The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Sun Magic (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

luigi & co
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of luigi & co
There was a great magic shop in Phoenix, Arizona years ago. It was owned and operated by Jack Sutherland. He was friends with all the big name magicians of that era. One of his best friends was Harry Anderson. Anyone have a story about Sun Magic
Luigi
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Luigi,
I have a few of the catalogs and I made a few purchases from him.The scuttlebut is he was killed by someone a few years ago. If anyone can fill in the details feel free.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Ken Sibley
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Ken Sibley
I heard he died. I don't know how. But, I remember in the mid 1980's, selling all the magic equipment I had to Jack (it's a long story). He told me, "Once the Magic Bug bites, it never goes away. You'll be back." He was right. After about a year, and receiving his list, I was back again. Starting all over. I moved to Louisiana and lost track of him. I hated to hear he died.
Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Involve me and I understand!
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Although I had moved away from Phoenix by the time Jack opened up Sun Magic, I have many fond memories of him at Bert Easley's fun shop. Jack was a wealth of information and encouragement, and I've never regretted a single purchase he steered me to.

He also had a deliciously wicked sense of humor.

The news of his death saddens me.
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
It was a dark day for me to learn that Jack was murdered. His advice and help was very important to me at a very crucial time in my development. I really do miss SUN MAGIC and JACK. God Bless you Jack.
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
177 Posts

Profile of natswift
I am an amateur magician; WAAAAY back in 1988 I was on a bus in Phoenix and saw the sign "Sun Magic" I got off at the next stop and walked in. Curious as I had done simple things from books I got from the library.

Before walking into Sun Magic I never knew such an amazing thing existed in the world. I don't know who helped me that fateful day but whoever it was sold me 4 things.
1. A Svengali Deck
2. A trick by Harry Anderson called "I'll Name your Card" or something like that; consequently I still show this trick to this day!
3. A copy of Henry Hays Amateur Magicians Handbook
4. and a copy of Bobo's Modern Coin magic. Both books I still have.

Anway, just taking a trip down memory lane and came across this post and wanted to put in how the people at Sun Magic helped propel me into the world of close up magic.
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
Studio9HDR
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Studio9HDR
Im bummed! I have been getting back into Illusion and my first thought was, Lets find and buy from Sun Magic.
I lived in Phoenix from 90-93 at the age of 18+ I found Sun Magic and was welcomed to a wild world of great amazement.
They had full size disappearing stage made of acrylic to look as if it were transparent.
I had no idea he knew Harry Anderson or I have forgotten. WOW! I bought my needle through the arm there.
He turned me on to simple hand slight starting off with the 3 Card Color Monty.
I remember this old jewelers case that you pushed the button up or down and it rotated all of this amazing magic.
I bought scotch and Soda and so so much coin magic. I could of bought from anywhere online, but now back in Oregon
all these years, I wanted to support Sun Magic. I swear I went there almost every weekend for a year even when I couldn't
afford much. small and amazing place.

p.s. I created a few of my own illusions and getting ready to sell. I have to say Sun Magic was a huge HUGE influence in
my love of magic.
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Sun Magic was great !
Been there several times.
It used to be an old house and the back of the house was facing an alley.
THAT rear entrance was were they hosted a Seance one or twice a week depending on if it was October, or not.
They mailed a catalog as I am posting here.
Jack Sutherland was KILLED by ________________ ???
(Probably a magician since it was carefully planned with no clues !)
Everyone that worked there was investigated and . . . whoever it was . . was a good liar and passed their elementary quizzing.
ANYWAY, Denny's Restaurant was ONE BLOCK AWAY on the corner, and it's still there !
Magi's from everywhere that were local and especially from out of town went over to Denny's to sit in the big round booth in the corner and Magic Jammed till all hours of the night, after the magic shop closed for the evening.
Lots and lots of coffee, (poor waitresses !) everyone magicing, forcing her to pick cards and guess where the little ball was.
Magic at Denny's. Almost every weekend night there were Magi's in that round corner booth.
I was there a few times myself and I was from out-of-town.
716 East Camelback Road. There is a Lexus dealer there now, bought most of the block.
Photo of catalog.
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Photo too big.
I will try a smaller photo here. . . .

Click here to view attached image.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2023, Doctor Zolar wrote:
...Sun Magic was great !
Been there several times.
It used to be an old house and the back of the house was facing an alley.
THAT rear entrance was were they hosted a Seance one or twice a week depending on if it was October, or not...

I think it was Lee Earle who "performed" as the leader of the Seance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Sun Magic (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL