The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
irishmagic
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of irishmagic
I am interested in Luke Jermay's DVD. Does anyone know if it is available in the States? And if so where can it be purchased? thanks

MIKE
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Mike,

how come an Irishman is in the States ;-)

I expect the publishers, Alakazam would mail order to the states.

Their website is:

http://www.alakazam.co.uk

Alternately, why not contact Luke direct? He's a member of this list (under the name “Ramsey”) and a really nice guy.

Doug
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Peter Nardi at Alakazam is one of the most helpful and hard-working guys in the business. If you get in touch with him and explain what you want, I'm sure he'll do everything he can to make you a satisfied customer. And Luke's material is great, too.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
eebie376
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of eebie376
It's available from Hank Lee's website now. (http://www.magicfact.com)

I was going to drive up to Boston with my dad to get it today when I realized it was closed sundays *laughs*. I'm going next Saturday since we'll be up there anyway (saves on shipping).

Hope I helped.

Ian
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I got Luke's DVD recently and it's really good. It will clear up any questions you may have had from his book, 7 Deceptions. Some great impromtu material in there which is not easy to come by!
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
I can't regard Luke's work any higher. There are routines of his I now make a point of using in every show I'm doing, routines I couldn't live without.

Luke really is one of the rare artist's who have taken mentalism in a new direction, and who is going to get even better over time.

C.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
pcamel
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of pcamel
His ideas are the kind that create new ideas immediately and have made me say several times to myself, how else could I use this? Both of his books are prized possessions in my library.
GoranS
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of GoranS
But beware... the routines are superior but the quality on the taping is terrible, looks like and old videomovie...
ravi
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of ravi
That is right Goran.

I was really shocked when I had a first look at the DVD.

The routines are great but the production does not do that any justice.

I cannot understand this as Luke is one of the most talked about mentalists today.

A nicer setting and more spectators wouldn´t have been a problem.

But we all have bought the DVD for the content, not for the look, didn´t we?!?

RAVI
I N D R I D C O L E

DEAD AnD GONE
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
The value of these DVDs really isn't in the production its in the content. And with that in mind the DVD is extremely good value for the price. There are some suggestion principles at work that Luke doesn't even know that he is doing.

For example "don't lie to make me look good" is in effect a command! "lie.. make me look good". The unconscious doesn't process "don't".

Luke is talked about because of the principles and routines he is creating. The DVD delivers from that point of view.

These effects could be enhanced even more with the right presentation and interaction with a live audience.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
I really enjoyed the DVD and didn't see any problem with the production. I remember Luke telling me during summer he was a little rushed to make them, but I personally think it is great!

I especially like what the guy says when he is asked in For Andruzzi about things he enjoys doing Smile.

Highly recommend it to anyone who has read the book and is using it, or not in some cases, to see how the expert is using them. Anyone who hasn't read the books I recommend you get this (and the books) as you should already be kicking yourself that you haven't!

C.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
The material is fantastic, but am I the only one who feels his presentation is boring? During the exaplantion section it's hard not to yawn. Is it his voice that's monotonous? I'm not sure, but I feel he certainly lacks an element of carisma

No offense to Luke, as his thinking is brilliant and that's what counts!
All the best,
looch
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Karswell
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Karswell
I don’t think it’s a lack of charisma but his presentation is very much downplayed.
I can only say I MUCH prefer this style in mentalism to upbeat magicman.
The reactions from those on the stage are great – none of the ‘WOW how did you do THAT trick? Blah, blah…’ But much more of the genuinely, unsettling moments for them – you can see it on their faces, wonderful!!!
Production is pretty poor, like someone turned the brightness up way too high, but it doesn't really take anything away from it.

Nick.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Don't get me wrong ... some of the reactions on the DVD I believe are an indication of how good Luke's effects ARE, but I just feel his presentation could be a little more interesting, by that I don't mean "up-beat magician" style because that would be plain horrid! But perhaps a little more engaging for the others around and not just the spectator involved

I rememeber reading a while back that Luke felt the reactions on the DVD were weaker than ones he receives when he is performing off camera...I am not trying to criticise the reactions OR Luke's material, but personally feel the presentations should do the material justice, and at the moment I don't feel that.
All the best,
looch
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
This is the problem with suggestions; they are nice as a topping maybe to a regula,r strong effect, but as stand alone effects aren't suitable for commercial magic.
Someone had to say it.

Nimrod

P.S. 'Don't know Luke's presentation (although I like his thinking) but I know Knepper's. There is no real bewilderment, no real action. It's nice, and that's all.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
I don't think I quite understand what you're saying, Nimrod. Could you rephrase or elaborate on your point?
--Chris
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru
I think his books and thinking are brilliant. I do agree that there is a certain lack of reaction and things seem to not play very big. I think the two major reasons are:
1. He is not performing to a true live audience, only to two (and sometime only one) person. You don't get to see the audience react.
2. He is not performing a show, just showing all these effects the way he would do them as part of a true show. You would never do all these effects in a row and call it a show. A show would have maybe one or two suggestion effects build into it as part of the build up of the entire show.

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I say that effects that rely on suggestions alone aren't too impressive to the audience. It's taking the path of hypnosis, but not going all the way. See Kenton's presentation of The Ring, for example. Even the spectator is left cold (well, they took the "weakest" presentation to quote Kenton).

I agree with Haim's words: one or two of these effects in a show is okay (even if it won't be the most impressive thing you'll do, it will be different from the rest), but I've yet to see a killer pure suggestion effect (even when it works). Those effects are "pure mentalism" to us (performers), but to the audience, a good swami gimmick or blindfold routine are just stronger.

I really believe that NLP to us is what magic is to laymen, and this relation isn't necessary transitive.

Nimrod , Israel
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I think they are amongst the most powerful impromtu effects you can find. "For Andruzzi" can be done anywhere, anytime and is a classic IMHO. I reckon it could be very dramaticly built up in some situations.

And what you have to remember: these are principles that can be used to enhance other effects. Your imagination is the only limitation.
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru
In my post I was referring to the DVD alone and not to suggestive effects as a whole. I think suggestive effects can be built up to have a very big play on the audience. IMO most mentalism effects have to be built up anyway, and without a good presentation (and build up - I know I am repeating myself Smile ) do not play very big.
Suggestive effects more than other mentalism ones, are less visible most of the time (at least the ones I know).

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL