The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reccomended ITR for a beginner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sophiamartin
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sophiamartin
Hello to everyone at the magic café!
I'm looking for an fairly cheap ITR. I use loops a fair bit but other than that have no experience in the world of ITR, I'm looking for something to centrifugal (good quality ITR, basic upkeep and routines taught in DVD). But I'm more interested in the levitating bill than any other, and from what I've read, this is not included on the DVD . I'm on a very tight budget and couldn't stretch to over £50. Are there any pros out there with suggestions for a suitable product?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Sophia
sophiamartin
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sophiamartin
*similar to centrifugal
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of StanleyRosenhouse
I don't know what you mean by centrifugal.
If you're new to IT, I would recommend starting with a static hookup.
Wooly nylon is a good cheap start.
There are many good DVD's teaching IT work..
Search the forum for good recommended DVDs
Stan
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2016, StanleyRosenhouse wrote:
I don't know what you mean by centrifugal.
If you're new to IT, I would recommend starting with a static hookup.
Wooly nylon is a good cheap start.
There are many good DVD's teaching IT work..
Search the forum for good recommended DVDs

"Centrifugal" is the commercial name of an ITR.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2016, sophiamartin wrote:
Hello to everyone at the magic café!
I'm looking for an fairly cheap ITR. I use loops a fair bit but other than that have no experience in the world of ITR, I'm looking for something to centrifugal (good quality ITR, basic upkeep and routines taught in DVD). But I'm more interested in the levitating bill than any other, and from what I've read, this is not included on the DVD . I'm on a very tight budget and couldn't stretch to over £50. Are there any pros out there with suggestions for a suitable product?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Sophia

Just a couple of rules of thumb - don't buy an ITR under $20. They are cheap for a reason. Don't pay too much for one. They are all based on the same principles. And, if they are asking for a lot of money, it will only be because of the material on the DVD, rather than because the reel itself is "special" in any way. You should aim for a price between $20 - $35. Buy one from a reputable Magic dealer, rather than eBay.
sophiamartin
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sophiamartin
Thanks a lot for the help, I will bear this in mind!
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Sophia,

Welcome to the magic Café. A great place to start is Centrifugal (DVD and Gimmick) by Magick Balay and The Blue Crown. This DVD is a great education to the basic workings of an itr. It covers the proper way to use an itr as well as how to repair it, which you will need to know. I bought this year's ago and at that time it included a good quality itr. If you look it up on line or contact a magic dealer they could provide more information. Good luck.

Mark
sophiamartin
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sophiamartin
Thanks for the advice white oak! Centrifugal looks great, I have narrowed it down to this, Fearson's Master Levitation System and Web Spinner. Centrifugal looks the best, but is also the most expensive. Does it include teaching on floating bills/cards?
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I think there may have been changes to the DVD since I originally purchased it. It is best to check with your local magic shop or perhaps Penguin Magic. Good luck.
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
677 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
You can get really cheap ones on ebay, a bit noisy but perfect for practing with, I struggle with them too.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
ITRs are very frustrating. But the people that use them and go through a lot of trial and error tend to stick with them for a while. Most ...I would say end up in drawers.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Sophia, I have no idea what you guys are talking about but welcome
MarloFan93
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of MarloFan93
If you at using Loops for your IT work I would recommend The Guerrilla's Guiide to Loops on Ellusnist website. It is 3 volumes and they all teach different effects and each by a different magician so the best thing to do is check out the link and read through the effects and see which ones you think fit your style and grab one of those videos.

http://www.ellusionist.com/guerilla-guide-to-loops.html
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Sophia:

Go with the web spinner to start. This will teach you a very simple method of stripping thread. It will teach you simple levitation techniques. Fearson's master levitation is just a different way of applying the web spinner - If you can't figure it out, PM me. I spent many frustrating hours trying to strip thread, now the web spinner makes it a snap. The ITR can come later, it's just a method of reeling in a static piece of thread. Take your time and do your homework, there's a lot of free advice on the internet. Thread work is fun, but it can also be a pain in the rear.

Jim
sophiamartin
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sophiamartin
Thanks a lot Jim!
I think I will purchase the web spinner, do you recommend the dvd?

Many
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Can't go wrong with the DVD.

Jim
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
61 Posts

Profile of A Magic Cafe User
Quote:
On May 18, 2016, MazingMandy wrote:
You can get really cheap ones on eBay, a bit noisy but perfect for practicing with, I struggle with them too.

I was browsing through eBay but didn't find any 'cheap Itr's'. What price range is 'cheap' and could you please provide some links?
Thanks,

- A Magic Café User
- Just my humble opinion

The more you know, the more you know - Brainpop
magicianbrady
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
I started with a Sam Dalal micro ITR which was pretty good.
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
61 Posts

Profile of A Magic Cafe User
Thanks!

- A Magic Café User
- Just my humble opinion

The more you know, the more you know - Brainpop
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reccomended ITR for a beginner (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL