The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sub trunk wood tickness (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
318 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Hi all :

Im going to build a sub trunk and I was thinking of using 1.2 cm marine ply for the sides and bottom (bottom will rest on the floor) and 2 cm marine play for top And sides of top (top will be like a trunk top not a plain wood plank like the packing crate style).

Will you think it will be sturdy enough or do I need ticker ply? The the trunk is going to break apart for packing.

thanks in advance for all the help

Alex
Alex
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 3, 2016, Nachtzehrer wrote:
Hi all :

Im going to build a sub trunk and I was thinking of using 1.2 cm marine ply for the sides and bottom (bottom will rest on the floor) and 2 cm marine play for top And sides of top (top will be like a trunk top not a plain wood plank like the packing crate style).

Will you think it will be sturdy enough or do I need ticker ply? The the trunk is going to break apart for packing.

thanks in advance for all the help

Alex

That sounds about right. You could put extra braces in the sides of the base by using quadrant moulding. That will cut down on the weight, but still give it extra strength.
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
318 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Thanks for your reply.

Anyone else that wouldn'nt mind adding some light to the subject??
Alex
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22576 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is the Paul Osborne plans for what he calls "The Keyed Sub-Trunk", it has a lid like you describe you want on yours.

He offers download plans or printed and mailed plans.

http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/keyedsubtrunk.html

Here are plans for the regular Substitution Trunk using planks.

http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/subtrun.html
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
It sounds about right. As long as the trunk always sits directly on the floor and as long as it is always broken down for packing and not used to fill up and haul props.
euroillusion
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of euroillusion
You will need some bracing such as crossbars or aluminum angle for support. 2cm ply for the top will be very heavy. Maybe you can use something thinner but with aluminum angle supports.
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
318 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Thanks. So you think 1.5 cm for sides and top should be ok?
Alex
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 9, 2016, Nachtzehrer wrote:
Thanks. So you think 1.5 cm for sides and top should be ok?

20mm/2cm thick plywood is about the minimum to hold the weight of a man standing on it. So, if you want to save on weight by reducing the thickness of the plywood, you need to add support in other ways. That is why euroillusion recommends aluminium extrusion as a reinforcer.
euroillusion
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of euroillusion
Tally_NSA is correct. Even for the sides. At 15mm, you will still require corner supports (whether lumber or aluminum angle), to hold the sides together and hold the weight of the lid. Remember, at some point in a Sub Trunk, there are two people's weight on different parts of the lid.
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
318 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Thanks guys for all the help
Alex
jeffl
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of jeffl
I would suggest you might want to consider oriented strand board (OSB) for its superior weight-bearing qualities (it's widely used in construction but is found occasionally in furniture according to Wikipedia). It's not generally "attractive" so you would want to think in terms of finishes other than varnish or stain. Depending on where you live it might be called something else or may not even be available, but it would clearly be superior to plywood in terms of strength to weight. Don't have a lot of expertise with it to offer but you're dealing with an issue quite close to one I've been wrestling with a bit recently.
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
318 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Thanks. I will try to find that board
Alex
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sub trunk wood tickness (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL