The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Corinda 13 steps (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mindacrossrhino
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of mindacrossrhino
Hi all

I am currently doing some research into various mentalism techniques etc and have been working my way through Corinda. Whilst the following is not something I will find myself using (not least because I have very few acquaintances that play chess), nonetheless the 'Mate in One' problem on page 70 has me flummoxed (never that hard).

No doubt this is just me being a bit thick, but for the life of me I cannot work this out, despite knowing the answer (no doubt hampered by my ignorance of chess notation).

In the interests of merely stopping this bugging me I wonder if anyone can help me out. Without giving too much away, my understanding is that the pawn moves one space forwards and how this is converted, however I can't see how this makes for Check Mate (merely Check) as the white king is not in any danger, and the black kind could merely take the newly converted piece and not be in Check - couldn't it?

Perhaps my chess understanding is weak, or am I misunderstanding the move required, in either case I am hoping someone could put me out of my misery and explain how this works?? Please PM if this would in any way lead to exposure, but hopefully a cryptic answer would suffice as I am familiar with the set-up etc.

Without any set-up or divulging the details I'm hopeful this post won't be deemed as exposing anything (please feel free to berate me if I am wrong as it is certainly not my intent).

Many thanks
Simon
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I don't have a copy of the book in front of me, but I believe that the pawn is promoted to a piece of the OPPOSITE COLOR, which was perfectly legal under the chess rules of the time, which simply stated that a pawn could be promoted to ANY piece. And the black king can't take a piece of his own color.

This is really more of an historical curiosity/puzzle and is no way a mental effect of any kind.
mindacrossrhino
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Thanks Bob, that's the answer and I was being thick! Knew the piece was promoted to the opposite colour, but failed to realise that this also meant that this space then became off limits to the black King, because as you say you can't take your own piece. The penny has finally dropped.

Don't suppose you know if this is still a legitimate puzzle move the current chess rules? The way Corinda words it suggests that the rule around promoting pieces was amended to prohibit this, but would be interesting to know if that were the case or not.

As you say this is a curiosity, however I do like puzzles (although as you can see am not especially good at them;-)

Thanks again.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The rules haven't permitted this for a LONG time. Promotion to the opposite color was apparently permitted by an 1862 British chess rule.

See the following for an explanation, which includes the same puzzle published by Corinda:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_......ion_rule
mindacrossrhino
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Many thanks again, shame it's not still current as I like the unusual solution to this problem.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Wasn't Corinda British?

Best,

Atlas
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On May 11, 2016, Atlas wrote:
Wasn't Corinda British?

Best,

Atlas

Yes I think he was from London.
I shall see you on the other side.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1431 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On May 11, 2016, Atlas wrote:
Wasn't Corinda British?

Best,

Atlas

Definitely. At the time Thirteen Steps came out he had a shop in London's Tottenham Court Road.

Barry
mindacrossrhino
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

...just out of interest have stumbled upon this same puzzle also described in "Scam School Academy" by Brian Brushwood.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Corinda 13 steps (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL