The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » In the Middle by Mark Mason (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3541 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, Jerskin wrote:
I've been looking for a monte to learn.

I have a number of Mark Mason items and really love them...

However, I don't care for this. You can't hand out the cards, and they are not going to last very long.

If you want a really good monte where you could can make the set yourself, you should check out Piccadilly Square by Paul Gordon.

KJ
3piecesweet
View Profile
New user
UK
32 Posts

Profile of 3piecesweet
Assume you mean 'Corner of Piccadilly', it's a great monte but I think you need to be wearing a jacket which has always put me off.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3281 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2016, 3piecesweet wrote:
Assume you mean 'Corner of Piccadilly', it's a great monte but I think you need to be wearing a jacket which has always put me off.

Never liked the corner of Piccadilly as if I am right it uses 4 cards and a monte should only use 3 and you have to use your top pocket .
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4349 Posts

Profile of videoman
Still prefer Garrett Thomas's Stand Up Monte.
Has the wow factor of a gaff but you end clean, and nothing to break or wear out other than normal card usage.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3541 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2016, 3piecesweet wrote:

Yes, corner of Piccadilly. And, yes, it requires a breast pocket, either shirt or jacket.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2623 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I always use Skinners Monte it's in my wallet in fact I have at least 4 sets of the cards . I really like this one for the visual ! looks like a lot of fun nice way to end with the money card the queen in the pocket between the bill. Does anyone know if it's delicate ? or made sturdy ?
Thanks,
Jeffrey
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
This kind of products will spoil eventually with constant use , even if it's made well . Maybe I'll get it for casual performances , but definitely not for table hopping ... I don't know when this is suddenly going to break .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Going to Magi-Whirl in DC tonight, and I think Mason is going to be there. I've vowed not to purchase anything at this convention, but looking forward to watching some of his demos, including this. Looking at the video, I wonder whether the complete disappearance of the money card at the end points to the method a bit. But then you could always have it "reappear" somewhere else.

Similarly, that's what happens with Gaetan Bloom's escorial Monte.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

You can start by showing 4 cards, 3 nine of spades, 1 jack of diamonds, and hand out one face down card (the jack of diamonds), and then you show in your hands there are three cards, two nine of spades and one jack of diamonds (which is the gimmicked card, attached to a nine of spades). You put them face down, mix them, and allow them to pick the jack. If you do it right (i.e., you put the gimmicked card on top of the face-up pile of three cards when showing them, before mixing the cards face down) the card they pick can't be the gimmicked one. I like this version since it allows the spectator to touch the cards multiple times, and giving them the impression that all the cards are normal. At the end, you reveal they couldn't win since all the three cards are nine, and the cards they were holding at the beginning was in fact the jack of diamonds.

For what I guessed about "In the Middle", it would be difficult to find a way to let the spectators touch the cards. Still, I'm interested in the trick. Seems funny to play with. I wonder if you can do the final routine as in Bloom's Escorial monte, where the money card switches place with one of the other 3 normal cards. In my opinion, an effect which a card appears out of nowhere is less impressive than an effect which two cards switch places without being in contact.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2603 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Re: Corner of Piccadilly and the fact that "you have to wear a jacket/shirt with a breast pocket".

Really?

Has nobody ever heard of trouser/jeans/shorts pockets?

Seriously guys, some of the 'advice' bestowed upon the community on here is truly laughable at times. Smile
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
(20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005)

R.I.P. mate. Thank you for making me an entertainer. I miss you.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3281 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It's a poor mans monty Merc Man everybody knows it , Paul tries to sell it to the cows come home at conventions but real corporate workers walk by him and say alright Paul not to offend but it's not a great version for a A1 set you know it as does any real proper pro IMO
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2603 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
My comment wasn't aimed at the workability of the trick Tarik - I don't perform it.

As far as 'monte' style tricks are concerned, I've ALWAYS performed Joe Riding's 'Irish Three Card Trick with Four Cards' with Jumbo's. It's been around since 1972, was Ken Brooke's best ever selling item, Fred Kaps added subtleties to it and it's has been ripped-off by countless dealers over the past 40+ years. Maybe you're going to tell me that isn't a worker either?

The point I was actually making, that appears to have gone over your head, is that the card switch required in Corner of Piccadilly does NOT, as stated above, need a jacket or shirt with breast pocket, to perform - despite that's how Paul Gordon dems it. You can, quite obviously, also uses a trouser pocket. It doesn't need someone to think that far outside of the box, surely?
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
(20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005)

R.I.P. mate. Thank you for making me an entertainer. I miss you.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3281 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Good points Merc Man I see what you are saying now 😊
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland! Back home and Thrilled!
1056 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Going to Magi-Whirl in DC tonight, and I think Mason is going to be there. I've vowed not to purchase anything at this convention, but looking forward to watching some of his demos, including this. Looking at the video, I wonder whether the complete disappearance of the money card at the end points to the method a bit. But then you could always have it "reappear" somewhere else.

Magi-Whirl
Wish I would have known.... Smile
I work at Ft. Belvoir, and could have easily gone...
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
The cards are extremely flimsy and have a "shine" to them, it doesn't mean they won't last, but they do look unusual, even to a lay audience. Perform the effect, put the cards away, then quickly move on to your next effect.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4349 Posts

Profile of videoman
I believe it does say in the ad copy that it uses Phoenix double deckers so the shine and thinness is to be expected.
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1052 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Quote:
It's a poor mans monty Merc Man everybody knows it , Paul tries to sell it to the cows come home at conventions but real corporate workers walk by him and say alright Paul not to offend but it's not a great version for a A1 set you know it as does any real proper pro IMO.

I'd strongly disagree, it is a well-routined piece of fractal card magic. Do you actually perform this trick? It is a "magician's monte", not a demo of the traditional short con, so there is no issue with using four cards. Done correctly, this consistently gets great reactions when I perform it.

I like the look of "In the Middle". However, as others have stated, when I have so many no-gaff monte routines in my bag of tricks (this even includes one that has a similar vanish that relies on an optical principle, not a gaff), I can't really justify buying one that will get dirty with use and wear out.

Still, the magic junkie inside me wants it!
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1717 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2016, videoman wrote:
I believe it does say in the ad copy that it uses Phoenix double deckers so the shine and thinness is to be expected.

Plus he mentions on the DVD that they're plastic, and washable...as I look at the gimmicks, I think most laymen will not notice anything unusual...
I think, as magicians, sometimes we worry too much...
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3281 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2016, dooblehorn wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2016, videoman wrote:

Plus he mentions on the DVD that they're plastic, and washable...as I look at the gimmicks, I think most laymen will not notice anything unusual...

Absolutely double deckers all look like this and I have never been questioned with them . Yes have not bought Corner of Piccadilly but trust me have seen so many people walk past Pauls stand as he explains what a worker this is and I am talking about the top top corporate London boys and they look at each other smile and say really Paul ! That's the Gods honest truth its an alright effect but not great 😊
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1052 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Quote:

That's good news, might look at getting this end, as I love monte routines. If you can clean dirt spots off the cards, the trick will last a lot longer.

Quote:
Yes have not bought Corner of Piccadilly but trust me have seen so many people walk past Pauls stand as he explains what a worker this is and I am talking about the top top corporate London boys and they look at each other smile and say really Paul ! That's the Gods honest truth its an alright effect but not great 😊

I'll trust my own experience thanks, which tells me that this is a good trick for strolling situations. Is it the best packet trick ever? No, but just because a few pros don't like it (or don't like Paul's style/material in general, which is more likely the case) this doesn't automatically invalidate the fact that it is a good trick, with a solid structure, and surprising kicker ending. If you don't like it, then that's all good and well, but telling everyone else it's a bad trick when you haven't even performed it is misguided at best.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Here's Kyle Littleton with a review and a full performance of In the Middle

We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » In the Middle by Mark Mason (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL