The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite Beer (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
As I'm originally from Milwaukee, the land of Beer, and now in Colorado, home of the craft brewery, I indulge.

Right now I'm enjoying a Sierra Nevada "Bigfoot Ale" it's a barley wine with 9.6% alcohol content So as the haze begins as I sip on my second one, I began thinking of favorite beers...here's my top three...

ODELL brewery: 90 Schilling. An amber beer made in Colorado.

Victory brewery: Dirty Wolf IPA. Usually don't like IPAs, but got sold when I stopped in a small market store and a very attractive salesperson sold me on a 5 pack. Didn't realize there's east coast and west coast IPAs. This IPA has good flavor and quite a kick.

Sprecher brewery. Black Bavarian. Small brewery in Milwaukee. Great beer! But they don't sell much outside of Wisconsin, so don't get it much. Funny story...Randy Sprecher, the owner, likes to experiment. A few years back he made a few small batches of beer based on African beer recipes. One was sorghum based. The other was banana flavored. They were both the most horrible concoctions I ever tasted....

Honorable mention:

Firestone Walker brewery. Velvet Merlin Stout. I have had the pleasure of drinking Guinness Stout in Ireland's oldest bar. Hands down best beer I every had...but since it was a rarity, I don't list it. But recently I was at resturaunt that had Velvet Merlin on tap. It's an oatmeal stout that rivals Irish Guinness.

Any favorites? And recommendations?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1822 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I don't drink anymore, but when I used to, I liked Budweiser and St. Pauli Girl.

One thing I noticed was that Molsen beer purchased in the USA tasted like skunk. Whereas in Canada, it tasted much better, and caused a stronger buzz.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I drink primarily German hefeweizen.

There are many that I really like:
  • Ayinger
  • Weihenstephaner
  • Schneider Weisse
  • Franziskaner
  • Erdinger
  • And many others
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
There are probably some on this planet I like as much or more (for instance I also quite like many Belgian Trappist beers), but below are listed my special goto beers when they are available to me. Tasty, good memories, etc. Both brewing companies have nice brew pubs to boot:

1. Maui Brewing Co. Coconut Porter:

http://mauibrewingco.com/flagship-beer/

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16057/37795/ (BA score 89)

The Maui Brewing Co. Imperial Coconut Porter is even nicer, but much harder to find.

2. Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! Aphrodisiaque AKA Aphrodite:

http://dieuduciel.com/en/categories/bottled/

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1141/10330/ (BA score 93)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I only drink beer on hot summer days after working in the yard or working up a sweat. All I need is a nice cold one and on rare occasions, two. For me that's Corona Light with the lime. Sorry to disappoint. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
It depends on the time of year and if I've been working. When it's hot out here in Arizona, and especially after work, I lean toward lighter, Pilsner style brews. Golden Pheasant, Spaten, Warsteiner, Heineken, etc.

There's a local brewery here in Tucson called Barrio Brewing Company that makes one called Barrio Blonde that I like.

Never Budweiser. And really, none of the major American brewery beers. Although, Michelob Amber Bock isn't half bad.

Nothing with fruit in it.

Sometimes- when it's colder- I lean toward porters and stouts. Left Hand Milk Stout and Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout are both excellent. Sam Adams Cream Stout is a family favorite.

It only comes out seasonally, but one of my all time favorites is Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale.

I don't like to get drunk like when I was younger, but I've learned to appreciate a good brew.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Blanche de Chambly.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Grolsch (but only in the ceramic top bottles)
Beck's Sapphire (sometime hard to find around here, though)
Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat (makes great beer batter)
Heineken Dark (long time fav)
Old Rasputin (demonic possession in a bottle)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4860 Posts

Profile of landmark
Guinness.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, landmark wrote:

Guinness.

Guinness is what I normally drink. So I highly recommend the two beers I mentioned above to you. I mean, if we have a mutual liking of Guinness in common then maybe you'll like those other two as well. Especially the MBC Coconut Porter. Everyone I've introduced it to seems to love it. I was lucky enough to tour the MBC brewery in Maui a few months back. Good times.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4860 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks, I'll be on the lookout.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
842 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Utica Club. Simon Pure. Iroquois. Ballantine. Rheingold. Bear Whiz ("It's in the water!").
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
I love Dos Equis.

In college, Rolling Rock was THE beer.

When I lived in Germany, my favorite was Hannen Alt.

When I was stationed in the Sinai, we used to drink Heineken in cans at the Ditch club (never had seen that before). We called them Green Grenades.

The best beer I ever had was in the summer of 1974. I had been making out with Ann Young at a party for an hour. When we came up for air, I was so parched I grabbed a warm Budweiser. It was heaven in a bottle. (Memory might be clouded by the make out session with Ann Young.)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I second Balducci's suggestion od Aphrodisiaque. Dieu du Ciel makes some excellent beer.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, foolsnobody wrote:
Utica Club.

I've toured that brewery! I'm from upstate NY, born in Rome. My grandad liked Utica Club and Matt's.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
610 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Absolute Favorite:

You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Free Beer.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, landmark wrote:

Guinness.

Guinness is what I normally drink. So I highly recommend the two beers I mentioned above to you. I mean, if we have a mutual liking of Guinness in common then maybe you'll like those other two as well. Especially the MBC Coconut Porter. Everyone I've introduced it to seems to love it. I was lucky enough to tour the MBC brewery in Maui a few months back. Good times.

I was spoiled by being able to drink Guinness in Ireland. It ruined it for me back in the states. It's just nit the same. Big I can find a bar who knows how to pour it. I'll order a black & tan (Guinness and Harps Ale)
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2016, Mary Mowder wrote:
Free Beer.

Always the best..,
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17524 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/session-lager.cfm

I am sponsored by Sessions ... The bottle caps have Rock, Paper, Scissors on them so they are perfect for Roshambo ... The beer is quite good too, being from the Pacific Northwest with a climate similar to Germany.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite Beer (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL