The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hopping Half question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
296 Posts

Profile of asmayly
Is there a routine that utilizes just the C/S and the C (or just the S)?

I suppose it wouldn't be too spectacular, but I just wanted to economize and streamline what I do and what and how I carry it.

Thanks.
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
160 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
There is one that uses a c/s, a half and a english penny. No ['s. "Short Hop" on the Mark Jenest Miracles While You Wait video.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I suppose you could just do a spellbound flurry. Or a standard copper / silver transposition, but that would defeat the point of buying the hopping half set to begin with. How about something like:

Show the C and S in the left hand, pocket the S. Close left hand around the C, open left hand it's now an S, and the C reappears out of nowhere in your right hand. Standard C/S transpo, that ends with a vanish of the S, and you're left with just the C, exactly as you started. Simple, but definitely streamlined.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Curtis Kam has a routine in his book deceptions in paradise that fits your criteria. It is a copper, silver flurry. He also has a hopping half routine that is EXCELLENT using on the gaff you named and two regular coins.
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
296 Posts

Profile of asmayly
Thanks, Wildstone,
You gave me an idea but please tell me if I'm going to give away the MO because of the simplicity in this routine:

You bring out a Copper penny and Silver (CS) in your l. hand. You take the copper, close your l. hand around the silver (cs) and put the copper away (but in thu-cl). You open your left hand and the copper is back.

You fal-tr. the copper (cs) in your left hand to the copper in the right and put it away. You make a magical motion with your empty right hand to your "empty" left hand, clenching your left hand and then opening it to reveal the silver is back.

(I would like to get a third phase in there, but this is all I can think of right now--as you can tell, I'm not really a coin guy.)

OK, I just thought of a third phase, but it's pretty ballsy and it still may mess up the MO (but it would be aa good kicker if it works.).

You do the first 2 phases as above, and then you say "How would you like to do some of this magic? Here open your hand" as you place the "silver" in it. You say "close it tight, and think about it changing to a penny" and she opens it, it's still silver. You pick up the coin and say" I don't think you were serious enough. This time, think that you want it to change with your eyes closed and then slowly open your hand, but keep your eyes closed as you open it--it's all about really believing it and follow through."

You put the the coin "back" in her hand and when she opens it (with her eyes still closed) you grap her fingers with your right hand so her hand won't jump (or so she won't grab it) when she sees it's copper.

Lots of chancy stuff going on around here ...
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
You may like to check out mike close's Chicken Tyriaki or Kaufamn Coin Magic, both cover similar plots.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I do a routine with a half and Chinese coin that is very similar to the one that I outlined in my first post, that sometimes works into the hands of the spectator, but the method is actually less complex than the one you outlined, which, by the way, was a very good method in and of itself. However, in my routining, three coins are involved, where as in yours, only two are needed. I'd give serious credance to the the 3 coin method, as it plays very strong, and the coins can be examined prior to and after the routine. Example:

"Here I have two coins, a copper & a silver. You've probably seen magicians do effects with these types of coins before, but I'm going to show you something a little different. I'll start by placing the silver coin in my left pocket, I like to begin my micro-miracles by working with one coin at a time, and moving up from there. Take a good look at the copper coin because if I simply close my hand and count to three... (bam! produce the copper from the right hand which was thought to be empty, pause a moment, then open the left hand to reveal that the silver is there, back, as it were, from the pocket).

Then, I do a standard transpostion of the copper and silver coins (my left pocket is a bit "S heavy" at this point). The coins switch places, and phase 2 is complete. Now... comes the fork in the road. I either repeat the transpo effect, but "make it more difficult" by seperating my hands even further. Both coins are in the closed right hand, I reach in and take out the "silver coin", leaving the copper in the right. I plunge my left hand into my pocket, to "make sure the hands cannot come together", and in a moment reveal the silver coin is back in my right hand, and the copper is removed from my left pocket. The coins can be examined, and I'm clean (and set up to do it again immediately).

OR

I do a switch of the copper to silver in the spectator's hand, but using three coins, this is done in a way that won't matter if the spectator drops or examines the coin that she is left with when the effect is over. I take back my coins, bid her a found farewell, pocket everything, and I'm ready to go again.

Since we're both on the same page with this effect, I'm sure you'll know the methods behind the above effects. So anyway, think about using three coins. 2 legit, and one "questionable" coin. Smile

-Mike

BTW, you may want to stick with more routine description, and less method description when we're chatting in this particular forum. I'm not sure, but you may have given up the farm with your post above. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to go into the methods in more detail.

asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
296 Posts

Profile of asmayly
Wildstone,
I have some other comments, so I'll take your advice and move my comments over to Secret Sessions ...
see you there.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13386 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Curtis has a nice routine... Coercive Purse
Lattta has CopSilBrass
I have CopSilBrass For Sissies
Scotty York has a Coins to Purse (I've never seen it)
John Bannon has a very easy one called Chinese something or other. I forgot.

All those use the C/S coin.
As many as possible should be looked into. They are all eye openers as to what you can do with the C/S.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "As many as possible should be looked into. They are all eye openers as to what you can do with the C/S."

Yes, all of those merit study. I especially like the routine that you mentioned by Curtis.

The C/S is also one of those great items that breeds creativity by just simply holding it and "messing around" for awhile.

Mike

Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
For hopping half routines 'Short Hop' gets great reactions, is easy to learn, easy to perform and takes up minimal space in my pockets. I actually keep it in the little extra pocket that blue jeans come with for all my impromptu performances <grin>. Short Hop, as well as six other really good effects are found on Mark Jenests Miracles While You Wait DVD (or VHS if you can still find it).
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1257 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Jamie Swiss has one in Apocalypse using a C/S. There's also a "Cheap Way" Cop/Sil/Brass by Tony Miller.
leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
The most ingenious use of a C/S coin is in Curtis Kam's 'Inferential C/S Transposition' (Apocalypse vol 6, 1983, 753). Very devious!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hopping Half question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL