist would do. Great reactions from this one and iy just gets better from there.

Good magic to all,

Eric
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
Peter Turner and Fraser Parker are my goto guys. No props unless you want to use props.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I am not sure what "pure mentalism" is exactly. I don't buy the notion that the only "pure" variety is one that doesn't use props. Is MOABT not mentalism? How about an effect using a bill*t? Do you draw the line at a notepad? How about a Mental Ep*c board? Would a plastic bag qualify as a prop?

Defining the difference between mental magic and mentalism lies more in the intent and performance view of the performer...and the larger context of that one effect within the rest of the show. What is being presented: a demonstration of mind reading or a puzzle? It's a distinction that is made by the performer and the choices they make about presenting a routine more than the prop or routine itself.

To present "pure mentalism" you need to start by settling in your mind exactly what mentalism IS. Then you listen to the kinds of things people say to you after the show. If they are complimenting you on your great "tricks" they see what you've done as a magic show -- a presentation of puzzles. If they ask you about your "gift" or treat you like you're the real item, it's mentalism.

The above isn't a shot at magic. I love magic. But I realized long ago that what the presentation is or isn't lies in the way the audience reacts to what has been presented. How do they see it? In the final analysis, it's only the audience perception that really matters.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Getting into pure mentalism (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL