The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wayne Houchin LIVE: Sunday Mar 27th @7:00pm Eastern. (Penguin LIVE) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
Wayne Houchin LIVE: Sunday Mar 27th @7:00pm Eastern. (Penguin LIVE) Learn stunning illusions and baffling effects from this masterful con-man, street magician, and daredevil! SUPPORT LIVE MAGIC.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6661

"I loved it and envy Houchin’s creative mind." - Scott Wells

"What wonderful, intelligent and emotionally charged magic that is well conceived, well presented and well taught. What a great evening!" - Marc DeSouza​

"All of Houchin’s effects have been honed to take full advantage of the moment ­ and to leave the spectator feeling they had experienced something truly special. This lecture will leave your members thinking and talking about it." - Don Deich​ "Vlad", Vice President Ring 248

What will he teach?

Strange Ideas​ is the new presentation from Wayne Houchin whose work as a performance artist, magician, and dare­devil has made him one of the most popular mystery entertainers in the world. Part performance and part lecture, ​Strange Ideas​ features a variety of new magic and surprising variations from the creator of Sinful: The Signed Coin in Can, French Kiss, Thread, Stigmata, Counterfeit (torn & restored card), and Ultragaff. You will learn magic with needles, string, a helium balloon, dollar bills, cards, and more. Houchin’s magic is powerful and practical and is suitable for both close up and parlour style performances.

A Single Needle

Helium

The Drawing to Impossible Location

The Transposition of a Torn Bill

Thread

and more!
Who is he?
Wayne Houchin has been described as equal parts con-man, street magician, and daredevil. In 1999 he made headlines when he successfully escaped from a strait-jacket while hanging 50 feet above a crowded intersection - he was 16 years old. Houchin's work as a performance artist, magician and daredevil has made him one of the most popular and exciting mystery entertainers in the world. Houchin designs his own magic illusions and stunts. His original illusions have captured the imagination of magicians and audiences alike. David Blaine, Criss Angle, Dynamo and many other magicians perform magic that Houchin created. His acclaimed performance and lecture tour has taken him to more than 30 countries. He has appeared on NBC's Today Show, headlined the world-famous Magic Castle in Hollywood, made history in the Dominican Republic by stopping time during a live nationally televised stunt, and has been a guest speaker at Trinity College's Science Gallery.

Houchin currently stars in the Discovery Channel's Breaking Magic / Magic of Science which has been watched by more than 100 million people worldwide.Wayne Houchin has traveled the world, exploring mystery and sharing magic in more than 30 countries. He was a guest speaker on magic, science, and illusion at Trinity College in Ireland and Oxford University in England. His TV series ​Breaking Magic: The Magic of Science​ aired on the Discovery Channel and was watched by more than 100 million people in 224 countries.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Sunny Orlando
888 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
He did a really similar lecture when he was here in Orlando, and it was easily one of the best lectures I've ever seen! I highly recommend this one
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Wayne Houchin is one of that rare breed where the hype is justified.

I've bought a few of his effects in the past and found them workers and him a confident and assured teacher.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10527 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Wayne is one of the very best and I'm glad to see that he's back in form after his scary accident some years ago.

Looking forward to seeing this!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=36
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Thanks for the heads up / recommendation, guys. I'm watching Wayne's lecture now and am really enjoying it.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
ArtIn
View Profile
Special user
Berlin
920 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Outstanding Lecture!
trickyat86
View Profile
Loyal user
Pittsburgh, PA
273 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Such a good lecture. Love the balloon effect, it's a practical version of a balloon effect detailed in art of astonishment.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10527 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Wayne pretty much invented geek magic.

He's the coolest geek I know.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4248 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Really loved the lecture, can see myself using a few things off this.

The updated handling of the bill transpo is something I'll use for stand up.

The drawing to impossible location is lovely.

Helium made me giddy.

His advice on silence is powerful.

He sure knows how to pack flat and play big.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Great lecture!
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1789 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Great lecture. Its clear Houchin has really worked everything he did. Sadly that cant be said from most of the recent Penguin lectures...
fireisyummy
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
I used to be a regular Penguin LIVE subscriber but this is actually the first LIVE lecture I bought in about a year (not including the Scott Alexander one that penguin generously gave away free). At some point I decided I had so many lectures I hadn't gotten around to watching and the At The Table series was almost as good for way cheaper and the Tarbell series was giving me tons of great material regularly also for really cheap, so it just didn't make sense to stay subscribed.

However, when I saw that Wayne was going to teach Thread and A Single Needle, both of which were on my shopping list for a while, I realized I had no choice but to buy this one, and wow am I glad I did.

Wayne has a very unique style. I love it. Its not my style at all, but maybe it should be. I will try toning down my energy a little and talking to the audience more and seeing how that works out. Also, his magic is so squeaky clean. There's nothing funny, no awkward movements, nothing to hide. Every little movement, every sentence, every everything has been clearly thought out. I think Luke Jermay is the only other lecturer I have ever seen give so much thought and attention to every single aspect of every trick. It really makes the trick so much more performance ready. I'd like to not have to learn from my mistakes when I can learn from mistakes of someone else who already made those mistakes. It hurts to mess up, why would anyone want to?

That dollar bill trick is awesome. It will definitely go into my show at some point. I need to make it fit my style and I need to get the material he uses. The two more common items he used to use don't work that well, I see why he stopped using them. But wow, that's a great trick.

The post it note trick is a good trick but there's something about it that bothers me. I have to put my finger on it and then I may use it in a different form. For now I'm keeping the brilliance behind it in the back of my mind as its a clever idea that may be useful in creating something totally different.

The thread out of the eye trick, wow, just wow. Perfect. As soon as I make it fit my style it will be in my show.

The helium balloon trick, interesting. Not my thing, and seems too short. May be useful as part of a longer trick.

The coin in soda can is so well thought out. Every little motion has been worked out so it looks perfect. It will take a long time to make it look so good. I would've liked to also get notes detailing every step as its hard to practice it along with him in the video.

A single needle is perfect. Every little bit has been thought through and perfected. However, it only uses one needle. At the same time the Tarbell lesson that came out that Friday taught needle swallowing with much more needles. Its a tough call. I'm really torn. There's also a bonus method for doing the trick with toothpicks if you pay attention. I may end up learning both and performing both until I learn which one gets better reactions.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2016, saysold1 wrote:

Wow.

Learn some history.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2016, saysold1 wrote:

Wow.

Learn some history.

Um, I think that was supposed to be a joke...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wayne Houchin LIVE: Sunday Mar 27th @7:00pm Eastern. (Penguin LIVE) (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL