We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Paper Engine Review??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Does anyone have a review of Aaron Fisher's Paper Engine? It looks really good and I love the advanced stuff. Any links or personal reviews? Thanks. Smile
ABlair36
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
234 Posts

Profile of ABlair36
Get it.
That pretty much sums it up.
You need to be advanced enough, but if you are, get it.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I've just about mastered all of Lennart Green's stuff, so I consider that pretty advanced Smile
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
WOW! MASTERED! Pretty impressive.
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
If you've mastered Green's material, then this book isn't for you. It'd be making you go backwards.
Who is John Galt?
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
The main reason I'm interested in this book is the Gravity Half Pass, which everyone seems to rave about. Is the book worth the price of that one move ?
Jonathan R
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Jonathan R
Quote:
On 2004-03-11 23:47, financedragon wrote:
If you've mastered Green's material, then this book isn't for you. It'd be making you go backwards.

That's not true…

The Paper Engine and Lennart Green's videos/dvd's contain a totally different style of card magic. Some of Lennart's material is very advanced while other things are completely self working – this is the same case with Aaron's stuff, some is hard and technically demanding while other things rely more on bluff or timing than technical ability.
A lot of Lennart's material is based around the table, and has generally got a humorous, challenging gambling type theme to it (not always of course). Aaron's, I would say is more in the hands and uses fun and interesting plots – read: 'The Omen'.

They are both excellent sources of quality card magic…
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1485 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I met Aaron Fisher last week here in Belgium and I have to say the his gravity half pass just happens like a soft breeze. Or maybe like a no-breeze-at-all. The power of his handling is (1) you don't see anything and (2) you don't guess that there would be something to see. Great. He has a nice work on the bluff pass too: handling, convincers, it makes it a quite nice-looking control. And some other stuff.
I couldn't buy it at this moment (he sold out every books he bought with him) so I just took a look on the book of a friend of mine. But I ordered it and saw the beforementionned material in action.
I think there are some very good things to find in there (and it seems very well taught).

It is definatly completely different than Lenart Green's work.

Jonathan (P)
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Quote:
On 2004-03-12 00:08, mattisdx wrote:
The main reason I'm interested in this book is the Gravity Half Pass, which everyone seems to rave about. Is the book worth the price of that one move ?

No.
disappointing hack
View Profile
New user
aberystwyth
98 Posts

Profile of disappointing hack
The book has some good sleights in it, but most of them are variations on previous moves. while the gravity half pass is as smooth and invisible as you'd want it to be, you have to remember this, it is just a half pass. while I throughly ENJOYED reading through and learning the material in the book, I was rather let down when I found that there was a lack of performance tips in the book. so, if you love learning sleights, (which is an admirable hobby indeed), then I suggest getting the book, it will keep you happy for a good while. if you want to learn from the experience of others then I suggest you overlook this publication and buy Absolute Magic by Derren Brown instead.
hope this helps....
"shoot 'em in the back, quick, while they're not looking" Richard M. Nixon's Head.
stache
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of stache
Mattisdx can you do that thing where you blindfold yourself and then pick out all 13 cards of one suit? Cause I would really like to see that and since you are the only person I have heard of that has mastered all of Lennart Green's stuff I figured you could show me if we ever run into eachother at a convention. Thanks.

Oh and by the way the book "The Paper Engine" is fantastic. I would suggest getting everything that Aaron has, I have. All of his stuff is really thought out with absolutly no filler. Hope this helps ya.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I was going to post a link to a topic in the reviews section on this book, but I thought the comments in that thread were not very helpful, so instead I will just add my opinion onto this thread. Paper Engine is worth it. The value of the gravity half pass section is not so much about the move itself. The real value is in the lesson it teaches you as an example on how to remove tension from your card sleights. Aaron has many such essays which are extremely useful. This book is about how to make sleight of hand as thoughtfully coreographed as any large stage movements.

As for the tricks? Theres some good tricks / moves in here which I use regularly. The book would have been worth it to me just for his handling of Andrus' revolution change. I also get a lot of mileage out of the Nowhere Pass, Three Kings, and Search & Destroy. I'm still working on his One-handed popover, but its nice to have a book that has some challenges like that... gives you something to work for.
disappointing hack
View Profile
New user
aberystwyth
98 Posts

Profile of disappointing hack
If you want some 'challenging' material then get a copy of 'by forces unseen'
"shoot 'em in the back, quick, while they're not looking" Richard M. Nixon's Head.
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
Personaly, I like his onehanded popout thingamajig. It's very fun to do, alhtough very hard to master. The routiens are pretty interesting too.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
On 2004-03-14 11:19, disappointing hack wrote:
If you want some 'challenging' material then get a copy of 'by forces unseen'

Its out of print.

just to clarify, I'm not interested in challenge for its own sake.
hnegash
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of hnegash
Quote:
On 2004-03-14 16:23, Geoff Weber wrote:
Its out of print.

just to clarify, I'm not interested in challenge for its own sake.

It's back in print. Check out the Hermetic Press website.

Henok
skillz
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of skillz
I like Fishers stuff. Just seems like he's melodramatic about sleights.
hnegash
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of hnegash
I like Fishers stuff. Just seems like he's melodramatic about sleights.

What do you mean?

Henok Negash
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
315 Posts

Profile of A.J.
I really enjoyed this book. The sleights that are taught are moves that you will use for the rest of your life. The gravity half-pass alone is worth the price of admission. Also check out Aaron's work on the Bluff replacement. Great.

There are also some fantastic card effects. Check out Revolution #9, the Standing Challenge (a unique take on Vernon's effect), and A Star is Born (a real commercial presentation here).

This is really a gem of a book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Paper Engine Review??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL