The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitation While holding a difficult trick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
Hello illusionists. I'm mostly a street magician and contact juggler. But I want to do something big. There's a trick where I hold 8 75mm balls in a cube formation. It looks like this http://goo.gl/36tG35

It's an absurdly difficult trick. I would like to hold this trick and then actually float off the ground while holding the trick. I don't even know where to begin looking for information on this kind of effect.

I've looked at The One levitation but it looks like you actually have to balance a bit which is going to be a big ask while holding an 8 ball cube. Any suggestions or directions to go in?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22576 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you can do it seated, then look into the stool levitation.

I don't know of any levitation you could do on the street. So you would have to get with an illusion builder to see if you and he can come up with something. This would be very expensive. Even if something would be available, it is still very very expensive.
Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
I'm more thinking of this one for a stage show, I'm looking at getting into cruise ships and want some stuff that can play bigger
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22576 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Their is not illusion to my knowledge for a one man rising effect.

The only time I seen this was there is a lady from Europe that does a routine while rising, with a silver ball and linking rings. It is her and here husbands illusion, I can't remember her name but it is on YouTube.

Most Cruise ship magician are back small and play big. The shipping would take all your salary. To stay working, there are not to many one ship magician any more, most ship hope, and with an illusion that would not be possible.

I suggest you research working Cruise ships. The you are thinking about, would cost more then $10,000 to have built. That is if it even can be made as you describe.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 2, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Their is not illusion to my knowledge for a one man rising effect.

The only time I seen this was there is a lady from Europe that does a routine while rising, with a silver ball and linking rings. It is her and here husbands illusion, I can't remember her name but it is on YouTube.

Most Cruise ship magician are back small and play big. The shipping would take all your salary. To stay working, there are not to many one ship magician any more, most ship hope, and with an illusion that would not be possible.

I suggest you research working Cruise ships. The you are thinking about, would cost more then $10,000 to have built. That is if it even can be made as you describe.


I hate contradicting anyone, but sorry to say I must correct you here: I have cruised for 25 years. You never pay for your own shipping. All your equipment is sent out to meet the ship by the cruise company. They even return your equipment back home once the contract has ended. And obviously, they pick up the expense.

FYI - just some info on my experience, I've worked for Carnival, P&O, and Cunard (2 world cruises on the old QE2 back in the day).
Image
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1108 Posts

Profile of thomasR
You could look into this....
http://www.magellanlevitation.com
You can't rise while holding the trick, but you could probably incorporate it into a a routine.

Also... Pick up Andrew Maynes video on levitation. It's available as a download. There is one method that would most likely work for you. And the other methods may give you some ideas. It's only $5 as a download, which is a steel. Seriously send him more money! Ha. The method I'm thinking of from the video requires ideal performance conditions.
The link is here...
http://andrew-mayne-mischief-magic.mysho......download
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 1, 2016, Stephen Wilbury wrote:
Hello illusionists. I'm mostly a street magician and contact juggler. But I want to do something big. There's a trick where I hold 8 75mm balls in a cube formation. It looks like this http://goo.gl/36tG35

It's an absurdly difficult trick. I would like to hold this trick and then actually float off the ground while holding the trick. I don't even know where to begin looking for information on this kind of effect.

I've looked at The One levitation but it looks like you actually have to balance a bit which is going to be a big ask while holding an 8 ball cube. Any suggestions or directions to go in?


As Bill said, as far as I know there isn't currently an existing 1-Man illusion where you can just sit down and you start to rise up, with your hands free. All existing levitations require you to either hold a pole (or 2); or hold a curtain to mask how the levitation is done.

If you were working with someone else, they could control the illusion, and you would act the part of the assistant. You could therefore consider using one of the cruise ships Dancers, and bring them into the act. Get them to perform the illusion while you do your juggling. Many cruising magicians do this - bring a Dancer into the act, to function as an assistant. Even I've done it a couple of times when my assistant has walked out on a contract mid season.
Image
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The Andre Kole levitation, where he is sitting in a lotus position surrounded by a "ring of fire" would probably work for you, IF you can contact Andre Kole and get permission, etc.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1979-Press-Photo-......Z8ZXCDtZ

Then again, how much do you weigh? You might be able to redesign a Super-X on a budget. You could use Andre Kole's idea of sitting on it in a lotus position and have an assistant hand you the balls one by one. If you can just gather up the balls, you could bring them up on your "lap" in a bowl and do the whole thing yourself, but you would still need someone to supervise stage management while you are getting into position and during the float, and again to get down again.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22576 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is the bar stool levitation, $9,500.

http://theceswebsite.com/catalog/magic/barstool/





This is only one way of doing it, I guess this is because this guy was on AGT show.
Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
My initial thought is an electric motor with an invisible tungsten wire while I have a harness under my clothes. Or something similar to the things they use to make Peter Pan fly in stage productions
Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
Also that Andre Kole thing looks ace, I might just drop him a line.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I sent you a PM with a very simple way.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Quote:
On May 2, 2016, thomasR wrote:
You could look into this....
http://www.magellanlevitation.com
You can't rise while holding the trick, but you could probably incorporate it into a a routine.

Also... Pick up Andrew Maynes video on levitation. It's available as a download. There is one method that would most likely work for you. And the other methods may give you some ideas. It's only $5 as a download, which is a steel. Seriously send him more money! Ha. The method I'm thinking of from the video requires ideal performance conditions.
The link is here...
http://andrew-mayne-mischief-magic.mysho......download


I don't know if that will work because you have to handle the cloth as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitation While holding a difficult trick (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL