The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reference source for trick names (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chiartguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of chiartguy
I'm wondering if there exists a fairly extensive reference text for looking up a trick's name or title.

When I was new to all this I'd see names like Ba*k Ni**t, or Th**e F*y, or Ch**r T*st, or O*t O* T**s W***d, (hopefully you get the idea; trying to minimize exposure here) but then it would take me a while to dig up exactly what trick or effect was being discussed. Having seen quite a bit of magic I knew most of the tricks but I had no idea what their "magic names" were!

I've since found a few good books that describe classic effects by name, and Genii magazine's online Magicpedia is a pretty helpful resource (especially for names of card plots). But I'm curious if anyone has ever attempted to compile a comprehensive list of most of the classic/common trick names with descriptions, either as a published text or a website list or maybe just a really good glossary in one of the larger books on general magic. It'd be great if there was one with an index to cross-reference other things in addition to the titles such as coins, cards, mentalism, stage apparatus, and types of effects (production/vanish/transposition/etc).
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Check out the link below
exactly what you are describing

http://archive.denisbehr.de/
chiartguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of chiartguy
Thanks for the reminder about Denis Behr's site, MorrisCH. It's definitely a great resource for referencing where to find more information on certain tricks, and where to locate different variations of a single trick.

I'm hoping to dig up a good glossary on common/classic tricks and their descriptions (by name or title of trick), so I welcome more suggestions.

Maybe I'll need to start compiling a list for myself.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
If your compiling it your self --make copys and keep a ring binder of all effect/explanation-etc-- will have effect name-discription-pattersuggestion-etc -plus maybe manufactor/sales shop- also many different Magic catalogs --just an Idea-
novestro
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of novestro
Trick names is one thing, but especially for people like me who are no native speakers of English a glossary of English terms of magic in general would be helpful. Normal dictionaries usually do not contain these words that very often have a meaning completely different from their normal meaning. I wonder if anybody knows about the existence of such a glossary?
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Novestro -- Some general-interest, entry-level magic books include a glossary. "Magic for Dummies" and Bill Severn's "Magic as a Hobby" are two examples. But I'm afraid these sorts of glossaries aren't likely to be particularly complete.

Wikipedia has a pretty good list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_magic_(illusion)

So does Glossery Central: http://www.glossarycentral.com/magic/

Genii magazine's Magicpedia might be the best of the online terminology reference guides: http://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
novestro
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of novestro
Thank you very much, Doug, your links are a great help!
RichardIngram
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RichardIngram
The Denis Behr site is awesome, I am grateful for the hard work there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reference source for trick names (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL