The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Position Impossible by Brent Braun (ACAAN) (48 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..10~11~12 [Next]
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
What I like about the demo is that the cards are shuffled.
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Quote:
On May 14, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
John,

One note: You probably already thought about this, but given you can't hand out the deck for examination, I think you should be prepared to put the deck away and do something else. I would follow this up with something like a coin trick and plan on keeping a second deck in my pocket.

KJ

Haven't performed this yet but I'm not sure I agree with you on this.
Not as far as switching out the deck but this is a very strong effect and given the presentation and build up I'm feeling this effect should be a closer.
Maybe start with a regular deck effect, then a coin trick and switch in for this to end.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The trick looks amazing but I'm not sure about the presentation. It's not that it's bad or anything, I just to don't get the point. Is it a coincidence that the card is at the number? It's not really a prediction. Did the magician cause the card to be a that location? Did the spectator somehow have magical powers to know where the card is? Maybe I'm missing something. Help me out here.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Quote:
On May 14, 2016, Kaliix wrote:
Did the spectator somehow have magical powers to know where the card is? Maybe I'm missing something. Help me out here.

Yes, you can state that the spectator (or a different spectator) will find the selected card.
And you say this after the cards are out of your hands.
They apparently do find it (by selecting the number it is located at) and then you give them all the credit.

Basically in the same vein as the ol' "I'm not going to find your card, you're going to find it" plot.
Of course this could always change because you may want to develop your own unique presentation.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On May 14, 2016, On The Offbeat wrote:
Quote:
John,

One note: You probably already thought about this, but given you can't hand out the deck for examination, I think you should be prepared to put the deck away and do something else. I would follow this up with something like a coin trick and plan on keeping a second deck in my pocket.

KJ

Haven't performed this yet but I'm not sure I agree with you on this.
Not as far as switching out the deck but this is a very strong effect and given the presentation and build up I'm feeling this effect should be a closer.
Maybe start with a regular deck effect, then a coin trick and switch in for this to end.

Yes, this could be a good closer.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I intend to perform this with more of mentalism slant. More specifically, after the card has been selected, cards shuffled etc., I would slowly wave my hand over the spread cards like I'm getting some kind of impression. Then I would explain to the audience that I'm sensing the card's position within the spread. Turning to a nearby spectator you explain that you're going to project a specific number into their subconscious. "When I snap my fingers, please announce the number that immediately comes to your mind." Naturally, I haven't formally scripted the routine yet but you get the basic premise. If you've ever seen Richard Osterlind's brilliant "Hands Off" from his book "Six Shooter" then you understand how it would be framed.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
John,

I agree with you. I have so many CAAN versions and so many of them involve quite a bit of work to get them right, or, there is a gimmick involved and the routine isn't any better than my impromptu CAAN (Which isn't that difficult BTW). This one, however, while it involves a gimmicked deck and you can't repeat it or use the deck as a normal deck, is SO easy and yet SO powerful!

If I am performing casually with a regular deck, I'll do my impromptu version, but if I'm going to perform prepared, I'm bringing this one.

KJ

I'll do a few card tricks, put the deck away, do a few other things then I'll do this last. I never hand anything out for inspection anyway as it it blows the flow of the gig.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
The trick looks amazing but I'm not sure about the presentation. It's not that it's bad or anything, I just to don't get the point. Is it a coincidence that the card is at the number? It's not really a prediction. Did the magician cause the card to be a that location? Did the spectator somehow have magical powers to know where the card is? Maybe I'm missing something. Help me out here.

All of the above. You are giving the spec the chance to be the special mind. Let the audience be the judge.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
See and I think that it muddles the effect that way. The effect can't be everything or it leads to confusion. In watching Brett's routine, I was very impressed with the method but confused as to what the effect actually was. Didn't Vernon say confusion is not magic (or something like that)?

Quote:
On May 14, 2016, John C wrote:
Quote:

All of the above. You are giving the spec the chance to be the special mind. Let the audience be the judge.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
See and I think that it muddles the effect that way. The effect can't be everything or it leads to confusion. In watching Brett's routine, I was very impressed with the method but confused as to what the effect actually was. Didn't Vernon say confusion is not magic (or something like that)?

Quote:
Quote:

To me the way he did it was pretty simple and direct. To me. Who am I? Nobody really.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On May 14, 2016, Jared wrote:
I intend to perform this with more of mentalism slant. More specifically, after the card has been selected, cards shuffled etc., I would slowly wave my hand over the spread cards like I'm getting some kind of impression. Then I would explain to the audience that I'm sensing the card's position within the spread. Turning to a nearby spectator you explain that you're going to project a specific number into their subconscious. "When I snap my fingers, please announce the number that immediately comes to your mind." Naturally, I haven't formally scripted the routine yet but you get the basic premise. If you've ever seen Richard Osterlind's brilliant "Hands Off" from his book "Six Shooter" then you understand how it would be framed.

I like it! I'm sure your audience will love it.

KJ
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Quote:

One comment/question: I am thinking that I am not going to mark my deck in any way. I think the "proving" can be done in a different way that doesn't require a marked deck. I know no one will notice the markings, I'm just thinking it isn't necessary. Anyone who has this probably knows what I'm talking about. Comments?

KJ

Can't be sure how you are planning on "proving", so it's hard to say. But I do like Brent's methods. I don't think the markings are not completely necessary but more like a security blanket just to get confirmation at points throughout the routine. I will almost certainly use them but if others don't need them then more power to you. I think Brent's thoughts were that they just allow you more confidence to concentrate on the presentation so what's the downside if nobody is aware of them.
Also, if you shuffle the deck like Brent does then I really think it is helpful to have them because it's always possible a stray card could have slipped out of place during the shuffle. But of course it is up to each performer to weigh the advantages/disadvantages and decide for themselves.
jackaboy
View Profile
Veteran user
universities aren't interested in my
302 Posts

Profile of jackaboy
This may be one of the best card tricks I've seen in a while
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
Quote:

One comment/question: I am thinking that I am not going to mark my deck in any way. I think the "proving" can be done in a different way that doesn't require a marked deck. I know no one will notice the markings, I'm just thinking it isn't necessary. Anyone who has this probably knows what I'm talking about. Comments?

KJ

Can't be sure how you are planning on "proving", so it's hard to say. But I do like Brent's methods. I don't think the markings are not completely necessary but more like a security blanket just to get confirmation at points throughout the routine. I will almost certainly use them but if others don't need them then more power to you. I think Brent's thoughts were that they just allow you more confidence to concentrate on the presentation so what's the downside if nobody is aware of them.
Also, if you shuffle the deck like Brent does then I really think it is helpful to have them because it's always possible a stray card could have slipped out of place during the shuffle. But of course it is up to each performer to weigh the advantages/disadvantages and decide for themselves.

To be more specific, I would fan the deck to show they could have selected any card at any number.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I finally got my deck of cards. It is really awesome! I'm going to work with it a bit without marking the cards at all and see how it goes.
KJ
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On May 17, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

KJ

To be more specific, I would fan the deck to show they could have selected any card at any number.

KJ

Then why not just a use a Mastermind deck? isn't the main advantage of this deck is that it adds that level of "proving" that a Mastermind deck cannot do?
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
This deck is unlike any other deck, including the Mastermind. If anyone doesn't have this, they should get it before they are gone. I'm thinking I should get a second deck. You can't DIY this.

KJ
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
Quote:
On May 14, 2016, Magic Patrick wrote:
This is awesome. I love it. I have shown it to 6 people and each time they were stunned. I am going to get a new one as I am going to wear this one out soon.

Patrick

Can you really wear it out?

Yes! I wore the crap out of my stripper deck when I first got it. The cards are like any deck. If it is used frequently then it is dirty, gets air in them, etc.
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Well looks like it is already sold out on Penguin Smile Wonder if they are going to get anymore in, or that is it???? Might have to get hold of them and find out! His website states it is only sold thru Penguin.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Wonderful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Position Impossible by Brent Braun (ACAAN) (48 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL