The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Surrounded Production Illusion (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
A question if I may.

What production illusion (producing I medium sized female assistant) do you feel is the most deceiving?

No limitations except that the illusion has to be "performed surrounded".

An additional bonus that would be nice that this production illusion may be performed by a single performer (magician) with no other assistants required, with the exception of the one being produced.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thank you kindly.
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
Book of life works without angle issues.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
A professional built Crystal Casket can do the job, even close-up.
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Thanks to both of you.
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Blame Box or Crystal Casket could work.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I don't like the "Blame Box". It always makes me feel guilty. Now, the Blammo Box on the other hand … Smile
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Haha!!!
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1109 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Do you want to perform it in the round? Or just be able to perform it without angle problems.

Blammo Box, doll house, fire cage all come to mind.

But for something that can be performed in the round? It's hard to beat the crystal casket.
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Thank you Thomas R
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Build what is commonly known as a Universal Deceptive Base.

It can become the Crystal Casket and a few more illusions.

Basically appearances, vanishes or switches can be accomplished with such a utility prop.

Then you can have a different illusion in the future.

If you don't know what it is, well... Look it up. It's not hard to find. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Thank you, Pakar. I designed and used such a system back in the deep dark 80s. We built seven different tops that were interchanged on a super thin aluminum base. In fact, I have built a number of bases of various shapes and designs. I was hope for something different. Like say The Mignon Illusion, but more deceptive. Many illusions telegraph the "hiding space".

I appreciate your suggestion. I appreciate you of your suggestions.

Thank you all.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Quote: Many illusions telegraph the "hiding space".
Perhaps you're looking at it as a magician.
But that's also the reason for me that I gave the advice: PROFESSIONAL built.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The Shadow Translucent Circus Tent
The Floating Gift Box
Inflatable Gingerbread House
Double Tip-Over Trunk
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
John Wills: First off, thank you for making time to address my question. Secondly, I want to let you know that I am pretty well educated in illusions and their design and construction and have built illusions for shows here in the US and in Europe. I only say this so that you know I am a professional magician and not an amateur that has not studied the art.

As to looking at illusions like a magician. I can assure you that I always look at effects from the audience stand point. The question I always address when building a show is - "Who is the audience?" That way I can design things that will appeal to that specific make up of audience.

Contrary to your comment, you would be surprised how many audience members are all to aware of the "hiding space". I have heard many talk about magic after a show and how they felt the effects were achieved. Often said "Why did he put the girl in the box? Obviously the box "is the trick". And they are right. I am a firm believer in Jack Gwynne's quote "You have to be bigger than the box." He used to close his floor show with a napkin trick - wanting the audience to remember him (the magician) and not the boxes.

My reason for the original question - which no one took the time to ask was - "What was the best "surrounded" production" illusion?" I have a rather large library of illusion books with all the classics including Harbin and Wels and Thayer, as well as the newer illusion designers like Steinmeyer. And I have been a student of illusions for over thirty-five years. But I am the first to admit that I do not know it all.

I had hoped to start a discussion of ideas of production illusions. With the hope that I would be exposed to new ideas or older ones that I am not aware of. Illusions with unique techniques and concepts. I am always a student and will be until I die.

Thank you again for your taking time to address my question.

Kindest regards.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
My favorite production of an assistant has to be from a tiny box, like the Handkerchief (Jap) Box or Drawer Box or any silk production box that is obviously too small to even consider holding a live person. The silks produced get larger and larger (As in Qua-Fiki's "Sneaky Production Box" in The Wizards' Journal #18) until you finally produce a six foot silk, and then from inside the silk make the production of your assistant. This will work for any silk production you like, so obviously the search here is NOT for a particular production box, but a concealment space that will not be suspected before, during or after the appearance of the assistant. At this point, the discussion needs to continue in the basement or by PM.
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Thank you, Jim.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1109 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Tilted Cage by Rand Woodbury (Illusionworks Volume I) comes to mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Surrounded Production Illusion (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL