The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Password stupidity. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Why is it that my bank requires 16 letters in an original order with at least one lower case, one upper case, a number, a grammatical figure and an emoticon.
Yet
I can save the password on my computer and phone but just use a maximum of 4 numbers to log on?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why don’t read Harry’s book and then keep them all in your head?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Why wouldn't you want a complex password to protect your bank account? The email account linked to the bank should have the same complexity.

Otherwise you become a hackers wet dream. I maintain 5 levels of passwords. This way I only have to remember five and the protection level.

I do have a similar complaint when a site requires a higher level password than what I would consider necessary. Like my time card password, it requires a level 5 password that has to be changed every 60 days. I would list it at a level 2 at the highest, but it is their requirement so I bypass it by doing keyboard patterns. Not very secure, but it's only for access to my time card.

Auto remember is another concern. Depending on your browser, those auto remember passwords are accessible in plain text to anyone who has access to your computer. You can set a master password to protect the password list; which in turn you would have to enter each time the auto feature is used.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I often think that passwords are sort of like locking the car. When I locked my keys in my car once a dude showed up to help. He got in my car almost as fast without the key as I could with the key. It made me wonder exactly who I was keeping out. Often passwords strike me the same way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Depends on the strength of the password. Locks on cars are more of a deterrent than a security feature and are only meant to prevent easy access.

I've seen people use pet names or 'Password1234' as passwords. I've even seen people write ATM pin codes on the card sleeve.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1822 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
During a recent password audit, it was found that a blonde was using the following password:

"MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDeweyDonaldGoofySacramento"

When asked why such a long password, she said she was told that it had to be at least 8 characters long and include at least one capital.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, arthur stead wrote:
During a recent password audit, it was found that a blonde was using the following password:

"MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDeweyDonaldGoofySacramento"

When asked why such a long password, she said she was told that it had to be at least 8 characters long and include at least one capital.



Image
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Ha ha ha... Brian, your rim shot man looks like he is in physical pain.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I was selling tickets for a fundraiser and walked in a pizza shop- right as the owner opened the door.

The phone rang and he said "pizza" then hung up.

I asked what that was about and he said his security company called because the silent alarm went off and his code word was "pizza"

2 things, 1 why would he tell me this?
2 it's a pizza shop, why would his code word be pizza?

So I asked and he said..... He was so overwhelmed that he could only remember the word "pizza"

Go figure.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
Ha ha ha... Brian, your rim shot man looks like he is in physical pain.

After that joke, he probably is.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1822 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I plead guilty.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I use an algorithm (?) for the rear 3 pin # on my credit card. If it is lost or stolen, the folks won't know the CCV #.

For those who don't know, it's an easy system:

Pick a favorite word or phrase of 10 letters long, no repeats. Google the list to make it easy for you. Number the letters in order from 1 to 10. Dedicate another letter to mean 'repeat', such as X.

Now you can scratch out the CCV 3 letters on the rear and write those letters in numbers, using your algorithm, with a Sharpie (or scratch them in).

So: Lets say you use the word 'Algorithms' and your CCV number is 447. You'd write OXT on the back of the Credit card. You'd be able to figure out the numbers easily, but a thief would be high and dry.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2016, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
I use an algorithm (?) for the rear 3 pin # on my credit card. If it is lost or stolen, the folks won't know the CCV #.

For those who don't know, it's an easy system:

Pick a favorite word or phrase of 10 letters long, no repeats. Google the list to make it easy for you. Number the letters in order from 1 to 10. Dedicate another letter to mean 'repeat', such as X.

Now you can scratch out the CCV 3 letters on the rear and write those letters in numbers, using your algorithm, with a Sharpie (or scratch them in).

So: Lets say you use the word 'Algorithms' and your CCV number is 447. You'd write OXT on the back of the Credit card. You'd be able to figure out the numbers easily, but a thief would be high and dry.


Excellent idea. Thanks
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just remember the 3 numbers.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
That would be the easy solution, but I have several cards, sometimes they change, plus my memory ain't squat. Algorithms are your friend.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I read in a Dan Brown book (I think it was fortress) where this army of computer techies are trying to find a password. They are looking for a long and drawn out series of numbers and letters with no logic to help them find the answer. Turns out the password is "3"
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
I just remember the 3 numbers.


That will never work.
Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I can remember 4 but not 3
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2016, jay leslie wrote:
I can remember 4 but not 3


The obvious solution then is to take your 3 digit code and multiply it by 9. Assuming the security code is larger than 111, you'll have a four-digit number. Then all you have to do is divide that by 9 when you want to retrieve the code. Smile

For myself, I can only remember 17 digit numbers, and I'll tell you, the division is brutal.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2016, jay leslie wrote:
I can remember 4 but not 3


The obvious solution then is to take your 3 digit code and multiply it by 9. Assuming the security code is larger than 111, you'll have a four-digit number. Then all you have to do is divide that by 9 when you want to retrieve the code. Smile

For myself, I can only remember 17 digit numbers, and I'll tell you, the division is brutal.

Quote:
On Mar 27, 2016, jay leslie wrote:
I can remember 4 but not 3

He said sarcastically.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Password stupidity. (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL