The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Working with a live musician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kalebzebadi
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
101 Posts

Profile of kalebzebadi
Hi, often I perform on stage with musicians but I'm trying to find more creative ways to blend the two,

Sometimes I perform snowstorm to the song let it snow (at christmas)

Also I do shape of my heart with backpalming but its kind of hard with a stage performance.
I don't use cameras too so I don't do a lot of close up magic.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hi kalebzebadi,

So what's your question ? In which area are you looking for some help or suggestions ?

Thanks.

Oliver.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Live Music can add a lot to any theatrical show. Do you usually work with the same musicians?
kalebzebadi
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
101 Posts

Profile of kalebzebadi
Hi guys!

I work with 2 or 3 different musicians but I'd love to put a routine together with one of them.

My question is.. Well I'm looking for ideas of new tricks that will blend well with a song being played Smile
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of thomasR
An idea... live music can be way more than just a song. I saw a magician perform with a piano player once (it was a variety show with singing, magic, comedy). He did a a Coppentro style coin effect and as he made the coins disappear, the piano player played these really nice high notes that sounded like coins clanging together. It's really hard to describe but it added a whole new dimension to the routine.

So even if a lot of your magic is "talking" pieces, music in the background can help enhance the mood. Since I don't know your style of magic, I can't get too specific, but say you do a cut and restored rope routine. Maybe ask one of the musicians if they can play a really "choppy" musical piece as you are cutting the rope. Make it extra dramatic and funny. Maybe if you cut the rope multiple times the last time the musician gets carried away and you have to go over and cue him to stop. That's a comic idea that may not fit your show but maybe it will make you think of something that would.

Since the musicians know your act... perhaps they will have an idea of something they could do to add to one of your acts.
kalebzebadi
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
101 Posts

Profile of kalebzebadi
Good thoughts Smile thanks
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Glad you are working with a live musician.

A dead musician is such a drag.

It's such a one way conversation... Smile

Sorry... I just couldn't resist! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
My wife and I perform together as musician/magician. My wife plays the violin thru out much of the show. There are a few pieces that I do alone but when her and I do an illusion together,she performs as if part of the illusion. It works very well. I've trusted her to select repertoire that suits her interests as a musician. We discuss quite a bit about what music would suit specific illusions and then of course work out timings. We play off of each other and it has worked well for us for many years now.
Our "Magic of Music" show has served us well and we never grow tired of doing it.
Good luck on your endeavor. Trust the musician and let him/her be as much the star of the show as yourself. Let them be creative and welcome their input.
kalebzebadi
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
101 Posts

Profile of kalebzebadi
Do you have any videos of your magic of music show?

Sounds great!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Working with a live musician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL