The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Loser! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It depends on what you mean by "analogous effect." If an "analogous" effect is a physical irritation to people within a given radius, I agree that alcohol doesn't bring with it an analogous effect. However, you added an additional assumption - that the smoking be done in the presence of someone else.

If an "analogous" effect is "something that, given an additional assumption, is true of one drug but not the other" then it's somewhat analogous to say that smoking a tobacco product alone in your car doesn't dramatically increase the risk you pose to other people, but drinking alcohol does.

It's true, of course, that not alcohol consumption is followed by driving; it's also true that not all smoking is done in the presence of other people.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think that the best counter-argument to the "alcohol kills more people" argument is that to some extent, that's true specifically because alcohol is legal, and marijuana isn't, and that illegality acts as a deterrent. It will be interesting to see what happens in states that have decriminalized marijuana use (though it's still a federal crime in all 50 states). I suspect that the number of deaths due to impaired driving will rise.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
It depends on what you mean by "analogous effect."

I meant that others who are proximate can become intoxicated through no overt action on their part.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2016, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2016, Russell Davidson wrote:
I don't see pot smokers doing anyone any harm so how about those that don't do it just minding their own business and getting on with their own life.

Yes, I am a heavy user, have a good job, happy and most definitely not a loser!

Oh, and it's a better drug than alcohol. No debating that, it's the truth. I refer any doubters to familiarise themselves with the one & only Bill Hicks.

Yea nothing like adhering to a pot smoking comedian's philosophy. Are you serious? I would imagine you just finished indulging when you posted this.

Perhaps you'd had a few drinks before you posted this, but the logically appropriate rebuttal would have been to offer some concrete evidence to suggest that marijuana was a worse drug than alcohol.

Why? You would only disagree and dispute whatever evidence I presented. So I just bypassed that step. And no I did not have anything to drink before I posted other than water.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
First, I was being flippant. I didn't seriously mean to suggest that you'd been drinking; I was just paralleling your comment to Russell.

Second, I don't usually disagree with or dispute evidence; I do, however, often disagree with and/or dispute the interpretation of that evidence. Especially when people interpret scientific evidence in a way that directly contradicts the statements of the scientists who provided it.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Loser! (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL