The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tricks not suitable for outside. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I was wondering if there are any tricks that you will not do outside?

Why not?

THanks,

Big Jeff
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
Anything that the weather can interfere with. If rain will ruin it, sun will expose it, or the wind will blow it away, skip it or adapt it somehow. That or be prepared to substitute the effect should the elements be ominous. Beyond that, go for it.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
Card magic in rain
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Silk tricks.

a = because they can get dirty. if you are on the road you not always have a magic shop available to buy new ones.
b= if you put silks down on a table the wind can get it.

other tricks wich need refills (mouth coils - flash cord etc.)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That depends on the silk trick. I have done several outdoors. You just need to know how to manage the silks.

I have done Mismade Flag (or mismade rainbow silk), 20th Century Silks and some productions outdoors.

For the Mismade Flag, I was in a position to keep hold of the silks as they were introduced and produced. Ditto the 20th Century Silks. When I did the productions, I had an assistant who took the silks produced offstage and dropped them into a big Rubbermade container with a lid, which was put over them immediately. I never had any problem with the silks getting dirty. Nor did I ever have the wind catch them.

I don't do ITR tricks outdoors because of the wind.

Also, Zombie -- the wind can catch the foulard at the wrong moment and expose the gaffus.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
T&R cig paper
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
If it’s raining you probably will not be performing outside. So, this makes wind the big problem weather wise. As others have even though silks can blow away there are always was around this; Hold them, Put something on them, Have a spectator hold them, Put them away when not in use. I’ve actually had more problems with things you don’t usually think of as light and flimsy; Like balls rolling, Tables getting knocked over (always good for a BIG mess).

But the big problem about performing outside is not the weather it is being heard. Unless you will be working small crowds in very quiet venues you will need a sound system to be heard easily. It they can’t hear you easily they will walk away, especially when they are already standing, as they often are outside.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have performed outside in the rain more times than I can even count. The last year I was at the Texas Renaissance Festival, it rained every Sunday. I still performed. It was my job. I was thankful for the tiny crowds we got in our huge theatre.

Every decent Renaissance Festival act has an alternate show for the rain. Either that or they perform in the rain.

Don't you just love it!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I have done silk effects to good effect. One of my favorite and most sucessful routines on the street is a silk routine. I've also done 20th century silk. I think the biggest consideration for street work is not the weather, but...

1) Can it be done surrounded.
2) Is it easy to transport.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That comes from a real street worker. A trick isn't worth two bits if you can't do it under close scrutiny and you can't get it to the pitch.

You would be surprised how close to surrounded some items can be done if you work on them long enough.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to set up in front of a wall, you will have fewer limits on what you are doing, but walls don't grow on trees.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Four Jokers Magician
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Four Jokers Magician
Cups and balls unless the wind is calm. I learned that the hard way.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
IT does not work well outside. I tried it once and I was busted.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Wind is the big one for me. Cards in hard wind. Smile
I suppose any silk and or paper tricks in the rain, or just after the rain (wet mouth coil, ick!).
I did one ren fair where it was too windy to juggle. You know it is too windy when the REAL macheties drift in the wind! I did one card trick and it went over well. I'm a jester chasing cards all over; it's funny. I was stuck doing a chop cup with balled up bills and a miser's dream a lot. At least it wasn't raining that day.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Some venues do not allow sound systems (noise nuisance).

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
Sponge balls are a real pain when it's windy. They can end up rolling all over the place like little pac men if you're not careful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tricks not suitable for outside. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL