The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » “New Beer Tap Invention” (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
421 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Pure Genius… Amazing American Ingenuity

This is how Buds are poured at Phillies Field in Clearwater, Florida…afterwards the metal seal can be used for a ball
marker.

All mechanical engineers will be kicking themselves for not thinking of this first. Don't waste your time asking "Why didn't we think of
this!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=zf......youtu.be
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I'm absolutely positive there is some ecological catastrophe in the making there.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
And does this invention infringe on Pop Haydn's Magnetized Water?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, Magic from A to Z wrote:
Pure Genius… Amazing American Ingenuity

This is how Buds are poured at Phillies Field in Clearwater, Florida…afterwards the metal seal can be used for a ball
marker.

That's great, I always wanted to start a collection of 2,000 ball markers and fridge magnets in my home!

But, seriously, the technology is not "new". The video was from 2012. The invention itself has been on the market since at least 2010:

http://www.wired.com/2010/12/how-it-work......-bottom/

I think there are a number of problems it faces. Just a few, and in no particular order:

- Rockwell might have been kidding, but he is actually correct about there being an ecological issue. The special cups are harder to recycle. More parts (plastic, magnetic material, 'ball markers') to separate and process.

- It doesn't eliminate lines. The video showing it in use showed a line of about 10-12 people waiting for a beer. There were 8 dispensers, and only 1 was in use. Seems clear the real hold-up is with there not being enough cash stations and people working behind the bar, not with the speed of dispensing. That's what the video shows, and is what I would have guessed from the start.

- The special cups (according to what the inventor / owner of the company said in an interview) cost $0.36 each. That is a huge mark-up compared to regular plastic beer cups (which are $0.03 each retail at Walmart). Cost wise, it is far cheaper to open another cash register / hire another person than to use this technology.

- Litter in the stadiums ... regular beer cups are easy to clean up. The magnetic sealers from these cups will show up stuck on metal all over a stadium. Be a real pain (and expense) to clean these up.

- The dispenser takes up a lot of space and can only dispense one style of draft. If you have multiple offerings on draft, traditional beer tap handles are the way to go.

I give credit to the inventor as he seems to be working to address some of the technology's failings (see reddit thread below), but I think he will have a hard time getting this system widely accepted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3......toms_up/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Waiting for the first lawsuit over someone choking on the magnetic disc.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
There's also this problem (which I am quoting from my own beer thread):

5. Beer from a keg should be tapped very slowly. The reason for this is that the proper carbonation level is nearly impossible to produce at high speed. Beer in American bars is carbonated way too highly--like Coke. Beer should not fizz like Coke. If it does, and you like it, you are a barbarian.

I still think it's a really cool invention, that should make the inventor very proud. Still, it's an inefficient solution to the problem, as Balducci said. The reality is that they should hire more cashiers and more people to dispense the beer. That they don't do so shows it's not really a problem--just an inconvenience.

My solution? I never drink beer at sporting events. Especially in the USA. In the States, the beer is spectacularly over-priced (in Germany, beer is NEVER over-priced; that would be considered unethical), and I have to drive a car afterward, and my personal policy regarding drinking and driving is: zero alcohol when I know I'll be driving. Lastly, beer drinking also leads to joining yet another line: to the men's room.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » “New Beer Tap Invention” (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL