The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite Beer (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5891 Posts

Profile of motown
North Peak Ballyhoo Hefeweizen

Sünner Kölsch from Cologne

Hoegaarden White Ale

Bell's Oberon
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
To be completely honest, I'm not picky.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5891 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:
I can see why, there's not a lot of good beer choices in Germany. Smile
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Guinness all the time. Nothing matches it.

Imgic, don't ask for a Black and Tan in an Irish pub - you might not escape with your life!
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
842 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Hey Mabel!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2016, motown wrote:
Quote:

Most bars in Germany have a house beer. When one orders a beer, the custom is to say, "I'd like a beer" or "I'd like a hefeweizen" without specifying the brand.

Up in the north, that often gets you a major brand, like Becks or Warsteiner. But head further south, and some very interesting beers start showing up in front of you. If one always looks at the menu and tries to be an intelligent chooser, one misses out on the nice surprises. I recommend touring Germany with an open mind rather than trying to be clever. Be surprised.

But I gave a lot of advice about drinking beer in Germany in this thread, a few years back:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32

For the record: on my Wednesday night out with my buddies I usually drink Guinness.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Oh, and I have to add this one post to the discussion:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......52851#24

The mother-in-law of which I spoke died in February. But she wasn't my mother-in-law anymore, since I have, since that post, divorced and remarried.

When I remarried, I did it in the States. I got married--to be very specific--at Chez Panisse in Berkeley California. We drank wine, not beer. But I digress. While traveling through Washington and California and Georgia and Alabama during the Honeymoon, I got very interested in IPAs. My wife hated them. She found the extra amount of hops to taste like pineapple or something similar. I myself found them very interesting.

Since then (that was in the summer of 2013), some German breweries have started offering IPAs.

In other words, real creativity and experimentation with beer is originating in the USA. Germany remains behind in beer innovation.

Nevertheless, I remain convinced of the spirit of my own beer thread: keep an open mind and taste MANY beers. Having a favorite is OK, but keep looking. That's the fun of beer. (And wine, and food, and sex. Oh...but with sex, it's probably more fun to keep going to the same bar...or restaurant...or vinter.)
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5003 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Rolling Rock. (I grew up in Latrobe, Pa with the original brewery).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Seriously, Guinness. Guinness is like a snack and a drink at the same time. Very satisfying and doesn't make you want to drink too much. Makes thinking about Magic and watching Magic "in session" more productive than most beers.

I don't drink often anymore. I just sip.

It takes about 1/2 glass of any beer before I should not perform.

A little helps.

There are some good Sierra Nevada (that is a California brand) flavors but I always forget my favorite before I have another one years later.

-Mary Mowder
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:
. . . it's probably more fun to keep going to the same bar...or restaurant...or vinter.

Vintner?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Yes, vintner.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I've just this year discovered the Russian and etc., beers...and they are really good...octane gets up to 10% in a few...and I love one called Kotayk.

those of you near the L.A. area, check out the Jons beer cooler...snag a half dozen weird ones and see how they are...make one of them a Kotayk if you like light and good carbonation.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5891 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2016, motown wrote:
Quote:

Most bars in Germany have a house beer. When one orders a beer, the custom is to say, "I'd like a beer" or "I'd like a hefeweizen" without specifying the brand.

Up in the north, that often gets you a major brand, like Becks or Warsteiner. But head further south, and some very interesting beers start showing up in front of you. If one always looks at the menu and tries to be an intelligent chooser, one misses out on the nice surprises. I recommend touring Germany with an open mind rather than trying to be clever. Be surprised.

But I gave a lot of advice about drinking beer in Germany in this thread, a few years back:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32

For the record: on my Wednesday night out with my buddies I usually drink Guinness.
Jeff,

I've made many trips to Germany over the past several years, including Cologn, Munich, Hamburg, Berlin, Dresden, Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Nürnberg. I enjoyed many outstanding German beers. I always try to drink the local brews, as evidence by my large collection of beer mats.
– Karl Germain
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2016, motown wrote:
I always try to drink the local brews, as evidence by my large collection of beer mats.

That's my view too. Find out what's local and give it a whirl.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
If I go out to a bar, I always order what's on draught. Why go to a bar to drink what you get at a deli?
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
When I was young I liked Foster's. After seeing the world, Germany mainly, and trying many good beers I had one again and thought it was pretty lame. But; having said that, a good, cheap choice is Foster's Ale; the newer one in the green can. You get 2 beers per can for 1.99 to 2.50 when they're on sale. It holds a good head for a while and has a decent bitter taste. I'm enjoying one right now with some pasta with seasoned olive oil, bell peppers, onion, garlic and pulled chicken.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Favorite beer? A porter I've brewed myself. Smile
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Spaten Optimator
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1142 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2016, critter wrote:
Spaten Optimator

Oh that's good stuff...taste..smooth..and one will kick you good! A friend introduced me and I didn't realize how high alcohol content it had. I did not drive home that night!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Duvel- had one the other day for the first time in years.

Just trying a New Belgium Hoppy Blonde. Very crisp and delicious.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite Beer (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL