The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Magic of Sam Schwartz by Allen Zingg - Review? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
224 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Anyone had a chance to give this book a read through?

Opinions?
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
For a full review of Sam Schwartz book, read Michel Close article in the january issue of Magic.
Higly Recomannded.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
danielchua
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
119 Posts

Profile of danielchua
For a better picture check out also March's Geni mag there's a review on this book by Jamy as well
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
224 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Thanks for the suggestions. The March Geni hadn't arrived a the local shop yet but I'll have a look at it as soon as it comes in.

If anybody happens to have already purchased and read the book though I'd still be interested in opinions on it.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I have the book, and there is no need to talk about it.
ITS A MUST HAVE!! Period.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1515 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I put this book back in front page because I think it has a lot of great magic.
I did not know who Sam Schwartz was and got it from Scott Guinn because he recommended.
Great book, written by Mr Zingg, did not know who he is, and publish by Stephen Minch that I think is a guarantee of good stuff
It has a section on cards using the deck, sections on packet tricks, some very good, another section on coins, several tricks on C/S coins, a great routine with a slot boston coin, more coin box, more cards, ropes, rope and ring and some pages on his experience.
If you have Close up card magic from Lorayne there is a trick by Schwartz on it

Very nice book, I do recommend it.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5828 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
+10 On this book!!!

It IS still available and well worth your time! Maybe a review is in order but I had thought that people would have snagged this when it was published. Sam Schwartz gave us some really strong magic and this book is a wonderful treasure trove of this man's genius.

Hopefully someone will be faster at getting a review posted than I, but I will write as detailed a review as possible. Still, if you can snag the reviews from Michael Close and Jamy Ian Swiss, THEIR words carry much more weight than mine - as it should be.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 11:00, pabloinus wrote:
[snip]

and publish by Stephen Minch
[snip]

Incorrect.

The book was published by Magico Magazine.

Stephen Minch wrote the foreword for the book.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1515 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Brian is correct
The book was written by Allen Zingg, illustrated by Tony Dunn, foreword by Stephen Minch and published by Magico Magazine.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Pabloinus,

Quote:
On 2011-09-09 11:00, pabloinus wrote:
[snip]

If you have Close up card magic from Lorayne there is a trick by Schwartz on it
[snip]

There are two Sam Schwartz effects in Close Up Card Magic...Sam-Ultaneous, pp. 114-116 and Push-Through Poker, pp. 207-212.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1515 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you for the input Brian, looks like my post is now 100% corrected Would you add something on the book's content now?
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 16:08, pabloinus wrote:
Thank you for the input Brian, looks like my post is now 100% corrected Would you add something on the book's content now?

I'd be happy to! But, this will be in several posts...if anyone shows interest.

Working Against Time, pp. 5-7. I first learned of this effect in Racherbaumer's Kabbala, Volume 1-Number Two (October 1971). I have performed this since then.

In addition to being a fantastic trick, it provides a great way to become comfortable with the top change.

Brian
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1515 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Brian, I also like the working against time routine, but while there is a lot of misdirection for the top change I am not doing it well and I always concern people will see it.
I am reading the packet tricks and the okito's routine now.
pablo
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
237 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
This is a book that sits nicely on the bookshelf. The contents are well laid out, the typeface is pleasant, and Tony Dunn's pen and ink illustrations are superb.

My only complaint is that the full instructions for his "Astrology: The Hidden Force" book test (cowritten with Karl Fulves) are not included, but the one page summary does get the mouth watering. Sadly, I've sold my ATHF books but . . . thanks to the reminder from reading about it again in the book . . . I'll be on the hunt again.

My favorite among the many card effects is "Working Against Time." It's a nice close-up piece for those instances when I'm asked to do something at a person's house. It's easy to have a miniature card in my wallet, so it's pretty much ready to go if there's an egg (or game) timer and a deck of cards handy.

I give the book a solid 9 out of 10 stars. If I gave half stars, it'd earn a 9.5.
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
237 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
EDIT: I see that I'm not the only one who enjoyed "Working Against Time." I should have read all the reviews before I posted mine. Mea culpa.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Magic of Sam Schwartz by Allen Zingg - Review? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL