The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Optimal set lengths for stand up (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I know many of you have a shorter and a longer set. I've heard 15/45 from lots of folks.

Given the opportunity to go on as long as you like, what do you feel is the optimal length for an act? Let's assume you're a good performer and you are connecting well and entertaining the audience.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
I've been doing standup for a living going on 35 years. The length of your set completely depends on how you were booked. If it's a private party, yes, 45 minutes is about right. But again, it depends how much time you're contracted for. The standard comedy club (booked and paid) show consists of 3 acts- an emcee, who does about 10-20 minutes, breaking up his material between introducing acts. The middle, or feature act, usually does anywhere from 25-30. The headliner will do about 45-60. If it's a name act who can put a@@es in the seats, he/she may do more.

Then there are the showcase clubs. Many people don't understand that the two places a comic CAN'T make a living, are in NYC and LA. The Improv, The Comedy Store in LA- Comic Strip Live, The Comedy Cellar, Stand-Up NY, etc. are showcase clubs, where there are usually 8-15 comics on the bill, each doing only 6-12 minute sets. These clubs basically pay you a nominal appearance fee, but it's a privilege just to get stage-time there, because that's where the television and film industry goes to scout comics. Most of those line-ups, in fact, have a number of well-known comics on the show. Performing for very little.

Long story short, (and let's be honest, it's far too late for that), the length of your set is completely situational.

BTW, I've used the word for decades, but when it came to stand-up comedy, Buddy Hackett hated the term "sets". He used to say, "Musicians do 'sets'. Comics do 'shows."
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, Last Laugh wrote:
I know many of you have a shorter and a longer set. I've heard 15/45 from lots of folks.

Given the opportunity to go on as long as you like, what do you feel is the optimal length for an act? Let's assume you're a good performer and you are connecting well and entertaining the audience.

Assuming ur connecting as you say and you are doing your regular set---if you go longer two things can happen 1) you continue to connect or 2) things go downhill. I would rather leave them wanting more than risking to go longer when I have already connected. Good thread
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, gabelson wrote:
BTW, I've used the word for decades, but when it came to stand-up comedy, Buddy Hackett hated the term "sets". He used to say, "Musicians do 'sets'. Comics do 'shows."

Yeah, I've always agreed with this as well.

I have 60, 75 and 90 mi9nute shows. 60 & 75 are my norm, but again it depends on your markets and venues. When I do comedy clubs I get all three, emcee, feature and headliner spots usually, occasionally there will be am emcee and I'll do the rest, he'll just warn up and make some final announcement as a close..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Optimal set lengths for stand up (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL