The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which would you give up? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The other evening I was sitting in my chair, reading a book and had conflicting urges. A shot of scotch or a bowl of ice cream?

I couldn't have both, so I had to choose. And then I had an unsettling thought. Suppose I needed to give up either alcohol or ice cream for my health. Which would go? I struggled a bit, then settled on it.

I'd rather give up the alcohol and keep the ice cream.

How about you?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
When I quit smoking, I had to give up the ice cream.

But give up alcohol?

You're a better man than I am.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Let me say that there are some very good fake ice cream brands out there, so...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
That's a really, really tough choice.

If I gave up Scotch, could I still drink hefe? If so, I'd keep the ice cream for sure.

What did you end up having the other evening? And why, in the name of all that's holy and dear, couldn't you have had both?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2016, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
The other evening I was sitting in my chair, reading a book and had conflicting urges. A shot of scotch or a bowl of ice cream?

I couldn't have both, ...

Why not? Are they contraindicated? (Or whatever that word is.) If not, you should have tried a bit of scotch over the ice cream. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Why not both? Well, they'd have to be separated by time to avoid grotesque taste cross-contamination. And it was approaching bedtime.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1978 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Id mix them.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5004 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I pretty much gave up alcohol when I started chemo in 2011 and continue not to drink due to potent pain meds. I don't really miss it (occasionally, like my son's wedding, I will not take my meds for a day or so and have a few beers. But it is very rare Smile )
Ice cream, on the other hand... You will have try pry it from my cold dead fingers.....
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15957 Posts

Profile of tommy
It would depend on whether I lived in a hot or a cold climate.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
I'm one of those rare people who hates sweets so much that even as a kid I had no use for cookies, ice cream, candy or cake (the only standard "spoil your dinner" sweet-type treat I had any use for was Popsicles, and even then only grape or orange), so this isn't even a decision for me.

I still to this day hear "You hate sweets THAT much? That must be so hard...", and my answer is "Why? Can you imagine how much my parents loved the fact that I hated sweets?" Whenever I asked for a book, comic or otherwise, I always got it, because I never pestered my mom for candy in supermarket checkouts. Yes, Halloween was no big deal for me, but I could still go around, collect candy and trade it for football / hockey cards, Hot Wheels, comic books and other stuff I actually liked. Really, the only difficult part was when we were at weddings where it was expected that guests would have at least a bite of the wedding cake to be polite. I'd keep it between my cheek and gums, excuse myself, go to the bathroom and spit it out. My parents knew I was doing this and I always got rewarded afterwards. And when it came to me not wanting sweets, I can't tell you how often other parents told mine they'd like to swap kids.

Give up alcohol or give up ice cream? I actually laughed when I read the question. Now having to choose between alcohol and snacks such as pretzels, Fritos and barbecue chips - THAT would be tough. I'd have to give up the booze.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1142 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2016, The great Gumbini wrote:
Id mix them.

Good magic to all,

Eric

That was going to be my reply...

http://www.cookingdivine.com/recipes/sin......e-cream/

Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I gotta say, as someone who doesn't drink or eat ice cream, I find this whole thread interesting and amusing.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1978 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Imgic that's because great minds think alike! Sometimes people have to think outside the bottle.
Good magic to all,

Eric
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4871 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm sitting here kicking back with my glass of ArKay whiskey , scooping up the last morsels of Chocolate Marshmallow swirl Tofutti, just getting high on life.

Nah, I'd rather kill myself.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Easy choice for me. since all alcohol tastes like swill to me I don't drink. So Ice Cream for me
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2016, Payne wrote:
Easy choice for me. since all alcohol tastes like swill to me I don't drink. So Ice Cream for me

That's absurd.

You've probably never tasted actual swill.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
That's right! Payne is insulting swill!

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Speaking as someone who, for health reasons, really did have to give up both.... You miss it, but you get by.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Speaking as someone who, for health reasons, really did have to give up both.... You miss it, but you get by.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I could live the rest of my life without ice cream. But even though I am not a real drinker, I would miss the whiskey.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which would you give up? (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL