The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dime and Penny quality (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
I was wondering what people knew about the quality of Hampton Ridges Dime and Penny set. This is because one of the reviews on Penguin Magic's web site said that the penny loses its colour after only a few performances. Does anyone know anything about this?
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
It was my beleif that Penguin sold the Sterling D & P. However, I could be wrong. Save yourself the aggravation and get a Johnson D & P. You'll pay a few bucks more, but the quality is worth it.

http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/johnson.html

Howard sells it for $15, which is pretty much a standard price so far as I've seen.
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6881 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Also check out David Acer's "Spare Change" for a new spin on D & P.

Doug
jli
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
86 Posts

Profile of jli
I second Wildstone on Johnson's set. You'll be paying more, but it is an excellent investment. The one sold on Penguin (Sterling, btw) feels like it's made of aluminum, and will severly loosen and discolor, actually blackens, over a short period of time (2 weeks for me). Also, it screams out "fake coin", as it looks like one.
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Can the same be said for all of Sterling's products? I know Johnson's gaffs are always of higher quality and, given the choice, I always go with them. However, I've been considering some of the gold Sacagawea coin effects and, as far as I can tell, Sterling is the only company that manufactures them. Should I just not bother? I have no desire to shell out (no pun intended) hundreds of dollars to Todd Lassen for a single effect.

Thanks, fellas.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I bought a Dime & Penny from a little gag shop near here for about $3. It was on a rack beside whoopie coushions and fake dog poop. I've been using it pretty steady for a few months and it seems to be holding up really well. I can't remember the brand, though. Still, best $3 bucks I have ever spent!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
The Miracle coin (gold dollar / quarter version of Coin Unique) isn't made by Sterling... is it? I don't think it is. And I've heard the quality of it is very good. That opens the door for many routines (matrix, vanishes, etc.) It's about $45, which isn't cheap.
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
You know I'd second the vote for "Spare Change" by Acer.
It's a great routine and something that you will always want to carry with you, wherever you go.

I believe Camirand still carries it as well as Hank Lee.
Not sure who else but it is currently available.

Take Care,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Thanks for the recommendation on Coin Unique, Mike. I was wondering if I should pick one up but a lot of times the actual product doesn't stand up to the description. (Quarter Flight, anybody?)

Anyway, I was referring to the gold dollar Scotch and Soda. I'd like to be able to do the ol' Scotch and Soda bit with coins indigenous coins. I think Sterling is the only company that makes a copy, and last time I checked, they were having such a hard time getting a hold of the gold dollars that they stopped making them. Anyone know if their version is any good or if anyone else makes a similar effect?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5765 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'll put in a third vote for "Spare Change". It's a great routine. I adapted it, a number of years ago, to a Johnson "Sun and Moon" coin set.
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Spare Change by David Acer is an awesome piece of 'impromptu magic'. Anyone know where one can purchase just the 'special something' without another set of instructions?!?
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Back to the original Dime & Penny question for a minute. No question that the Johnson version is well made, with a neatly designed brass bang ring to boot.

However, I've found that the Royal Magic version, which retails for about $5, is just as good. Although it doesn't lock quite as tightly as the Johnson set, it's still more than adequate and that fact isn't crucial in my opinion, since I doubt you'd want to give it out for examination anyway. Additionally, it can be reset without using a bang ring, which is an advantage for table strollers or pitchmen.

I've been using and selling the Royal set for several months now and am very pleased with the quality and the durability. I looked at a few different sources for the set and am happy that I chose to go with Royal. Incidentally, both the Royal and the Hampton Ridge (HR) lines are sold by Fun, Inc. out of Chicago. I believe the HR line is their middle-priced line. I'm not sure what type of Dime & Penny set HR offers or what it costs, but I believe you'd be very satisfied with the Royal version. At that price, you can buy two Royal sets, have a spare on hand, and still spend less than the Johnson version would cost. (I'm not knocking the Johnson set, in fact I own one and it's great. But for everyday use, the Royal set is very good.)

You can get the Royal Magic set from Magic Warehouse, which sells the Johnson set, too. See http://themagicwarehouse.com/coins.html#co1240. Magic Warehouse also sells a Royal DVD for about $10, "25 Tricks with a Dime & Penny or a Scotch & Soda." This is well worth the money and actually has a number of very clever ideas for combining the coin set with some well-known sleights that are also taught on the DVD. Good Luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
352 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Spare Change. I love this trick, goes over very well. I got mine around six months ago and have had some very good luck with this ever since. I picked it up from The Magic Warehouse for around $14 and since I use it and really love it, it was well worth the price.

Rudy
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I got D & P not long ago from Penguin, and what I got was the Royal Magic version. The S**** discolored very quickly, causing uneven front/back coloring on the penny. I cleaned it up once with a couple of drops of lemon juice and a buff, but the discoloration reappeared almost immediately.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Foucault -- Sorry to hear about the discoloring on your D/P set. I'm wondering --my set isn't discolored (it's not tarnished), but it is "dirty," like a regular penny might be, and it's evenly dirty on both sides.

I have never tried to clean it up, since my own thinking is that shiny money does not look as natural as regular circulated coins, especially if you're using gaffed coins. But I've never had the tarnishing problem that you describe.

Have you contacted Penguin or Royal about this problem? Might be worth an e-mail. SETH
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
If the tarnishing looked natural and even, I wouldn't bother about it either, but it doesn't look like a real penny at the moment.

Looking at reviews, etc., it seems that some people have problems with the tarnishing and some do not. This leads me to think that either the product is inconsistent, or there's something about certain body chemistry that results in this. But you're right, I should contact Penguin about it.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
By the way, I had always assumed that the penny in a D/P set was actually made from a real penny. If that's true, then the copper exterior should hold up just like a real penny would (I believe that real pennies today aren't solid copper, which would be too expensive; I think they are just copper coated). On the other hand, if the penny is specially made up from aluminium or some other metal, then it wouldn't perform like a real penny over the long haul.

Perhaps a few gaffed coin experts can chime in here and help to solve this mystery? SETH
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The coin set, an invention of T. Nelson Downs was made from real US coins last I saw. Also a tiny verision of the Sun/Moon if you like that trick. Anyone gotten a set of Slippery Sams made this way?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
352 Posts

Profile of Rudy
I also recommend Spare Change. I did this for the first time the other night and it went over very well. I picked this up because of the recommendations here at the Café and I'm glad I did. I deffinately had some fun performing this coin routine.

Rudy
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5765 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-08-22 13:06, Barrett_James wrote:
Spare Change by David Acer is an awesome piece of 'impromptu magic'. Anyone know where one can purchase just the 'special something' without another set of instructions?!?

You're looking for a Non-locking Dime and Penny set. If Johnson products makes one, I'd get that. I avoid the cheaper sets like the plague.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dime and Penny quality (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL