The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tommy Wonder cup routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
I've heard so much about Tommy wonder's two cup routine, I was just wondering if someone could give me a play by play of the effect. I've just ordered tommy's videos and am looking forward to seeing it. Thanx.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
He takes two cups out of a bag and the surprises begin.

You would not be happy about any spoilers on this routine. Enjoy!!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Watch the performance several times before you go to the "how to" part. Enjoy the Magic.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
Play by play?! Good things come to those who wait.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I agree with Pete. I had the DvD for about a month before I even tried to watch the explanation. It was a true "magic moment" that I don't get too often anymore. Amazing.
JeremiahZuo
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of JeremiahZuo
The Dvd doesn't even come close to capturing it in a live performance, but nontheless it is still an amazing. It remains to this day my favorite piece in magic.

Although you may never perform the actual routine, the ideas and techinques throughout it are gold. He really is a modern genius.
Joshua 24:15
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I recently watched Tommy do it, live, while being taped for a Japanese TV show. And, because it was a taping, they had him do it several times so they could shoot different angles.

It was great fun to watch the first couple of times the camera crew had NO IDEA where the loads came from.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
alex cahill
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of alex cahill
Loving it. been doing it ages. fantasic
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Tommy's routine is one of the very best.

It is good to see that no one has given a description of the routine here as that would realy ruin the supprize of it plus no one could do it justice by describing it here anyhow. The best writter in the world couldn't even do that.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Oh yeah, I was also there watching Wonder do it live in the first row.

The amazing thing was on the second and third take, you were still fooled!!!!

You knew what to expect, but the misdirection and his handling make it invisible.

I also managed to see the stage show where Wonder Performed, and his stage cups and balls were REALLY good imho too.

Tommy Wonder is a great performer... if you got the tape with the cups and balls, be sure to check out the tamed card routine, wild card plot. It was really amazing to see it close-up and have no idea how all of it was done.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
I had the most magical experience of my life watching Tommy Wonder perform this routine. Here's why:
I had read his complete description, including the methods and moments, in detail just a few months prior. From the written word, I knew what was supposed to happen and when. To be perfectly honest, I didn't believe it would work! I just didn't think he could get away with it! The first item, maybe, but both (you know what I'm talking about)! Impossible! I knew I'd see it. I knew exactly what to look for.
You know what? He fooled me, completely! I never saw him do anything out of the ordinary. The items were just where they were supposed to be and I had no idea how they got there! I may actually have used a naughty word when he started to reveal them! Tommy Wonder is a master of timing, misdirection, and naturalness.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Has anyone reading this ever tried to make the balls he describes in his book? I did and could not get the ball right. I see no reason a m rope gimmick (or a m earring from wal-mart) wouldn't work with another type of a tassel. Anyway, the real work is the incredible misdirection. I though M. Ammar was incredible with his third ball appearing on top of the cup-but Tommy Wonder's entire routine is a lesson in directing audience attention where you want it.
David Lewis
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I'm still convinced that this is truly a "magician's routine" and not as strong for lay audiences. I performed this for quite a while before I realized this. The audience in the DVD reacted very strongly to this routine exactly because they have seen so much magic (their eyes must bleed double-lifts). That said, it is a very cool routine. I have the necessary props for this made up (and yes, this will be difficult to do - I suggest going direct to a seamstress-type person who can whip this out in no time). I am convinced by watching the "explanation" on the DVD that there is no way you could learn this without reading the book (the best way, in my opinion). Tommy mostly explains the misdirection in the routine (on the DVD) more than the actual mechanics of the trick. Also, he breezes by the construction of the bag, ball and tassel ball. This is the kind of trick where you must go to the book, and that's a good thing.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Still, is there any other close up routine in magic that is as talked about or revered? Honestly. The cups and balls is the one trick that is a classic and everyone laymen and magicians alike have seen some version. Tommy Wonder takes the premise and he literally beats you over the head with it many times in a row and you love him for it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Okay, did Donnie see the routine?
Have folks gone to town with the bag and pom pop?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Funny , I can say I did learn the routine from his first book Tommy Wonder Entertains. The misdirection part is a little bit like learning a watchsteal. You have to do it with real live spectators to get it right. Getting away with it is like getting into a new kind of "awareness" in magic. It's unbelievable.

To second Dan Harlan's story. I actually performed the trick (though years ago) when Tommy lectured last year at our club he choose me as a spectator for the C & B. I still remember my collegues roaring with laughter when I missed the moments...

I doubt a magnetic fastener will work right. The pompom is detached in advance to make the steal easier when time comes. A magnetic fastener can not be detached without popping back or leaving a wide space between string and pompom.

Pete, where exactly did you see the performance for the japanese TV?
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
This year at the Teen Weekend at the WMS.

Max Maven, Eugene Burger and Tommy Wonder all did some effects for japanese TV at Jeff McBride's Magic Dome(Correct Name?) at his place in Las Vegas.

Was very cool!!!
Automark
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Automark
I was sitting in the volunteers seat when I first seen it. It was also my first Convention experience. It is also my fondest memory. And the Final load .... ****ed me off! It was awesome! I have issues with some of Tommmy's stuff but nothing with his Cups ... great stuff.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The really beautiful aspects of Tommy Wonder's routine (as with many of his effects) is that it is very difficult to imitate. A lot of work will have to be invested in creating the props necessary to make the routine work As a result, the routine can be appreciated by many but imitated by only a few.

The real Art, however, comes in Tommy Wonder's ability to manage the spectator's attention. There is a real sense of maturity and understanding being displayed in this routine. I have his routine on Visions of Wonder and I never get tired of watching it!
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
So has Donnie seen this yet? I can't wait to find out!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tommy Wonder cup routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL