The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » S. H. Sharpe books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chiartguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of chiartguy
I've been looking for some of S. H. Sharpe's books and I have a few questions...

1) The primary text I'm searching for is "Neo Magic" (1946) or "Neo Magic Artistry" (2000). These aren't impossible to find for sale on the internet, but the prices are almost always north of $200 for the classic text and more than $350 for the Miracle Factory reprint. I know that Sharpe's "Art and Magic" was published by Miracle Factory as a regular edition for around $60 and as a limited edition for around $600 -- and it appears as if the same was done for "Neo Magic Artistry" with a regular edition selling for around $450 and a limited edition for around $2,500. Does anyone know if "Neo Magic Artistry" was published at a more affordable price point? I'd love to have this text in book form (although it looks like I might have to settle for the PDF version of the classic Neo Magic, available from Miracle Factory for $10).

2) The "Conjurers'... Secrets" series of books are also hard to come by at prices under $100 (especially "Conjurers' Psychological Secrets"). Any chance these were republished more recently than 1986-1991, collected somewhere, or made available as PDFs?
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
Neo Magic Artistry was available in a regular edition and the collectors edition. I don't remember the exact price but I think the original price was around $60. It certainly wasn't over $100. I don't remember the original price of the collector's edition but it was probably in the $300 range. It sold out very quickly and the regular edition took a bit longer to sell out but didn't last too long. The high prices you're seeing now is just a result of supply and demand.

As far as the Conjuror's Secrets series, I don't know the details but I believe at least some of the books have been reprinted over its lifetime. I did find this where they're listing all four books as a set for $388. I would confirm that they actually have them before ordering. I have a set of all four in a slip case with an index for all four books. I haven't seen that anywhere.

-Brian
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Per the Nov 2000 Genii review:

Sharpe's Neo-Magic was originally published in 1932 with a print run of 500.

The second edition in 1946 had 750 copies printed.

The 2000 edition by Miracle Factory is expanded with more content, including additional manuscripts by Sharpe, biographical information, etc. The regular edition was sold for $50. The limited edition consisted of 50 copies with covers individually hand-tinted with watercolors, and cost $125.

(Subscribing to Genii provides searchable access to the magazine's entire 75+ year online digital archive. Plus there are pretty great signup bonuses, especially for book lovers. See here: http://geniimagazine.com/subscribe-now/ )
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
I just noticed that I forgot to include the link where I found the set of four for $388.

http://tannensmagic.corecommerce.com/Con......rpe.html

Quote:
On Apr 28, 2016, ekins wrote:
Neo Magic Artistry was available in a regular edition and the collectors edition. I don't remember the exact price but I think the original price was around $60. It certainly wasn't over $100. I don't remember the original price of the collector's edition but it was probably in the $300 range. It sold out very quickly and the regular edition took a bit longer to sell out but didn't last too long. The high prices you're seeing now is just a result of supply and demand.

As far as the Conjuror's Secrets series, I don't know the details but I believe at least some of the books have been reprinted over its lifetime. I did find this where they're listing all four books as a set for $388. I would confirm that they actually have them before ordering. I have a set of all four in a slip case with an index for all four books. I haven't seen that anywhere.

-Brian
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1179 Posts

Profile of Chris
"Magic Artistry" is now available as PDF from Lybrary.com https://www.lybrary.com/magic-artistry-p-923020.html
Each of the three titles that make up "Magic Artistry" are also available individually. And "Neo Magic" is also available as PDF here https://www.lybrary.com/neomagic-p-922967.html
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » S. H. Sharpe books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL