The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Organic Choice by Ryan Stock (GIMMICK + DOWNLOAD) (55 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
ADAFruit sells a variety of thermal printers in different sizes, completed, in kit form, hackable, etc. The mini kits seem to be the easiest entry level option since it comes with everything ready to go. Let me know if you need help finding it. It's a bit more expensive than the auction site, but the resolution is out of this world. You can use it to print all sorts of things. I was considering getting it to use at my desk at work. I have all sorts of plans on how to get my money out of it as another useful nerdy gadget. Combine it with the receipt forging website someone posted earlier here and we're really in business.

I too have been considering purchasing this and I think I will make the plunge after some thought. I also really liked the suggestions to look into Atlas and Osterlind's PA work and I really want to play around with making some of my own A******s. Prodigal has tons of advice for doing just that and for really selling the heck out of this kind of routine. If you come across as fishing or it feels like you're asking too many questions, you're going about it all wrong. One of the best pieces of advice in Atlas's work has to do with avoiding getting even two misses in a row. I won't reveal his techniques for neutralizing misses into hits or neutral patter here. You owe it to yourself to invest in the book. I feel like a moron for never looking into this technique before. I assumed it wasn't for me. I think I could actually put together all kinds of other awesome receipts and routines ideas involving "mom & pop" bookstores, record stores and other kinds of speciality shops.

My gravest concern is this: Does creating or utilizing a prop detract from what used to be one of the best benefits from PA routines? It, as others have noted, transforms the routine into more of a book test. I have nothing against book tests, but just about all of my other routines involve props of some kind. One of the reasons I adore billet work and especially Bob's handlings is because paper and pencils feel as close to prop free a I could get. PA essentially involves invisible props, and one of the biggest draws to me was the thought that it could really look like "the real deal" if done well. It's clean as a whistle if you handle it right and people should effectively mis-remember the experience to an almost legendary status. I will always have gadget lust for peek wallets and impression boards and clever gimmicks, but, it feels kind of wrong to bring a prop back into a routine that otherwise finally freed you of them.

I think this is a pretty neat execution of this type of routine, but I have definitely noted the potential issues from this thread. I am confident I could overcome each and every one of them, but I was curious how other people felt about the nature of bringing a prop into an otherwise ostensibly propless PA routine. I hope I can help anyone who is currently fretting over the technical nature of these receipts. Let me know if I can help point anyone in the right direction. /good god I am a longwinded dude
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
For those using the receipts, you can in a pinch use regular copy paper and after cutting out the copied receipt, rub the backside together every chance you get. This will make the paper real worn, ie; worn out dollar bill. Wont be exactly like thermal, but better then a new copied receipt. Just a thought.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Got my receipts today.There kindy hard to look at.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
You can blow them up and copy them over...
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I took a pic of it on my phone. Omited the tax and the store name.
Show it to the spec and have them choose and item and put your phone away and get to it!

Easy peasy
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Wow, nice Mesh, nice!
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Gittyup!!
Works like a charm. Soon as they choose an item the evidence is gone.
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2016, roguewave wrote:
I was curious how other people felt about the nature of bringing a prop into an otherwise ostensibly propless PA routine.

Those were my thoughts exactly. If you're doing it as "Mental Magic", then by all means just bring out the receipt and say "Pick an Item". On the other hand, I feel that justifying the introduction of this item can make or break the ultimate spontaneity of the effect and either place a lot of heat on it or make it fit in ... dare I say it? Organically.

I posted it earlier but again... I actually carry the original receipt I got with the effect and then one I made up and just have them folded in my wallet like I would normally do after visiting the store. I have another effect I do with a dollar bill and as I reach into my wallet for the bill I see the two receipts and pull them out to see what they are with the line "Why do I save so much stuff I don't need!" and I'll leave them sitting on the table like I'm going to throw them away later. At some point I get the idea to do a word reveal and I'm looking for something that has random words on it. I glance at the receipts and get the idea that they might be perfect for this and have someone select one. I know that seems like a lot of trouble to go to but my goal is to create a seamless way of introducing what is inherently an odd item into the routine where there is no heat on it at all. After the selection I will usually take it back and look for a trashcan but not seeing one close enough,, casually place in my pocket to throw away later. Details are so important to me and I think it's very clever effect but I have to seamlessly get it in and out of the spectators mind without any attachment. That's my take on it!
Ray Pierce
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I like the thoughts of that Ray.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yes Ray, it comes so natural and matter of fact that way. If it doesn't seem natural and on the fly, might as well just tell them you are doing a trick and after, how you did it.... Smile
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Im going to use this in a show tomorrow.
Pre-lead into a booktest.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Would love to see video Bowers!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I would But we won't be filming the show.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Oh okay, I have two strolling gigs tomorrow in extreme summer heat. I plan on breaking this out along with AREA....with my second strolling two hours, good time to break it in during paid performance.

I think I said it before....I did forget one of the words the other night for unpaid performance. I recovered but still.....years of goof ups I have a lot of recovery lines up my sleeve. Smile

I refuse to use a crib sheet. Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Both gigs went well and Organic was a hit! I love using a PA while I can provide the disconnect switching to a book test method afterward.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Decomposed,

Great to hear!

kj
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Both gigs went well and Organic was a hit! I love using a PA while I can provide the disconnect switching to a book test method afterward.

My show went very well also.Did the routine
about the same way as Decomposed did.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Great to hear Bowers! I used it a lot Saturday...love having something that may take a permanent place in my strolling arsenal. Light in the pocket real estate also.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Very true Decomposed.A great little effect for sure.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
LOL, lawnmower fix it man came over. Talked about me being on the tele. Kept asking me to read his mind so I gave the receipt to his wife and when done, he asked me if it was body language. Now the receipt has oil stains on it. Even better. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Organic Choice by Ryan Stock (GIMMICK + DOWNLOAD) (55 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL