The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Stage mat for manipulation (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Akmal Magication
View Profile
New user
Brunei
76 Posts

Profile of Akmal Magication
Hello fellow magician,

anyone know what is the best type of mat materials to use for stage manipulation? that is light & easy to travel with & also non-slip. so that when you drop your cards it won't get dirty & easy to clean up after your finished performing.

anyone have any idea?
"Imagination & Knowledge is a tools for creativity"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5016 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Not really an idea but a question. If you are doing stage manipulation, why would you need a mat? Are you looking for something to put on the stage floor? I've never seen anyone use a mat on the floor when doing card productions.
Where the magic begins
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Dave, I have! When I was working at Caesar's Magical Empire where there were multiple acts on the show and the turnaround between performers was minimal, the stage crew had a 6 x8' piece of carpeting that was placed on the floor so that the next performer would have clean stage. The carpet was dragged to the large wing area and then the performer who dropped the cards could pick them up at their leisure.

it makes perfect sense in today's working environment. If you want to see an angry crew on a cruise ship... tell them they have to clean salt, liquid, and playing cards off the floor! It is not unlike the piece of carpet that Marvyn Roy used to travel with so that when he did the milk in the lightbulb, he left no mess on the floor for the dancers who came on after him... immediately. In a professional working situation, such as a Vegas Revue they don't have time for the crew to pick up cards individually.

Depending on how much of a mess the OP makes, would determine the rug's area. I would look at rubber backed carpets from inexpensive places such as Walmart, etc; they will be less thick and roll up easier.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22175 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Scott Alexander says and showed how he used a automobile window sun shield to catch the salt for the long salt pour. It was one of those twist and fold shields that pop open.

Taking that to a larger area, I can only think of a Pop Up Tent. Just take the tent off and keep the floor to the tent in tack. They twist and collapse up very small.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
If you've ever seen Rocco perform you will know what kind of a mess he makes.
At our SAM assembly lecture we were prepared for Rocco.
Rocco works with ice cream, cigarettes, glitter, liquids, popcorn, peanuts, snowstorms, etc.
A lot of this ends up on the floor.
We put up a 8 x 10 painters canvas tarp. The thin one.
It was light weight, folded up small and kept the floor clean.
Pirouz
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
I think it's called a drop cloth.
Pirouz
Akmal Magication
View Profile
New user
Brunei
76 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 24, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Scott Alexander says and showed how he used a automobile window sun shield to catch the salt for the long salt pour. It was one of those twist and fold shields that pop open.

Taking that to a larger area, I can only think of a Pop Up Tent. Just take the tent off and keep the floor to the tent in tack. They twist and collapse up very small.

Great idea, that can be useful for performing my indoor magic.
Akmal Magication
View Profile
New user
Brunei
76 Posts

Anyone know where can I find something similar like attached picture?

Click here to view attached image.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
It looks like two pieces of a three foot carpet runner , that was probably taped together on the underside with carpet tape. Then it was cut into a circle.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5016 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, JNeal wrote:
Dave, I have! When I was working at Caesar's Magical Empire where there were multiple acts on the show and the turnaround between performers was minimal, the stage crew had a 6 x8' piece of carpeting that was placed on the floor so that the next performer would have clean stage. The carpet was dragged to the large wing area and then the performer who dropped the cards could pick them up at their leisure.

it makes perfect sense in today's working environment. If you want to see an angry crew on a cruise ship... tell them they have to clean salt, liquid, and playing cards off the floor! It is not unlike the piece of carpet that Marvyn Roy used to travel with so that when he did the milk in the lightbulb, he left no mess on the floor for the dancers who came on after him... immediately. In a professional working situation, such as a Vegas Revue they don't have time for the crew to pick up cards individually.

Depending on how much of a mess the OP makes, would determine the rug's area. I would look at rubber backed carpets from inexpensive places such as Walmart, etc; they will be less thick and roll up easier.

That makes sense. As I posted, I've never seen it but that didn't mean it didn't exist. I wasn't thinking about anything other than cards based on the OP's description of what he wanted.
Where the magic begins
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Dave you are right... he didn't mention anything other than cards. But have you noticed how card manipulation acts have gone into 'overdrive' in the last few years?

I used to watch Norm Nielsen catching his cards in the net attached to his table... rarely did one actually hit the floor. In those days, guys often dropped the crds into a top hat! Then during Lance Burton's generation, card manipulation became more physical, with turns and pivots by the performer and cards landed more often than not... on the floor.

And now with the Asian magicians of the last two FISM generations... Cards are in abundance: in the air, on the floor, cascading everywhere... wonderful displays! (and a nuisance to clean up.)
visit me @ JNealShow.com
sam2452
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of sam2452
Akmal Magication
View Profile
New user
Brunei
76 Posts

Wow! nice one sam2452, I think I probably getting that. Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Jar Marshall told me the old time vaudeville act would advertise..."Coming East with all new drop cloths". It was a necessity in vaudeville. David and Dania use one all the time. Can you imagine if a multi million dollar contract basketball player slipped on a piece of their mylar confetti. I have also notice a lot of the Asian card maniipulator (tossers) using them. Like Dennis Haney said...."I don't know why they put a hat on stage...not one *** card go it!".
The type of material you use depends on shat you are doing on the cloth. I used to use a 6 x 6 black square for my salt pour so I could clean up. But if I were using it the whole act and moving on it, I would have needed something than would not slip or move. I now some guys use a marlee (sp) surface used for dancing on the floor.
As a stage manager, I tell the younger performers when I critic things for them. You need to go clean and quickly and come off the same way. It is simple respect for the other acts and the theater or house you are playing in.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Akmal Magication
View Profile
New user
Brunei
76 Posts

I use top hat in my card manipulation act also, but not all the card get in there. because I think some move & body posture I need to drop the card on the floor , it seems to me like it is more artistic.. I don't know.. but for top hat is where I can get my next load of card.

& btw, Thanks for your Bare hand silk production Mr. Hughes! I use it for my act also. it is quite helpful.. nothing compare with my previous bare hand silk production, where I sometime pre-maturely release the trigger.. huh..

Your's the ace for Bare hand silk production! Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Stage mat for manipulation (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL