The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » FBI agrees to unlock another iPhone (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1822 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
The FBI offers to unlock an iPhone in a homicide case:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35933239
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Good on the FBI! I hope other law enforcement agencies can take advantage of this as well. Put these criminals in prison!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4860 Posts

Profile of landmark
So, the ticking time bomb defense was a sham, too. Now phones will be unlocked for non-national security cases. So they lied again, huh?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, landmark wrote:
So, the ticking time bomb defense was a sham, too. Now phones will be unlocked for non-national security cases. So they lied again, huh?

I'm a little confused at your belief in this whole thing. If they always had the ability to hack into the phones, and if they don't need judicial permission to do so, then what, in your view, was the point of the motion?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4860 Posts

Profile of landmark
The point of the motion was to keep chipping away at the idea of Fourth Amendment, to keep pushing their legal ability to surveil, to make people accept the normality of surveillance.

I suspect as I mentioned before, that the NSA knows very well how to access the contents of any phone in its possession; but it may be that the FBI does not have access to the same kinds of supercomputing power that the NSA has. My guess is the NSA finally winked winked nudged nudged the FBI, and said here's how to do it, dummies. But I don't think it's an easy job for the average hacker. With the installation of backdoors, the FBI figured it could become a more routine operation.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
And yet the motion had nothing to do with their "legal ability" to surveil. They were clearly legally entitled to access the phone.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4395 Posts

Profile of Sixten
The Manhattan D.A., Cyrus R. Vance, Jr.,(amongst others) has 205+, waiting.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4860 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
And yet the motion had nothing to do with their "legal ability" to surveil. They were clearly legally entitled to access the phone.

Exactly, they tried to push the line of what legal access means. It had everything to do with their attempt to use their access right to then require the building-in of surveillance capability into the software/hardware of the phones.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17524 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, landmark wrote:

Yes...
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I suspect there is more to this story.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4860 Posts

Profile of landmark
I don't doubt that; on the other hand, there are events on the surface that are quite clear.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
clearly legally entitled to access the phone.

There's a question.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17524 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've been giving away free Bill of Rights, Constitutions and Declaration of Independence booklets to all my friends and particularly to those who don't quite understand my point of view. It's really helping... Almost given away 50 so far. If you want one I'd be glad to mail you one for free in the Continental USA ... Others can read on line if you'd prefer. It does indeed shed light on this subject... Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
BTW .. For those interested ... I'll be at Universal Studios and the House of Blues for another year ... Just got the contracts Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » FBI agrees to unlock another iPhone (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL