The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FINN JON LEGACY from EMC (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SOUM
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of SOUM
From EMC mail:
HIGHLY excited about this

ESSENTIAL MAGIC COLLECTION
presents

Finn Jon LEGACY
FINN JON shares his most kept secrets with the magic community!

World Release on the 16th of May!

PRE ORDER TODAY directly from EMC and get Loops® for FREE!
SOUM
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of SOUM
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Or can just wait until it's avalilable

Instead of spending your cash now

Let's face it when it comes to pre order EMC hardly have a good track record !
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
I have watched 1/2 of this DVD. Finn Jon is beyond compare as a magical thinker and technician. So much that he does is not easy to duplicate by the average magician. My only problem with this DVD is that he does not use a visible "thread" when demonstrating effects with thread. It would have made it much more meaningful. Also, like Andres Segovia, great performers are not always great teachers. His style of performing will certainly not fit most acts and outside of the technical aspects of his magic, will never be duplicated.

Arthur
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Another huge disappointment with this DVD is the bubble formula that Finn Jon uses. In many ways it was one of the reasons I wanted this. Well guess what? It is impossible to find the "soap" that he recommends and uses. I have searched everywhere including Europe. It is not anywhere to be found (at least the particular product that he says to use from a number of others that the company has). Does anyone at EMC check these things prior to manufacturing and selling an expensive DVD to the consumer? All in all, I must say that this is not worth the price paid and it will be only a matter of time before I put it up for sale, here or on the surplus magic Facebook site. I am getting a bit tired of the hyperbole that is used to sell these DVDs and although EMC has produced many fine products in the past, I would think twice before spending my money on future products.

Arthur
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
You've searched everywhere on two continents in less than 24 hours?

Impressive.

Maybe you could ask Finn Jon? If not directly, then through EMC?
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
On May 25, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
You've searched everywhere on two continents in less than 24 hours?

Impressive.

Maybe you could ask Finn Jon? If not directly, then through EMC?

I have searched, ordered and received soap 3 times. None of them worked. It has not been for 24 hours, it has been for more than a week. I got this DVD 2 weeks ago and yes, I did send a note to EMC regarding this. I don't know how to contact Finn Jon. By the way, there is this thing called the internet that makes it fairly easy to search more than 2 continents in 24 hours if you so chose..
Arthur
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Thanks, I've heard of the internet.

I'm also aware that not everything is online, and that it's entirely possible that an elderly European magician may not buy his materials by clicking a link.
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
On May 25, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Thanks, I've heard of the internet.

I'm also aware that not everything is online, and that it's entirely possible that an elderly European magician may not buy his materials by clicking a link.

This may be true, but if you had the DVD, you would know that this is one type of a brand name product which should be available on line. If it is not even listed one the manufacturers web site, then it seems to me odd that it may be available in a small Norwegian shop. There is even a blurry photo of the container. Unfortunately, for some of us who live an hour's drive to the nearest mall, we need to purchase things on line. Finn Jon is only 3 years older than me and I don't consider him elderly or incapacitated. Either way, EMC should have checked a number of things prior to the release of this.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Martello,
They changed the formula of the soap. Finn Jon says he bought it 20 years ago. He probably bought a ton of it when he was satisfied with his bubbles. You can see here, people are not happy about the change. http://www.productreview.com.au/p/palmol......ner.html

If you really need a good bubble juice, Losander sells premixed. Lasts a long time.

Personally I have never found a venue that is possible to do the bubbles and Loops. The slightest wind current and it's ruined. What? Turn off the AC? That is not going to happen. These days, control of a venue is almost impossible.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
On May 25, 2016, Xiqual wrote:
Martello,
They changed the formula of the soap. Finn Jon says he bought it 20 years ago. He probably bought a ton of it when he was satisfied with his bubbles. You can see here, people are not happy about the change. http://www.productreview.com.au/p/palmol......ner.html

If you really need a good bubble juice, Losander sells premixed. Lasts a long time.

Personally I have never found a venue that is possible to do the bubbles and Loops. The slightest wind current and it's ruined. What? Turn off the AC? That is not going to happen. These days, control of a venue is almost impossible.
James

Thanks for that information James. I was not going to display the soap used but since you have, II can say that I ordered and received a number of this type of shampoo which was closely pictured to the one shown in Legacy. Finn Jon's solution is "pinkish" in colors he states, but the formula I received was white and when mixed as he suggests, does not produce bubbles half as nice as standard store bought bubble solution. What is annoying is that it was presented this way on a video made only a little over a month ago. If the formula was changed and Finn Jon is the only person in the world with a supply of the old formula, it should have been stated on the DVD instead of spreading false information. I mean, they even show a photo of it. The formula was changed almost 2 years ago according to comments on your post. I have tried Losanders solution and although it is similar in color to Finn Jon's, I don't think it is all that great either. Another reason why I was hoping to finally find something that worked. Guess it's time to give this up. Now what will I do with that "Cigar" that I punched from Finn Jon many years ago?

Arthur
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I love Finn Jon. He is my all time favorite. I was really sad to see they did not explain his reel. The pocket anytime reel and the floating sphere reel. Just a glossing over. Most of the material is covered in much greater detail on his DVDs that I already own.
James

Quote:
On May 26, 2016, Martello wrote:
Quote:
On May 25, 2016, Xiqual wrote:
Martello,

James

Thanks for that information James. I was not going to display the soap used but since you have, II can say that I ordered and received a number of this type of shampoo which was closely pictured to the one shown in Legacy. Finn Jon's solution is "pinkish" in colors he states, but the formula I received was white and when mixed as he suggests, does not produce bubbles half as nice as standard store bought bubble solution. What is annoying is that it was presented this way on a video made only a little over a month ago. If the formula was changed and Finn Jon is the only person in the world with a supply of the old formula, it should have been stated on the DVD instead of spreading false information. I mean, they even show a photo of it. The formula was changed almost 2 years ago according to comments on your post. I have tried Losanders solution and although it is similar in color to Finn Jon's, I don't think it is all that great either. Another reason why I was hoping to finally find something that worked. Guess it's time to give this up. Now what will I do with that "Cigar" that I punched from Finn Jon many years ago?

Arthur
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
On a side note, I recall that Finn Jon owned a wonderful brick and mortar magic shop I visited multiple times in Oslo over 20 years ago.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Did you meet him? That would be fantastic.
James

Quote:
On May 26, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
On a side note, I recall that Finn Jon owned a wonderful brick and mortar magic shop I visited multiple times in Oslo over 20 years ago.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Nope James, unfortunately I had not Smile - I think this was the place but I think now it is mail order:

http://www.egelo.no/
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I just received a VERY helpful correction to my post (and poor memory!):

Hi Brett,

surfing @ Magic Café found your Finn Jon Legacy comments, hope you do not
mind to correct the comment of who owned the magic shop.

Finn is a good friend of mine some 20 years, want to correct that he never has
owned a magic shop in Oslo (or anywhere:).

In Oslo the legendary magic shop dealer/owner was Egelo since 1970´s, Egelo also was a
fine magician (have passed away now).

Finn of course visited there and was a good friend of Egelo.

A bit more about the Legendary Finn Jon; Finn performed in Crazy Horse Paris more than ten years, before that
some years in 1970´s at London Revue Shows and in those years he met several times London Magic dealer Ken Brooke,
who published several Finn´s routines like Floating Silver Stick, Bolt of Lightning, Esoteric (super Haunted Deck variation).
During his London years Finn also met Fred Kaps and make Ken and Fred wonder Finn´s version of the really Floating Cork.
From 1990´s and "still going strong ” Finn performs as a regular Star Artist in the famous German varietés (Variety Theatres),
like Tigerpalast in Frankfurt and Hansa Theater Variéte in Hamburg.

He is really the Legend, do yourself a favor; Purchase his Legacy DVDs.

Sincerely,

Timo
Finland
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1162 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Have your chance to win LEGACY by Finn Jon today absolutely free. Over on the Murphy's FB page and Instagram feed we're on Day 10 of our 12 Days of Christmas giveaways. Today's gift is LEGACY and Inner Circle by Yigal Mesika. Enough chit chat, here ya go. http://facebook.com/MurphysMagicSupplies......&theater

Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BONPmEwDjgO/......hysmagic

Good luck and happy holidays guys!
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1162 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
You still have time to enter for our Day 9 giveaway. We'll announce the winner of LEGACY and Inner Circle later this afternoon around 4pm pacific time.

http://www.facebook.com/MurphysMagicSupp......&theater
ERRN
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ERRN
I have been trying to find a sphere which is comparable to the one Finn uses in the video. Does anyone have any suggestions?
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
You are unlikely to find this kind of sphere readily available. For a time (back in the 70's) you could find this kind of sphere when it was provided with the Tannen's version of Astrosphere.
The ball could be removed from the Astrosphere set up and used as per Finn Jon. But more recent versions of 'Astrosphere' include a 'hard' plastic ball (not shiny silver mylar film) the looks similar, but weighs much more!

In an effort to get a sphere for myself,I recently started crafting a 5" ball from blank newsprint mixed with glue in a paper mache' creation.
Finn Jon in his video, says that his ball weighs less than 9 grams, which is 1/3 of an ounce!
I managed to craft a paper cache ball that weighs 11 grams... still remarkably light!
Try it!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FINN JON LEGACY from EMC (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL