The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ty Cobb (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Here's a cool article:

http://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/who-was-ty......s-wrong/

But the reason I'm posting it is this: "everybody knows" is surprisingly spongy. Everybody knows: Islam, transexuality, Donald Trump, law, medicine, history, magic, whatever. The old Socratic "know that you don't know" is in short supply.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Great article, thanks Jeff.

It's interesting to me that the article attributes at least some of the general misinformation to the Ken Burns series.

When I interviewed Burns about Jackie Robinson, I specifically asked, "It's been said that more Americans get their history from Ken Burns than any other source--does that responsibility weigh on you?"

And Burns, who I think is an amazing documentarian, nevertheless, was to me, much too confident in his answer--he said he had researchers, not really worried, etc., etc.

But the truth is that the truth about our past is sometimes surprisingly hard to track down once the first-person sources are gone.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I lost interest in Ken Burns when he did his Jazz series, in which Winton Marsalis was portrayed in the same light as Ellington, Armstrong, etc.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hard to believe writers such as Stump could so intentionally and freely decide to take part in ruining a person's reputation.

Well (sadly), not hard to believe...it is just rather depressing to see such a despicable example of someone who has done just that.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
That was an excellent article, even for those of us who have never heard of Cobb. It raises some questions on journalistic ethics. Cobb sounds like one of the good guys.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Interesting article, however I had no idea Ty Cobbs had the reputation described in it.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I picked up Leerhsen's book on Cobb a while back based on reviews and the fact that he set the record straight. This guy was one smart ball player. A lot of people don't know he had stock in both General Motors and Coca Cola. He was worth several million dollars and quite charitable.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2016, balducci wrote:
Interesting article, however I had no idea Ty Cobbs had the reputation described in it.

I'm not a baseball guy, don't follow the game, but knew of Ty Cobb and "knew" of his horrible reputation. That was all I knew, that he was one of the greats, and that he was a really bad guy. Pity about that, but glad that the record is getting set aright.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:
Here's a cool article:

http://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/who-was-ty......s-wrong/

But the reason I'm posting it is this: "everybody knows" is surprisingly spongy. Everybody knows: Islam, transexuality, Donald Trump, law, medicine, history, magic, whatever. The old Socratic "know that you don't know" is in short supply.

I enjoyed the article which contradicts what is called 'populist epistemology' ("everybody knows"). But the article is also good for striking against 'agnosticism' ("nobody knows"). I really liked how the author looked into old newspapers from 1911 to fid the sources of stories! There is even new scholarship coming out about the US Civil War !!!. A couple of good books: "1861" by Adam Goodheart and "The Half Has Never Been Told" by Edward Baptist. Both books draw not only on historian's accounts, but on first person accounts and evidence of historical fact. A scientific approach! Lynn
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The winners write the history and the dead are the losers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL1KbQU30-4
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ty Cobb (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL