The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magician of the Year by the International Magicians Society (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Do I congratulate someone that won this, offer them my condolences, or ask how much it cost?

Is it just the Merlin that's bought, or is everything they award pay-per-trophy?
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
To make the trophy seem somewhat "legitimate" - over the years a few freebees have been awarded to DC, P&T, and S&R - so purchasers can infer on their websites / publicity that they've achieved the same artistic merit and success as those famous few who also "won" the statuette.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
They will come to one of your shows and award you the title publicly, supposedly lending credence to the award, but you have to pay their way. So basically...you get what you pay for.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Thanks for the replies. I thought it was pay-per-trophy for all of them, but was surprised by someone that received the Magician of the Year award since I didn't think the recipient would do that.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
You should laugh at them.

If they paid for it, they got ripped off -- they could have a family member invent an award and bestow it on them for free.

If they didn't pay for it and didn't refuse it, they place themselves in the company of low-grade hacks who pay for it.

The Merlins are practically magic's version of "Who's Who Among American High School Students" -- the joke of an "honor" that comes with a price tag attached.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
As are many of you, I am friends with several recipients. In nearly every case, they consider it (internally) as a joke and a farce.

However, from a professional perspective they treat it as a valued marketing and promotional tool. Most insiders know that the trophy has no real intrinsic or honorific value - but, the lay audience is blissfully unaware of this. The resulting news coverage and future "bragging rights" before lay audiences and media is high. I choose to ignore the topic when it comes up. I refuse to cover the presentations for the publications I write for. But, when asked about it by a member of the lay community, I speak well of it on behalf of the art.

What we say to one another within the art is one thing. Before the lay public, however, whether it concerns a particular magician, organization, or performance, we should present a united, positive, and supportive face - Even with something as utterly ridiculous as "The Merlin" and the for-profit so-called International Magicians Society. Just my opinion.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, Skip Way wrote:
Most insiders know that the trophy has no real intrinsic or honorific value - but, the lay audience is blissfully unaware of this.

Alas, those professionals appear blissfully unaware that Google exists and the lay audience can easily learn that the Merlin "Awards" are fake awards available for purchase.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Criss Angel has 5 of them. Did he pay? Did Copperfield pay? Can you name anyone who paid? Just name one. I'm not saying they didn't ... But to prove your point you should have some evidence.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Do you actually believe that all the people who paid for it are going to admit to it? It is the great unspoken truth. The first rule of soliciting a "Merlin" is not talking about soliciting a Merlin.
Ray Pierce
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, Skip Way wrote:
Most insiders know that the trophy has no real intrinsic or honorific value - but, the lay audience is blissfully unaware of this.

Alas, those professionals appear blissfully unaware that Google exists and the lay audience can easily learn that the Merlin "Awards" are fake awards available for purchase.

Google the Merlin Awards?? Someone seems blissfully unaware that the lay public doesn't give a s***.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2016, Ray Pierce wrote:
Do you actually believe that all the people who paid for it are going to admit to it? It is the great unspoken truth. The first rule of soliciting a "Merlin" is not talking about soliciting a Merlin.

Hey Ray, if you don't want to talk about soliciting a Merlin let me tell you about this awesome new club I just joined. I was 10 minutes late for my first night, so I missed them reading the rules, but man is it fun!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Unless you've been pulling a Rip Van Winkle .... These awards are for promotion with the public. They aren't designed to impress fellow magicians.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Is this similar to our Millennial Generation and their intrinsic need for "Participation Trophies". Who is keeping score anyway? Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I think that when an award is earned it is a source of pride and worthy of respect. Bought, it is a source of shame and worthy of derision.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Houdini bestowed all kinds of awards on himself. He made them up almost every week with his challenges. Virtually all of them fixed or rigged. It worked for him, although many magicians despised him. It's something for the consumer. Nothing more.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
I can't see why anyone should feel shame, as suggested above. It's probably a pretty good marketing tool. Even with newspapers heading toward obsolescence, there are certainly ways to make it work. I'm pretty sure that "recipients" aren't going to brag to fellow magicians about it. Everyone on the inside is on the same page, but I can see real value to it when presented to the ticket-buying public.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It's shameful because it disrespects legitimate awards that other performers have received in true recognition of their abilities. It's also fraudulent if your intent is to deceive potential bookers.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On May 9, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:
It's shameful because it disrespects legitimate awards that other performers have received in true recognition of their abilities. It's also fraudulent if your intent is to deceive potential bookers.

Those two points are very well taken, although I can't really think of ANY magic-related awards that have never had their legitimacy questioned. I do enjoy thinking that, as a group, we do generally set our moral standards pretty high. That in itself is interesting considering that any success in the field is almost entirely dependent upon deception. Of course, a favorable (or interesting) personality added to the mix doesn't hurt.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Of course magic is based on deception. But I don't think that includes misleading potential clients about your credentials.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
But magic sellers mislead potential clients about their products, don't they?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magician of the Year by the International Magicians Society (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL