The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » The Genie of the Lamp (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
This is an idea I have been toying with that I have not seen anywhere and I wanted to document it and get feedback and share it all at once. I will present it in the form most appropriate for this forum.

"Once upon a time there was a prop called Vapr by Will Tsai. Along came a Storyteller, who picked it up and placed it inside a plastic toy model of Aladdin's lamp. Some time later, in the company of a group of children, he handed one of them the lamp and invited the child to polish it with a cloth...at which point smoke from the Vapr unit fixed inside began to billow out of the spout. It was then the Storyteller began to spin an old tale, oh best Beloved, that suddenly took on a very new life..."

Were you that Storyteller? Ah....better to ask, will you be?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
Okay, I guess I wasn't "normal" enough with this post. I am very disappointed that this got no response at all. I thought it was a good idea, and worth sharing. I also thought it would be clever/appropriate to present it as a story. Is it just me? I mean, how can this post get 84 views and no comments?

My specific questions are:
1 - Have you done anything like this?
2 - is this a good enough idea to pursue
3 - What similar ideas do you have to presenting Genie of the Lamp stories/effects?

I guess I am seriously misreading the audience of this forum if this kind of thing is just not interesting enough to discuss.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I bought a lamp once from the magic castle swap meet that did something similar although it allows you to release any colored smoke you like. It was very messy and released a massive amount of smoke which was thick and staining. Needless to say I never used it but for fun then I broke it and it awaits fixing. I would say many people here don't have the effect you mention but agree that it would look very nice and you could even do some priming with suggestion so that the kids see the genie in the smoke. I also think it would look much better emitting forth from a real old lamp that you can get cheaply online.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
I actually like this forum. I like to come in and see if anyone is working on story lines or story related magic, very fun stuff. It gets my creativity up and helps with things I have been working on.

I like your idea. I have never messed around with vapr, I have seen things that need more hook up and are not self contained units to work like what you saying. So this could be a really neat thing.
How much smoke is produced? can this be done indoors without billows of smoke lingering or weird smells.

can you do anything else, like other effects with the lamp?
would it fit in the overall theme of the whole story?
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Neat idea, I was toying with purchasing this to try and use with a rattle box and use the smoke as a physical manifestation of a ghost to use in another effect.
Yogi2x4
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of Yogi2x4
I enjoyed the spirit of the first post. The plot is great!
Carlosfa
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Carlosfa
I know it is an old post but there is a Spanish magician who has something like that, if you want to check:

https://xaviertapias.com/store/product/a......e-size-/
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
My specific questions are:
1 - Have you done anything like this?
2 - is this a good enough idea to pursue
3 - What similar ideas do you have to presenting Genie of the Lamp stories/effects?

https://logs.surnateum.com/le-maitre-des-ruses/

I published the story in one of my French books (Fabula Hermetika).
Note: The lamp dates from 1000 to 1200 years ago, the "carpet" is 1600 year old.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » The Genie of the Lamp (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL