The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Triple threat question (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lukecloughmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of lukecloughmagic
Hi guys, I've recently bought a second hand Triple Threat in peace dollars which is great however I have one issue. The inner coin and shell doesn't drop out from the outer shell very well. How easy should it be to release? Will it be a magnet thing or just a dirt inside thing possibly? what are the best ways of checking or cleaning? thanks in advance Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4753 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Well I would clean Them 1 St. Then go from there!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2016, lukecloughmagic wrote:
Hi guys, I've recently bought a second hand Triple Threat in peace dollars which is great however I have one issue. The inner coin and shell doesn't drop out from the outer shell very well. How easy should it be to release? Will it be a magnet thing or just a dirt inside thing possibly? what are the best ways of checking or cleaning? thanks in advance Smile

Over the years, I've had four or five of these. Some drop very easily, some stick a little. I think it's probably a combination of the magnet strength and the shell sizes. Also, the inner coin in a lot of the Schoolcraft sets is very thin, making it lighter.
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
First off, Schoolcraft does NOT make the Triple Threat, he makes a blatant knockoff of the Triple Threat. And has never been chastised by discerning coin magicians on this board.

Secondly, the original Lassen Triple Threat is set up perfectly to unleash one coin at a time with no bungling. Also the Lassen Triple Threat does not include Schoolcraft's ridiculously thin wafer coin. In fact, Schoolcraft's super crappy knockoff is giving the original Triple Threat a bad name, as well as taking 10's of thousands of dollars from Lassen's pocket. Think how many crappy 3CM have sold, then think that each one he sold took about $400 out of Lassen's pocket.

Coin magicians that support Schoolcraft are losers. Plain and simple, and they get what they deserve... crap. And it ain't cheap either.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
[quote]On Apr 23, 2016, elainevblaine wrote:
First off, Schoolcraft does NOT make the Triple Threat, he makes a blatant knockoff of the Triple Threat. And has never been chastised by discerning coin magicians on this board.

Secondly, the original Lassen Triple Threat is set up perfectly to unleash one coin at a time with no bungling. Also the Lassen Triple Threat does not include Schoolcraft's ridiculously thin wafer coin. In fact, Schoolcraft's super crappy knockoff is giving the original Triple Threat a bad name, as well as taking 10's of thousands of dollars from Lassen's pocket. Think how many crappy 3CM have sold, then think that each one he sold took about $400 out of Lassen's pocket.

Coin magicians that support Schoolcraft are losers. Plain and simple, and they get what they deserve... crap. And it ain't cheap either. [/quote)

I get it. But for this conversation, the basic construction is the same. Although, Lassen expands the outer shell which allows the coin insert to be thicker while Schoolcraft does not. Having said that, some of Lassen's Triple Threats will also bind when attempting to drop the inner shell set. It seems to me that the strength of the magnets is probably the culprit.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1941 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
In addition to the above, check to make sure the shell isn't slightly dinged / out of round, causing the inner coin to catch slightly.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1294 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Try to add a little Teflon tape inside the shell that sticks and that will tell you if it is the strength or if it is a ding pretty easily.
if it is out of round then sending it out to be repaired is your best bet.
Due to the way it is made I would not use the silk or other suggestions for getting back in the round.
If it is a 3T then Lassen will repair it ....if it is a 3CM send it to schoolcraaft for repair.

Mobius
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Is this the set you are offering for sale???
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4182 Posts

Profile of videoman
I have a TTGF from Lassen and it is harder to release both inner coins than I would like. It's workable but doesn't seem near as effortless as when Todd does it in the videos.
I'm sure it's a magnet issue. In my experience involving different manufacturers it's common that the magnets are a bit stronger than they really need to be IMO. The tiniest amount of attraction is all that is needed. So in your case I would guess it's simply the magnets are a bit too strong.

I did place some thin Teflon inside the shell and that helped a little bit. But also it seems like the magnetic attraction gets stronger or weaker depending on the direction the shell is rotated when placed over it. Not sure why this would be but it seems to be.

Lassen makes great gaffs but they're not all perfect. Out of the several items I've purchased from him I've had to send 2 of them back immediately because the inner coins would stick ever so slightly and get hung up in the shell. Both of these did not involve magnets by the way.
RatdeLabo
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of RatdeLabo
Ouhhhh Videoman, Lassen noted well your remark ;-)
https://coolotis.wordpress.com/2016/05/1......they-do/
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
Awesome. LabRateo is a Lassen fan now!
RatdeLabo
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of RatdeLabo
Elaine, there are so many things as you do not know about me. You are so used to speaking about everything without knowing anything ... lol
RatdeLabo
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of RatdeLabo
And then I have to watch Lassen to be able to give information to Jerome from BMC to copy him!!! lol lol lol lol!!!
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
Wow, personalized specially for you Rat.

Truly an honor.
RatdeLabo
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of RatdeLabo
Yes, I'm famous on Lassen' blog! Yeahhhh!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I just bought a Kennedy Triple Threat here and am having the same issue. I see no damage but I'm sending it to Todd for a looksee.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Triple threat question (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL